About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Society > My God Can Beat the Shit Out of Your God
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

My God Can Beat the Shit Out of Your God For discussing any and all religious viewpoints. Intolerance will not be tolerated. Keeping your sense of humor is required. Posting messages about theological paradoxes is encouraged.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2001-09-04, 02:12
Moderator
 
Through the looking glass
Default why do you do it?

I'm sure this has been posted before, but I was wondering why some people believe in religion. Is it simply so you can believe in something? I need answers people.

------------------
a stranger walks among us
 #2 
Old 2001-09-04, 02:50
Furyion Furyion is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: why do you do it?

That's the funny thing about religion, xenosss. The followers of any one faith are always insecure as Hell. If people were less insecure, then religion would die out (in fact, it's happening as we speak). Only the strongest religions survive.
 #3 
Old 2001-09-04, 02:51
Kameron Kameron is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: why do you do it?

I click reply but I can't remember why, the only thing I realy belive in is myself; engage Autogod.

------------------
~Kameron
Carpe Aptenodytes! (Seize the Penguins!)
 #4 
Old 2001-09-04, 03:27
Defiant Exile Defiant Exile is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: why do you do it?

Furyion, yore saying people are growing stronger and more secure? What the fuck? Are exponential growths in eating disorders, depression, suicide, and mental illnesses charateristic of an increased sense of security? What the fuck are you talking about, this society exists to degrade and annihilate our concepts of ourselves. Everything natural that would make us happy in a healthy medium has been marketed to an unnatural extreme and reduced to a commodity. No one is sure of themselves anymore. No one knows what they are. They are ridiculed for their religious association, their racial heritage is denied existence, their National origins are deemed passe, their sexual identity has been villified or destroyed in the name of equality. How could you say the crumbling of our foundations of existence is making us more secure?
 #5 
Old 2001-09-04, 07:05
Sol463 Sol463 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: why do you do it?

Why is this such a concern for atheists, searching for answer you don't find in nothingness or man?

------------------
To succeed in life, you need two things: ignorance and confidence.

-Mark Twain
 #6 
Old 2001-09-04, 07:32
Spiffy McBang Spiffy McBang is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: why do you do it?

Materialism is a religion.
 #7 
Old 2001-09-04, 10:03
marx marx is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: why do you do it?

Materialism is a corprate play to take over the world.

------------------
www.opinionator.net

"The last christian died on the cross"
-Nietzsche
 #8 
Old 2001-09-04, 15:17
Moderator
 
Through the looking glass
Default Re: why do you do it?

Sol, are you saying I'm an atheist?
 #9 
Old 2001-09-04, 15:49
Defiant Exile Defiant Exile is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: why do you do it?

Marx, youre probably a Commie fuck, but I love your signature. I have considered using it myself in the past.
Furyion, answer my last post.
 #10 
Old 2001-09-04, 19:29
Sol463 Sol463 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: why do you do it?

quote:
Originally posted by xenosss:
but I was wondering why some people believe in religion. Is it simply so you can believe in something? I need answers people.




If you believed in a higher power than I don't see why you are asking this question. I think you would already know the answer to why people believe in religion. Or are you talking of the institution of religion?



------------------
To succeed in life, you need two things: ignorance and confidence.

-Mark Twain
 #11 
Old 2001-09-04, 21:15
Moderator
 
Through the looking glass
Default Re: why do you do it?

I don't believe in it anymore than disbelieve. i think that religion is real, but not what it is based on. But I don't necessarily disbeleive
 #12 
Old 2001-09-05, 04:26
marx marx is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: why do you do it?

quote:
Originally posted by Defiant Exile:
Marx, youre probably a Commie fuck, but I love your signature. I have considered using it myself in the past.
Furyion, answer my last post.



Not a "commie fuck," simply into thinking about the paths government and economics can/could/will/would take. Marx was just a philosopher, Lenin and Stalin were the commies.

------------------
www.opinionator.net

"The last christian died on the cross"
-Nietzsche
 #13 
Old 2001-09-05, 05:05
Defiant Exile Defiant Exile is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: why do you do it?

...
Anyway, Furyion, where are you? Your post still angers and confuses me.
 #14 
Old 2001-09-10, 04:38
Defiant Exile Defiant Exile is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: why do you do it?

Im still waiting.
 #15 
Old 2001-09-11, 03:35
Onefinefeller Onefinefeller is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: why do you do it?

xenosss Explain why you feel this way? Where do you stand exactly? What is your background if I can ask?


------------------
If you will the rat race, your still a rat!
 #16 
Old 2001-09-12, 22:19
Moderator
 
Through the looking glass
Default Re: why do you do it?

I'm jewish by birth but not by beliefs. I believe there is a god, simply because nothing else seems truth enough. I just want to know why people believe in religion. Like why believe what the bible tells you or the torah?I think most people just believe in religion because by now they're just used to it or they need a way to explain things.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics