About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Society > My God Can Beat the Shit Out of Your God
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

My God Can Beat the Shit Out of Your God For discussing any and all religious viewpoints. Intolerance will not be tolerated. Keeping your sense of humor is required. Posting messages about theological paradoxes is encouraged.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-07-21, 11:53
Regular
 
Default Honey?

One of the great arguments about God is "If there is a God, what created God?"
I have a similar question,
What created space?
Empty space, I'm not sure if there is a theory for this, but hasn't it just always existed?
 #2 
Old 2002-07-21, 14:42
Bogey Man Bogey Man is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Honey?

I don't like the argument "without God, then what?"
It sounds more like an excuse to believe in a deity, not a reason

If we all just sit around asking deities to give us stuff, we'll all die. Simple as that.

You can't expect any person, with their limited years, to ever be able to answer a question of such proportion without any tools.
When they do find what created the universe, I wonder what people will use as their excuse to believe in a deity.
 #3 
Old 2002-07-21, 15:11
Regular
 
Default Re: Honey?

Evolove,

That is one of the mysteries of theism. God, according to theologists, has always existed. He is the chickenless egg.

Think of him like our entire number system (including decimals)

There are an infinite number ways a number can be infinite.

1. Infinitely positive
2. Infinitely negative
3. Infinitely positive and less than a whole number
4. Infinitely negative and less than a whole number

Just like God. He's infinitely powerful, intelligent, present, good, and loving (to name a select few)

[This message has been edited by Bar room hero (edited 07-21-2002).]
 #4 
Old 2002-07-21, 19:30
ThunderChunky ThunderChunky is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Honey?

There are theories that try to answer that question, but of course there are only theories. And I don't know any of them well enough to feel comfortable explaining them to someone.
 #5 
Old 2002-07-21, 23:47
Nox Nox is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Honey?

As a kid I was always told that the quasars were at "the leading edge" of the Universe. I always wondered what would happen when the Universe hit a wall. My Sunday School teacher didn't like that question.

Something tells me some scientists today wouldn't either.

Nox
 #6 
Old 2002-07-22, 04:39
Regular
 
Default Re: Honey?

From my side I thought of having this arguement sepperate from creation by God, but the similarities of the questions amaize me, which is why I posted it

My retarted logic told me that nothing could have created space, could it?
Because with out space in the first place there would be nothing for a cause to take place in, I don't know if I'm being clear on my definition of space, I mean space like the space between the nucleus and eletrons in an atom, that's just deviod of any-thing, isn't it?

ThunderChunky, could you tell me where you read the theories you speak of, I'd realy like to see them,
Also somebody once posted something about particles(?) comming out of and then disappearing back into space, and I can't find it, does anybody know anything about this?

[This message has been edited by evolove (edited 07-22-2002).]
 #7 
Old 2002-07-22, 06:03
soullace soullace is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Honey?

"What created space?"

I would answer its always been there, along with energy too.
 #8 
Old 2002-07-24, 00:09
Regular
 
NJ
Default Re: Honey?

The Demiurge.
 #9 
Old 2002-07-24, 04:18
soullace soullace is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Honey?

"The Demiurge."

Elaborate.
 #10 
Old 2002-07-24, 05:19
Regular
 
Default Re: Honey?

Please
 #11 
Old 2002-07-24, 06:02
Bongman Bongman is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Honey?

quote:
That is one of the mysteries of theism. God, according to theologists, has always existed. He is the chickenless egg.


You can say the same about the universe. In fact, minus all the personification, god is the universe. Hmmm?
 #12 
Old 2002-07-26, 02:15
Regular
 
Default Re: Honey?

Demiurge is a Gnostic's name for the creator god.

...if you believe in that sort of thing.

quote:
It was far in the sameness of the wood;
I was running with joy on the Demon's trail,
Though I knew what I hunted was no true god.
It was just as the light was beginning to fail
That I suddenly heard--all I needed to hear:
It has lasted me many and many a year.
The sound was behind me instead of before,
A sleepy sound, but mocking half,
As of one who utterly couldn't care.
The Demon arose from his wallow to laugh,
Brushing the dirt from his eye as he went;
And well I knew what the Demon meant.
I shall not forget how his laugh rang out.
I felt as a fool to have been so caught,
And checked my steps to make pretence
It was something among the leaves I sought
(Though doubtful whether he stayed to see).
Thereafter I sat me against a tree. - Robert Frost


 #13 
Old 2002-07-29, 21:55
Regular
 
NJ
Default Re: Honey?

The Demi-Urge is a Gnostic deity that created the temporal world. This is not a good accomplishment or anything, because gnostics believe matter degrades spiritual worth. The DemiUrge kinda cursed purity and light with bodies and time to worry about by creating the world, and as man evolves, hes supposed to try and overcome the demiurge.

Im not a Gnostic though, I coulda totally fucked that one up. It sounded interesting when my friend relayed it to me though.
 #14 
Old 2002-07-31, 23:40
Regular
 
NJ
Default Re: Honey?

satisfied?
 #15 
Old 2002-07-31, 23:45
Regular
 
Default Re: Honey?

Never.
 #16 
Old 2002-08-01, 09:44
soullace soullace is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Honey?

Thank you for the elaboration.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics