|
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
register |
bbs |
search |
rss |
faq |
about
|
 |
 |
meet up |
add to del.icio.us |
digg it
|
 |
 |
| Network (in)Security Interesting hacks and cracks. Info on firewalls, TCP/IP, encryption, networks, and security. The ins and outs of the phone system, caller services, how things work, what's illegal and what's not, cellular phones, beepers, telephony legislation, the PUC, ISDN, taps, who's listening, and switches. Talking about phones, hacking systems, technical advice, and such is completely LEGAL in the United States -- it's covered by the First Amendment. What's illegal is conspiracy to commit a crime. So if you say something like "Meet me at 2am so we can crack a can" or "I changed my cell phone's number myself" you are criminally liable. Stating "You can crack a can by doing thus-and-so" or "If you wanted to change a cell phone's number, you could do it like so" is perfectly OK. Posting passwords, calling card numbers, or credit card numbers is forbidden on this network. Posting such info will get you booted off the net. |
 |
|
|
#1
 2003-02-02, 05:46
|
walrus_poker 
Regular
|
|
|
|
best operating system?
win98 se??
|
|
#2
 2003-02-02, 07:07
|
FatDaddy 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: best operating system?
Redhat Linux 8.0.
It's an awesome OS, plus the fuckin' thing's FREE from download.cnet.com! That's insane!
|
|
#3
 2003-02-02, 11:07
|
Kente 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: best operating system?
Depends what you use your system for.
If it's gaming, I'd have to say Win98(or whatever. There isn't much difference)
I'd also reccomend windows for graphics, video and such unless you shell out for a Mac.
Of course, if it's programming, go linux.
If it's for network or server purposes, go linux.
If it's to learn about computers, go linux.
If your a cheap bastard, go linux.
..You get the idea now, I'm sure.
|
|
#4
 2003-02-02, 14:00
|
djsam 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: best operating system?
quote: Redhat Linux 8.0. It's an awesome OS, plus the fuckin' thing's FREE from download.cnet.com! That's insane!
Um, as far as Linux goes, theres better. I'd say Slackware and Icepack are two of the better distros out there, if you want the best possible system you're going to want do it all your self! (Either through some sort of genius I haven't discovered or linuxfromscratch.org
|
|
#5
 2003-02-02, 15:41
|
rizzy 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: best operating system?
quote: Originally posted by walrus_poker: win98 se??
i hope this was a sarcastic comment 
|
|
#6
 2003-02-02, 18:43
|
|
|
Re: best operating system?
There is no "best" only best for what your doing, but heres a good system: Best windows: XP Best mac: OSX Best Linux: Up for debate between mac and windows: windows is way better.
|
|
#7
 2003-02-02, 20:09
|
djsam 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: best operating system?
Care to explain why windows is better than mac os?
|
|
#8
 2003-02-02, 20:14
|
|
Regular
|
|
somewhere up there
|
|
Re: best operating system?
What about FreeBSD and other unix clones? They deserve to be mentioned.
|
|
#9
 2003-02-02, 20:16
|
XeNobiTe 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: best operating system?
quote: Originally posted by SpaceFalcon2001: There is no "best" only best for what your doing, but heres a good system: Best windows: XP Best mac: OSX Best Linux: Up for debate between mac and windows: windows is way better.
Win2k is waaaaaaaaaaay better than xp. I've been using xp for a year, and I switched back to 2k last month. Much better hardware support, better stability, runs faster,... And yes, why is windows so much better than mac? Let me guess, you never worked with a mac before.
|
|
#10
 2003-02-02, 20:51
|
Lundmark 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: best operating system?
As for linux,
1.I wouldn't want to type in command lines to look at a picture. /root/shell/qrs/{command},m,%20/picture.jpg
2.I dont want to wait 3 years for buggy 3rd party software to come out only to find out i have to pay 5 bucks to help jon doe out with his college fees, rent, new computer, etc.
3.I like my iMac
|
|
#11
 2003-02-02, 21:47
|
djsam 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: best operating system?
Lundmark: If you have to do that, then you're not using your linux system the way it could be used. quote: And yes, why is windows so much better than mac? Let me guess, you never worked with a mac before.
Yes, exactly, never mind that I use a Mac every day.
|
|
#12
 2003-02-02, 23:34
|
Falcon104 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: best operating system?
personally i think the only worse choice than picking windows xp is picking windows NT personally i like 98SE but i havent used 2K yet if i ever will
|
|
#13
 2003-02-03, 01:38
|
ClydeR 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: best operating system?
I have had bad luck and problems with XP Home Ed. and I justr finished transfering all the files and data I want to safe to a secons HDD so I can reformate this drive shortly.
My big complaint right now is that since AUGUST I have had all sorts of problems with Critical Updates. One set of updates I would have to reload and install every fkg day because for some unknown reson they did not install correctly.
During the SAME timeframe the Windows Update site would NOT work for me. They changed the software at the site and my computer and many other users of XP were NOT able to download and install the new site software. M$ has finally got that fixed after 5 MONTHS!. I downloaded the new software and here is what happened.
Everything went fine, scanned my system and I needed 9 critical updates and service packs totalling 12.2MB. Downloaded fine, went through the complete install and at the end 'INSTALL UNSUCCESSFUL'
I tried everything, disabled anti-virus, firewall etc., advanced settings etc. etc. uninstalled nearly all software, disabled some hardware, NOTHING WORKED!!
MEANWHILEMy computer has been extremely vulnerable to numerous security flaws for many months and has been cracked and hijacked more than once.
I am reformatting for something like the 20th-30th [AND LAST] time since I bought XP Home Ed. when it was first released.
Some people don't have problems with XP. You are LUCKY. GOOD FOR YOU. Some of the features like setting up a network would be FUN if I could use them, but not with these flaws will I use them.
XP has literally ruined my computer and internet experience due to these flaws.
I am going to reinstall XP on a partition and use it to surf and download two other operating systems.
Good luck with XP.
|
|
#14
 2003-02-03, 02:27
|
cense 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: best operating system?
Saying nothing new, the "best" OS is simply defined by the users needs. quote: Redhat Linux 8.0.
It's an awesome OS, plus the fuckin' thing's FREE from download.cnet.com! That's insane!
Red Hat isn't FROM download.com, thats simply one place where it is listed... and download.com is not really a good site in terms of linux... quote: Of course, if it's programming, go linux.
What if you're programming windows apps? quote: If it's for network or server purposes, go linux.
What about the all the BSDs? Not to mention the other many unixes out there. quote: If it's to learn about computers, go linux.
Learning computers is pretty general, by installing linux you will learn a few things but generally not a whole lot that is not linux specific. quote: Best windows: XP
I argue. Win2K is MUCH better for MY purposes. quote: 1.I wouldn't want to type in command lines to look at a picture. /root/shell/qrs/{command},m,%20/picture.jpg
You haven't discovered any GUI software for linux have you? quote: 2.I dont want to wait 3 years for buggy 3rd party software to come out only to find out i have to pay 5 bucks to help jon doe out with his college fees, rent, new computer, etc.
Apache, the worlds most used and arguably most complete webserver software runs great on linux... the fact that the software you want is not implemented well in linux yet means NOTHING to the larger scheme of things.
|
|
#15
 2003-02-03, 02:39
|
djsam 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: best operating system?
Good post cense.. I was too lazy to actually respond to any of that individually 
|
|
#16
 2003-02-03, 02:44
|
Lundmark 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: best operating system?
Apache, the worlds most used and arguably most complete webserver software runs great on linux... the fact that the software you want is not implemented well in linux yet means NOTHING to the larger scheme of things.
But if evey other server os was free too I would bet Apache would be left in the dust.
[This message has been edited by Lundmark (edited 02-03-2003).]
|
|
#17
 2003-02-03, 05:04
|
cense 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: best operating system?
quote: But if evey other server os was free too I would bet Apache would be left in the dust.
Apache runs on almost every version of unix you can find AND on windows... What would take apache's place? I don't think you understood what I was saying. [This message has been edited by cense (edited 02-03-2003).]
|
|
#18
 2003-02-03, 07:04
|
Falcon104 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: best operating system?
also he said it was free. well, arent all distributions of linux free? that is unless you want a box and manual in the form of a book for an extra $30
|
|
#19
 2003-02-03, 07:06
|
xengoreth 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: best operating system?
quote: Originally posted by cense: Apache runs on almost every version of unix you can find AND on windows...
And what's funny is Apache runs better on Windows than IIS...
|
|
#20
 2003-02-03, 23:34
|
Lundmark 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: best operating system?
quote: I don't think you understood what I was saying.
I was talking about os x server, solaris, and the other one. For something diffent, if linux was 500 dollars a year and 10 dollars a license along with every server operating system, then would it be first? [This message has been edited by Lundmark (edited 02-03-2003).]
|
|
#21
 2003-02-04, 00:31
|
cense 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: best operating system?
Linux isn't number 1 in the server department, Apache is in the webserver department. You were saying: quote: I dont want to wait 3 years for buggy 3rd party software to come out only to find out i have to pay 5 bucks to help jon doe out with his college fees, rent, new computer, etc.
And I assumed you were talking about linux. I made the point that Apache runs on linux and it isn't buggy 3rd party software that you have to pay 5 bucks for. If you were not talking about linux, I repent. Othewise, my argument stands. Linux software is NOT inferior.
|
|
#22
 2003-02-04, 00:54
|
djsam 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: best operating system?
BAAH, if anything Linux software is superior.
|
|
#23
 2003-02-04, 02:54
|
Falcon104 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: best operating system?
unless your a gamer
|
|
#24
 2003-02-04, 03:03
|
Liquid-Science 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: best operating system?
Win2000
XP isn't that bad it's just something about it I don't like
|
|
#25
 2003-02-04, 03:12
|
|
|
Re: best operating system?
quote: Originally posted by cense: Of course, if it's programming, go linux. ----------------------------- What if you're programming windows apps?
Well they could program in C++ or any other cross platform language, but as far as programming goes, its more of what program your using. quote: Originally posted by XeNobiTe: Win2k is waaaaaaaaaaay better than xp. I've been using xp for a year, and I switched back to 2k last month. Much better hardware support, better stability, runs faster,...
Lets see: It's newer, so ofcourse it may not have as good support, but most parts will work in XP. No I have run XP for half a year and not one crash TAKE THAT! No, XP runs quite well. quote: Originally posted by XeNobiTe: And yes, why is windows so much better than mac? Let me guess, you never worked with a mac before.
I have to use macs far too much already *puke* Thats all schools (and small business') like. Windows is better than mac in terms of compatability, customizeability, stability (thanks to XP and 2K), and useability.
|
|
 |
 |
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.

totse.com certificate signatures
|
 |
 |
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
|
|