About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Society > Politics: Left, Right, and Center
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Politics: Left, Right, and Center National, state, regional, and local politics. Who's doing what to whom, and what you can do about it. How-to-get-action messages are encouraged. "How the government fucked up my life" stories are encouraged. Sharing new methods for cheating on taxes is encouraged. Sample "letters to congresscritters" are encouraged. Apathy and "I can't do anything" posts are discouraged. Left, right, centrist, or any other form of political-economic systems are all up for discussion. Be prepared to defend yourself, or at least have a good line of bullshit ready. Extensive quoting of economists and philosophers is frowned upon. We want to hear what YOU have to say, not what some constipated, impotent, dead guy dreamt up while suffering from the DT's over a hundred years ago thought.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2001-06-01, 05:57
Regular
 
Downey California
Default Student Pledge to the Earth!

While being deprived of critical knowledge of American history, including our founding documents, students are being transformed into "global citizens" who pledge allegiance to the earth, not the United States. This is an example of an earth pledge imposed on fourth grade students in a Pennsylvania public school. Notice the U.N. symbol at the top.

 #2 
Old 2001-06-01, 06:19
GHETTO_SMURF GHETTO_SMURF is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Student Pledge to the Earth!

is there something wrong with that...am i blind?

i think it's kinda good that they are trying to teach kids to have patrism (sp?) for the world

------------------
------------------
ok...if you say so
------------------
for informational purposes only
http://spudszilla.cjb.net
 #3 
Old 2001-06-01, 06:26
Regular
 
Downey California
Default Re: Student Pledge to the Earth!

canadian...
 #4 
Old 2001-06-01, 06:41
Regular
 
Downey California
Default Re: Student Pledge to the Earth!

quote:
Originally posted by GHETTO_SMURF:
i think it's kinda good that they are trying to teach kids to have patrism (sp?) for the world




hehe, "Patriotism" in this case means "total allegiance" to "the earth spirit" and the new world order.
 #5 
Old 2001-06-01, 07:14
GHETTO_SMURF GHETTO_SMURF is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Student Pledge to the Earth!

i see it as they are trying to get all the kids to understand that they have to work together to get world peace...did i view it wrong...was my interpretation wrong?

------------------
------------------
ok...if you say so
------------------
for informational purposes only
http://spudszilla.cjb.net
 #6 
Old 2001-06-01, 08:26
Alan Smithee Alan Smithee is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Student Pledge to the Earth!

I am opposed to making small children say they pledge their allegence to anything. One reason is because they have no idea what it means and are not capable to make the decision to do so. Another is because it has a repetitive cult aspect to it which causes them to accept things thoughtlessly.
 #7 
Old 2001-06-01, 19:15
GHETTO_SMURF GHETTO_SMURF is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Student Pledge to the Earth!

okay...i am sorry..i take everything back!

jesus christ! i can't even speak my opinion without someone finding whats wrong with it.



------------------
------------------
ok...if you say so
------------------
for informational purposes only
http://spudszilla.cjb.net
 #8 
Old 2001-06-01, 20:48
cntrdcton0fate cntrdcton0fate is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Student Pledge to the Earth!

Don't do that... I agree. I don't think there's anything wrong with that either. People can choose to pledge whatever faith to what they want. The fact that schools force children to pledge themselves to something they have no reason to trust, only predicts the fact they are going to look for something that means something more special to themselves. I suppose I'm going to be told I missed the point... I probably did. I'm just reminiscing bad memories of that awful pledge and it's in-forcers.
 #9 
Old 2001-06-01, 21:32
Regular
 
Downey California
Default Re: Student Pledge to the Earth!

Suddenly, Alan Smithee is the most self aware replier to this post...
 #10 
Old 2001-06-01, 23:19
Z3m Z3m is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Student Pledge to the Earth!

How is that being self aware?
 #11 
Old 2001-06-01, 23:26
UnclNastyFingerz UnclNastyFingerz is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Student Pledge to the Earth!

That's a beutiful thing. Kids aren't wasting their time honoring this pathetic country. Instead, they're honoring the world, which is their true nationality.

Of course they shouldn't be FORCED to pledge allegiance to anything. My school tried to force me to pledge to the damn flag, and I flat our refused (warrenting suspention).

If we were to pledge to anything, it should be the constitution, not the flag. The flag is a meaningless garmet.

The only thing I like about the American flag is the freedom to burn it, which is the one thing I like about America.

Bah... getting way off topic.

Yes, I admire pledging to the earth instead of the flag.
 #12 
Old 2001-06-01, 23:50
lostmind lostmind is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Student Pledge to the Earth!

"and i saw the beast rise out of the sea..."
 #13 
Old 2001-06-02, 01:23
Spiffy McBang Spiffy McBang is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Student Pledge to the Earth!

Did anyone else just stand there and not say the pledge, and not get in trouble for it? I'm starting to feel like the only person who's ever stood in homeroom with his arms folded, not saying anything, and gone unnoticed.
 #14 
Old 2001-06-02, 02:53
Z3m Z3m is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Student Pledge to the Earth!

You mean to tell me that you even stood up?
 #15 
Old 2001-06-02, 11:34
Spiffy McBang Spiffy McBang is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Student Pledge to the Earth!

Phys Ed and going from class to class didn't burn enough energy.

Really, I didn't like the pledge, so I didn't say the pledge. I never had much problem with standing.
 #16 
Old 2001-06-02, 13:30
cntrdcton0fate cntrdcton0fate is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Student Pledge to the Earth!

... it ended up that I didn't have to even standup for it, I got away with the excuse that I wasn't completely an American citizen.
 #17 
Old 2001-06-03, 01:43
Hero_of_Ktulu Hero_of_Ktulu is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Student Pledge to the Earth!

i dont need to be a global citizen
cause im blessed with nationality
im a member of a growing populace
we reinforce our popularity

bad religion - american jesus

you dont have to say the pledge...you really dont...the only problem is that everyone else doesnt know that and to enforce it youd have to read up and do a lot of shit (weekend project?)....

i agree with alan too...these kids dont have fucking clue what they hell the significance of what they are saying....fucking pledging to whatever the fuck it is you pledge to and use your own make your own fucking beliefs....stop following everyone else god damn idea

el privo

 #18 
Old 2001-06-03, 15:17
cntrdcton0fate cntrdcton0fate is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Student Pledge to the Earth!

It's almost like a poem... with little taste, so it's understandable that seven year olds are unable to analyze it's content, and even if they could, it would be to much to ask of them, to have such political view, towards or against, at thier age. The Pledge involves so much more than just "honor" to America. In a country where prayer is banned from schools, the pledge actually encourages the belief of god. What about those who are not christian or catholic? Unfortunately for those who the pledge does not apply to; certain religions, nationalities(that live in the States), and so on... their are as many people wanting to stricken the tradition, as their are those who oppose it.

[This message has been edited by cntrdcton0fate (edited 06-03-2001).]
 #19 
Old 2001-06-18, 04:41
Trippy_McGee Trippy_McGee is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Student Pledge to the Earth!

That's why I love Australia. I don't even know the first couple of lines of the National Anthem. In fact, I don't think I know anybody who does.
 #20 
Old 2001-06-18, 05:03
sedqon sedqon is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Student Pledge to the Earth!

the best and only way to make this planet nice and hospitable is to slaughter every last human and fertilize the ground with their rotten viscera
 #21 
Old 2001-06-19, 15:58
Anarchist_UK Anarchist_UK is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Student Pledge to the Earth!

for the first (and probably last) time i agree with smithee. Children are the most free people on this planet and it should be kept that way.

I think the whole US thing with flags everywhere is a bit too nationalistic and could incite racism.

a_uk

 #22 
Old 2001-06-24, 19:44
xerophythis xerophythis is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Student Pledge to the Earth!

I live in Pennsylvania and am very disgusted to learn that this is what my state is imposing on little children. Why start at the fourth grade, why not kindergarten?! I just hope the schools around where I live will never fall into that trap!
 #23 
Old 2001-06-25, 06:51
-=-goatboy-=- -=-goatboy-=- is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Student Pledge to the Earth!

They tried to get me when I was young to sign one of those to never use drugs!

But I like the global one, not because of what it does/doesn't do, but because of its message. Those uppers know the kid won't remember the "contract" in a year, they also know that its not valid if they did. But the kid just might remember that the world would be a better place if everyone could work together


(like that could ever happen)
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics