About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Society > My God Can Beat the Shit Out of Your God
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

My God Can Beat the Shit Out of Your God For discussing any and all religious viewpoints. Intolerance will not be tolerated. Keeping your sense of humor is required. Posting messages about theological paradoxes is encouraged.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-04-10, 20:40
Disfunktional Disfunktional is offline
Regular
 
Default re-incarnation

Last weekend I took a relatively large dose of L.S.D. and spent the entire night pondering the afterlife. I came to a subtle conclusion that reincarnation is actually quite logical. Human beings posses a "life energy" commonly reefered to as a soul. When a human body dies its energy is recycled into a "life stream" until it is reincarnated into a newborn. Energy is depicted as a force that can neither be created or destroyed only harnessed and redirected. My question is that when your soul is reincarnated does the wisdom and knowledge travel with you, or does it die with the brain? This is not by any means factual as there is no evidence to support it, but it is what I belive.
 #2 
Old 2002-04-10, 20:49
Spiffy McBang Spiffy McBang is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: re-incarnation

What I believe is that this should be in the religion forum.
 #3 
Old 2002-04-10, 22:15
CuriousMonky CuriousMonky is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: re-incarnation

Actually I thought "My God Can Beat the Shit out of your God" was something like the religious forum. But I wonder if something like re-incarnation would be better suited for "Science of the Damned." Any how I believe in re-incarnation and have talked a bit about it under various similar headings.
 #4 
Old 2002-04-10, 22:21
Nox Nox is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: re-incarnation

Be careful of the acid.

Since your brain sends messages via electrical signals, doesn't it follow that thoughts might be electrical. Electricity is energy. You've already stated the rest. Therefore, why wouldn't there be a continuance of the energy? Soul anyone?

Nox
 #5 
Old 2002-04-10, 23:24
Regular
 
NJ
Default Re: re-incarnation

Its sad that it took a foreign substance to make you reach such an obvious conclusion. Drugs are gay.
 #6 
Old 2002-04-11, 03:50
SUPERKILLER1911 SUPERKILLER1911 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: re-incarnation

I never though of that Disfun.
 #7 
Old 2002-04-11, 04:20
Regular
 
Default Re: re-incarnation

quote:
Originally posted by Disfunktional:
My question is that when your soul is reincarnated does the wisdom and knowledge travel with you, or does it die with the brain?


Well what do you remember from your past lives?

How can you be sure they aren't acid flashbacks?
 #8 
Old 2002-04-11, 05:52
Regular
 
NJ
Default Re: re-incarnation

What if you never took acid? I think theres some truth to reincarnation.
 #9 
Old 2002-04-11, 12:32
Nox Nox is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: re-incarnation

I'm not trying to speak for others but I didn't interpret the acid comment the same way you did.

I find the entire concept of reincarnation to be totally plausible. However, the pharonic Egyptian concept of reuniting the Ka and the Ba is beyond me.

Energy is the key.

I have to go to work now....but I have plenty more to say about this.

Nox
 #10 
Old 2002-04-11, 14:16
Regular
 
Basking under my light bulb
Default Re: re-incarnation

<<<<<My question is that when your soul is reincarnated does the wisdom and knowledge travel with you, or does it die with the brain?>>>>

I believe your soul does carry on, and it takes the wisdom that it has learned through you.
It doesnt remember the events of your life, only the wisdom you have learned from it.
Everyone's soul has the wisdom it has learned buried within them. If you can uncover it you can be very wise indeed.
The only thing is emotions tend to put a cloud in front of our wisdom
 #11 
Old 2002-04-11, 20:15
Nox Nox is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: re-incarnation

Yes, I totally agree.

Consider this: Too many people get caught up with flash words, ie, God, Satan, Hell, Soul, just to name a few. Unfortunately, these flash words cause the reader to take on a buzz and loose sight of the point being made. I wish I knew a better word than soul which accurately describes the concept. Smart people, help me out.
 #12 
Old 2002-04-14, 01:52
THC 4 U and Me THC 4 U and Me is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: re-incarnation

Nox, maybe you want the word esscence if i understood you last post correctly, probably not....

I believe that reincarnation is plausible deffinitely. Carbon from our bodies and everywhere is used continuously again and again, why not our spiritual energy or esscence? I believe we hold a special energy in our minds, and our bodies, and energy is never destroyed, it is just converted into a different form, this is what happens when we die. Heat used to be scientificly thought of as a liquid (Cant remember the name now) until that guy (Very famous, and im an idiot for not remembering) proved it was in fact another type of energy.
So i am just waiting until science proves our esscences existence.

As for it having wisdom and carrying it on.... to some degree yes, not the things we have learnt, but our experience, hmmm... i cant put my thoughts into words.... but yes, we carry on, but our learning dies with our brain.
 #13 
Old 2002-04-14, 03:08
Nox Nox is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: re-incarnation

I mostly agree with you. I don't understand why our learning wouldn't be carried on as well.

A friend of mine believes in reincarnation and his theory is that we continue to be reincarnated until our essence (soul) has learned all the things it needs to learn. Ken would definately disagree with the learning part of your post.

Nox
 #14 
Old 2002-04-14, 05:27
CuriousMonky CuriousMonky is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: re-incarnation

THC, I am in total agreance with you.
 #15 
Old 2002-04-14, 09:11
majik majik is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: re-incarnation

reincarnation is possaible. I agree with you in that our essence is carried on in a flow of energy and that this energy is mixed. the energy carries what you have learned from that life and mixes with that of others, therefor it's all mixed together and when you are reborn you have your wisdom plus some. this cycle continues untill a person is created that can achieve perfection in a sense of understanding all. this has happened on more that one occasion( ex. buddha, jesus, confusious.) when one of these people are created and live through life adn die they are taken out of the cycle and wait untill all the energy is used up and all that is left is the perfection of the human essence.
 #16 
Old 2002-04-14, 10:05
Nox Nox is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: re-incarnation

Interesting, however, how can we mere travelers through multiple existences suppose that, as you say "this has happened on more that one occasion( ex. buddha, jesus, confusious.)" that these specific souls/energy masses/etc have completed the learning they require to enter heaven/realm of the universe/whatever.

Nox
 #17 
Old 2002-04-14, 10:17
majik majik is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: re-incarnation

perhaps some of us have reached a point to wihich we can explain this yet have not reached the pinacle, that is to learn everything, we need merley to stide but a while more in the cycle to become perfect.

may luck find you,
majik
 #18 
Old 2002-04-14, 18:53
CuriousMonky CuriousMonky is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: re-incarnation

Majik, again, I like your way of thought and I will have to incorporate this into some of my own. Perhaps we can suppose because we have free-will to think. Perhaps their is no real complete and everything goes on to infinity. It has been said that people experience different levels of enlightenment and understand universal concepts at their own degree of enlighenment. I don't think enlightenment is something that happens only once, but I think it is something that occurs in every moment.
 #19 
Old 2002-04-14, 19:05
majik majik is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: re-incarnation

I can see that....but my theroy is based on the assumption that there is one fact, and when you know that fact you receive the ultimate enlightenment...every fact works of the one simple truth.....as to what that truth is I don't know...perhaps if I studied all the religions I might find what they have in common and find out what it is....but it's only a theroy.
 #20 
Old 2002-04-14, 19:18
CuriousMonky CuriousMonky is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: re-incarnation

I do study all religions. If you look at all of them closely they all have their points to make and some contain more bullshit than others but they all got bits of "the truth." The thing is our understanding of 'the truth' changes and becomes another truth with each experience of enlightenment. Maybe their is one fact, but perhaps this fact is one including all other facts.
 #21 
Old 2002-04-14, 19:34
majik majik is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: re-incarnation

ok you just said what I said backwards and inside out.
 #22 
Old 2002-04-14, 21:59
CuriousMonky CuriousMonky is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: re-incarnation

Well that would make sense. I study religions and philosophies(maybe not all, but the majority I come across) and you don't study religions.
Because you know what I said you know I meant this:
ok,. when one connects all the facts one knows about one object that becomes the ultimate enlightenment of the fact. each time a group of connections learned become an ultimate enlightenment of that group they merge with the ultimate enlightenment carried all ready to create a new ultimate enlightenment.
in this way it creates a spiraling effect.
 #23 
Old 2002-04-14, 22:54
majik majik is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: re-incarnation

OK i see what your sayin....but how do you know I don't study religions also?

may luck come to you,
majik
 #24 
Old 2002-04-15, 00:36
CuriousMonky CuriousMonky is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: re-incarnation

quote:
Originally posted by majik:
perhaps if I studied all the religions I might find what they have in common and find out what it is....


I apoligize if I was wrong in my assumption that you are not in the process of studing all religions.
 #25 
Old 2002-04-15, 03:39
majik majik is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: re-incarnation

It was an almost acurate assumption, I do study many religions but to know enough about all of them would take more years than I have lived.
 #26 
Old 2002-04-15, 18:40
CuriousMonky CuriousMonky is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: re-incarnation

quote:
Originally posted by majik:
I do study many religions but to know enough about all of them would take more years than I have lived.


You and I both.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics