About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Society > Politics: Left, Right, and Center
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Politics: Left, Right, and Center National, state, regional, and local politics. Who's doing what to whom, and what you can do about it. How-to-get-action messages are encouraged. "How the government fucked up my life" stories are encouraged. Sharing new methods for cheating on taxes is encouraged. Sample "letters to congresscritters" are encouraged. Apathy and "I can't do anything" posts are discouraged. Left, right, centrist, or any other form of political-economic systems are all up for discussion. Be prepared to defend yourself, or at least have a good line of bullshit ready. Extensive quoting of economists and philosophers is frowned upon. We want to hear what YOU have to say, not what some constipated, impotent, dead guy dreamt up while suffering from the DT's over a hundred years ago thought.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-10-23, 03:49
HomerJay603 HomerJay603 is offline
Regular
 
Default Would you abandon your family?

I just watched this thing on secret passages on the history channel.
It debtailed a bunker for congressmen under a resort on the east coast. Congressmen could live safely there and run the country during a neuclear holocaust.
My problem with the whole idea was that the family of congressmen would NOT be able to attend. That's right, shortly before the death of everything, congressmen would have a choice, Die with your family, or abandon them and save yourself.
So, my question is, What would you do?
Die with your loved ones?
Or Live the rest of your life with the knowledge you sat in a hole while your family died?

Homer
 #2 
Old 2002-10-23, 06:36
YouAreNotYourKhakis YouAreNotYourKhakis is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Would you abandon your family?

Wow, that's a tough one under those circumstances. I don't think Congressman really should have much of a say under war circumstances but I see what you are suggesting: Preserving the nation vs. preserving the family. If I was maybe a large scale war commander (i.e. Supreme Allied Commander) I might. If I thought I was that intregal to the fight to preserve the US I would. If I was some congressman, pfff forget it. Let some fighting man's family take my place. I'll stand out on the lawn and use my .22 to shoot at the MiG's as they go by. I can't see myself being a congressman in a situation like that. I'd be out there fighting...

[This message has been edited by YouAreNotYourKhakis (edited 10-23-2002).]
 #3 
Old 2002-10-23, 14:04
Regular
 
NJ
Default Re: Would you abandon your family?

Of course they will bring their family, what a dumbass question. They arent even needed for a war, those installations were put there by Congress to save their asses.
 #4 
Old 2002-10-23, 16:38
Askr Askr is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Would you abandon your family?

quote:
originaly posted by HomerJay603

So, my question is, What would you do?
Die with your loved ones?
Or Live the rest of your life with the knowledge you sat in a hole while your family died?


if those were the only two choices...i would have to say i would stay with my loved ones
 #5 
Old 2002-10-23, 20:37
HomerJay603 HomerJay603 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Would you abandon your family?

quote:
Originally posted by Spirit of '22:
Of course they will bring their family, what a dumbass question. They arent even needed for a war, those installations were put there by Congress to save their asses.


WRONG
This was a neuclear bunker build to house only congress and even that in tight quarters.
There would be no space for families.
That is why the question is there.
The idea is that either way, your family would die, no matter what (unless you had a bomb shelter). So the question is would you save your ass, or die with your family??(assuming you had a wife and kids)

Homer
 #6 
Old 2002-10-23, 20:42
Regular
 
NJ
Default Re: Would you abandon your family?

You are stupid. Why would anyone with the power to appropriate funds for and initiate construction of such facilities not build them for their families? Are nuclear bunkers so rare, time-consuming, and bulky that only one can be built?

But in the said scenario, I would probably kill a lot of useless congressmen from impotent states and let my family and my senator buddies' families in in their place.
 #7 
Old 2002-10-23, 20:45
Regular
 
VA
Default Re: Would you abandon your family?

If their family was going to die either way, why die with them?
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics