About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Society > Politics: Left, Right, and Center
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Politics: Left, Right, and Center National, state, regional, and local politics. Who's doing what to whom, and what you can do about it. How-to-get-action messages are encouraged. "How the government fucked up my life" stories are encouraged. Sharing new methods for cheating on taxes is encouraged. Sample "letters to congresscritters" are encouraged. Apathy and "I can't do anything" posts are discouraged. Left, right, centrist, or any other form of political-economic systems are all up for discussion. Be prepared to defend yourself, or at least have a good line of bullshit ready. Extensive quoting of economists and philosophers is frowned upon. We want to hear what YOU have to say, not what some constipated, impotent, dead guy dreamt up while suffering from the DT's over a hundred years ago thought.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-10-31, 21:59
HomerJay603 HomerJay603 is offline
Regular
 
Default The ultimate punnishment without religion

Whenever I form a political opinion, I try my best to not include my religious opinion on the issue, as I believe that all political spheres should be as far away from religious ones as humanly possible.

On this note, I support capital punnishment because of my political belief system, even though my religious opinion is completely against it.

So, religious thoughts aside, what do you think of the death penalty?

Homer.
 #2 
Old 2002-10-31, 22:33
Global Dominator Global Dominator is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The ultimate punnishment without religion

It should work faster. That guy in China that put rat poison in the restaurant food was dead before 6 months had passed.
 #3 
Old 2002-10-31, 22:42
YouAreNotYourKhakis YouAreNotYourKhakis is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The ultimate punnishment without religion

quote:
Originally posted by HomerJay603:
Whenever I form a political opinion, I try my best to not include my religious opinion on the issue, as I believe that all political spheres should be as far away from religious ones as humanly possible.

On this note, I support capital punnishment because of my political belief system, even though my religious opinion is completely against it.

So, religious thoughts aside, what do you think of the death penalty?

Homer.



I definatley see what you are saying about removing your religious opinion when it is over something political, but of course when it is moral it should be included.

In this case, my political and moral beliefs clash, and are the same, but I have different reasons. Politically, I think that someone taking an innocents life is like stealing. They took something that didn't belong for them, and they should be meant to pay for it, in a sort of reperations way.

 #4 
Old 2002-10-31, 22:42
Regular
 
Sweden Hyperborea
Default Re: The ultimate punnishment without religion

Homer!

As you say yourself, you "try my best to not include my religious oppinion" in political questions. The "try my best" indicates that you have some difficulty with it, and you should have. If you believe yourself to be a religious person and you manage to keep your religious beliefs separated from your politic oppinions, you are either not religious, or you�re lying to yourself.

To me the question is similar to:
"Yes, I know you love your wife. But apart from that, how would you feel if she died?!"

So, with my whole brain at work, if you excuse me...

About the death penalty:

I�m against it, because I believe that killing another human being is wrong (in all respects), as long as I�m not forced to do it to protect my own or other people�s lives.

I�m against it, because I believe it to be wrong that society uses murder as a punishment (even) for murder. Murder is wrong and therefore we kill you, also to show others that murder is wrong. That is flawed logics that we should stand above by now.

FoxLeonard
 #5 
Old 2002-10-31, 23:05
HomerJay603 HomerJay603 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The ultimate punnishment without religion

I am not lying to myself about keeping political and religious beliefs seperate.
The best way to think of this, is: Do you think "what would god want me to think" before or during when you are forming an opinion, then you are letting your political and religious beliefs clash.
If you attempt to prove your point by quoting scripture, you are letting your political and religious beliefs clash.

I don't do either of those or similar things, I don't care what god thinks in how I dictate my beliefs on what others should be able to do, only on what I do.

If you still believe I am lying to myself then I can say only one thing to you:
Kiss my pseudo-christian ass.

Homer
 #6 
Old 2002-10-31, 23:42
YouAreNotYourKhakis YouAreNotYourKhakis is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The ultimate punnishment without religion

Boys boys boys...
 #7 
Old 2002-11-01, 00:06
HomerJay603 HomerJay603 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The ultimate punnishment without religion

quote:
Originally posted by YouAreNotYourKhakis:
Boys boys boys...


I am sorry if this is off topic, but WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT???
 #8 
Old 2002-11-01, 00:08
YouAreNotYourKhakis YouAreNotYourKhakis is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The ultimate punnishment without religion

Sorry I shoulda put commas.

Its not something faggish, supposed to be like if your dad walks in and see's you with a knife to your brothers throat.

Dad (chuckling and shaking head): Boys, boys, boys. GET THE FUCK UP AND GIT ME A BEEHR!
 #9 
Old 2002-11-01, 00:08
Nox Nox is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The ultimate punnishment without religion

I am for the death penalty...religiously and politically.

Life is precious. Some clown decides that he/she can take life, they are no longer entitled to theirs. Case in point, those two DC snipers are poster children for the death penalty. And yes, that goes for me too. And also a yes, I would gladly volunteer to be on the firing squad for those two morons with the singular condition that I would NOT have the rifle that fired the blank.

Nox
 #10 
Old 2002-11-01, 00:50
HomerJay603 HomerJay603 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The ultimate punnishment without religion

frankly I believe that the decision on whether or not to kill someone should lie with the families and friends of victims.
 #11 
Old 2002-11-01, 00:56
Nox Nox is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The ultimate punnishment without religion

No it should not. How about the stranger to a town and has left no trail as to how to contact friends and family. Is this person now a freebe to be killed at random with no consequences to the perp?

Nox
 #12 
Old 2002-11-01, 01:02
HomerJay603 HomerJay603 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The ultimate punnishment without religion

quote:
Originally posted by Nox:
No it should not. How about the stranger to a town and has left no trail as to how to contact friends and family. Is this person now a freebe to be killed at random with no consequences to the perp?

Nox



I think the only really good thing about capitol punnishment is closure to the victim's family. If no family, what the fuck is the point.

Homer


 #13 
Old 2002-11-01, 01:12
Nox Nox is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The ultimate punnishment without religion

How about no recidivism.

Nox
 #14 
Old 2002-11-01, 04:03
kingenrage kingenrage is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The ultimate punnishment without religion

good point.
Capital punishment is there to prevent more ppl to do it again. If they dont value other peoples lives the state indicates that they dont value the criminal's life.
Religous values are moral values. Dont try to keep them out they will always rise back up. maybe not in the same sentence or though but they will. like u were born with those beliefs dont ingnore them.
What sucks is that most of nation's laws were writen by religous ppl. And thier belifs went into them.
Im going away from the subject a bit but what he hell.

God does not want us to take lifes of ppl because he sais the belong to him.
God alows us to heal lifes of the dying. Or at least he said nothing making it a sin.
Why if were taking lifes from him?
Anyone can die, anyone should live. god will do nothing about it... its the ppl on this earth that desside. so u may wanna keep religion for yourself. cuz in everyday life it doenst play much of a role


[This message has been edited by kingenrage (edited 11-01-2002).]
 #15 
Old 2002-11-01, 13:12
Regular
 
Sweden Hyperborea
Default Re: The ultimate punnishment without religion

Homer!

My sincere apologies!

It was not my intention to offend you, nor to accuse you of anything.

What I wrote became much to short for its purpose and (therefore) it became much to dogmatic. (and I don�t even believe in dogmas...)

I also believe your explanation, and that you manage to keep this balance.

I therefore believe that you have a Christian ass, rather than a pseudo-Christian one, but I would still prefer not to kiss it...

I hope you accept this apology, and that we now can concentrate on finding that much delayed beer for YouAreNotYourKhakis...

FoxLeonard

[This message has been edited by FoxLeonard (edited 11-01-2002).]
 #16 
Old 2002-11-01, 13:14
Regular
 
Default Re: The ultimate punnishment without religion

I oppose the death penalty because of the fact that innocents inevitably get killed. If it was an effective deterrent I'd consider that a price perhaps worth paying, but it isn't.

Another problem with the death penalty is that it generates sympathy for the offenders rather than the victims - people sympathise with people on Death Row who are utterly undeserving of sympathy.
 #17 
Old 2002-11-01, 13:59
UnclNastyFingerz UnclNastyFingerz is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The ultimate punnishment without religion

What about innocents on death row?

What about people on death row who killed in a "kill or be killed" situation, which is a common occurence with death row inmates from the inner city.
 #18 
Old 2002-11-01, 14:22
Regular
 
Default Re: The ultimate punnishment without religion

People also sympathise with callous serial killers who are due to be executed.
 #19 
Old 2002-11-01, 19:01
UnclNastyFingerz UnclNastyFingerz is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The ultimate punnishment without religion

Serial killers shouldn't be executed. It has nothing to do with their rights as people, it's simply efficient to study the mind of a serial killer.

And I'd sympathize with a mentally ill death row inmate too.
 #20 
Old 2002-11-01, 19:46
kingenrage kingenrage is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The ultimate punnishment without religion

who should be executed?
ppl who comit twice the same crime after serving a sentence.
 #21 
Old 2002-11-02, 00:59
HomerJay603 HomerJay603 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The ultimate punnishment without religion

The idea that innocents get killed by the death penalty is BULLSHIT!!
Yes, some innocents do die, but over the last 100 years, only 4 innocent civilians have been killed (that we know of). More people die each year from encounters with squirrels.
This should not be a factor in judgement.
Think of the families of victims, do they not need closure?
Think of the criminals themselves, do they really have any claim to life, after taking the life of another?
Think of the taxpayer, must he pay to keep scum alive?

Homer

[This message has been edited by HomerJay603 (edited 11-02-2002).]
 #22 
Old 2002-11-02, 10:45
Regular
 
Default Re: The ultimate punnishment without religion

"that we know of"
 #23 
Old 2002-11-02, 16:16
UnclNastyFingerz UnclNastyFingerz is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The ultimate punnishment without religion

So Homer, countries with capital punishment all have flawless criminal law systems?

Alot more innocents have been and will be killed then you think.

The death penalty also targets the mentally ill, from retarded to insane.

Homer, why exactly should families have retribution? Since when did retribution ever have a positive affect on anyone? All it does is make their anger worse.
 #24 
Old 2002-11-03, 01:35
Regular
 
VA
Default Re: The ultimate punnishment without religion

"Justice."

Anyway, if you're not killing the innocent you're robbing them of their life in another way.
 #25 
Old 2002-11-03, 12:47
UnclNastyFingerz UnclNastyFingerz is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The ultimate punnishment without religion

Justice isn't killing the killer. Justice is making things right, which in certain cases is impossable. If someone gets something of value stolen from them, justice would be getting it returned.

Revenge is only a twisted interpretation of justice.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics