|
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
register |
bbs |
search |
rss |
faq |
about
|
 |
 |
meet up |
add to del.icio.us |
digg it
|
 |
 |
| Network (in)Security Interesting hacks and cracks. Info on firewalls, TCP/IP, encryption, networks, and security. The ins and outs of the phone system, caller services, how things work, what's illegal and what's not, cellular phones, beepers, telephony legislation, the PUC, ISDN, taps, who's listening, and switches. Talking about phones, hacking systems, technical advice, and such is completely LEGAL in the United States -- it's covered by the First Amendment. What's illegal is conspiracy to commit a crime. So if you say something like "Meet me at 2am so we can crack a can" or "I changed my cell phone's number myself" you are criminally liable. Stating "You can crack a can by doing thus-and-so" or "If you wanted to change a cell phone's number, you could do it like so" is perfectly OK. Posting passwords, calling card numbers, or credit card numbers is forbidden on this network. Posting such info will get you booted off the net. |
 |
|
|
#1
 2003-02-02, 04:44
|
Falcon104 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Linux version
hey i was planning on installing a copy of linux but i'd like your personal opinions i'm thinking about either S.U.S.E., Red Hat linux, Slackware, Debian, or Caldera(which is basically all the popular distributions). however i probly wont have them installed any time soon because this laptop doesnt have a floppy drive for a bootdisk, but i plan on buying an external floppy drive but i still want your opinions
|
|
#2
 2003-02-02, 05:47
|
syphon detonator 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Linux version
you cant boot from a usb floppy.
|
|
#3
 2003-02-02, 06:14
|
Falcon104 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Linux version
i sorta figured... Curses! any ideas?
|
|
#4
 2003-02-02, 11:04
|
Kente 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Linux version
Kick into bios and set it to boot from the CDROM.
As an aside, I thought there was an option to boot from USB devices. Not sure, though. I'll check later.
|
|
#5
 2003-02-02, 14:03
|
djsam 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Linux version
It depends, if you have someone there to help you, or access to someone that can help you..Slackware all the way, you'll be an expert by the time you've got it running! (Almost)
If you don't, I'd suggest Mandrake or Debian. I'm not a Debian fan myself, I really don't even like it, but enough people swear by it for first time users, it should probably be in this post.
|
|
#6
 2003-02-02, 15:38
|
rizzy 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Linux version
mandrake is easy to install and yeah you dont need a floppy drive just set the BIOS to boot from the CDROM, i hear bad things about Red hat 8.0 though.
|
|
#7
 2003-02-02, 20:52
|
Falcon104 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Linux version
ok well i've looked at the mandrake installation and i'll probly install that
|
|
#8
 2003-02-02, 21:49
|
djsam 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Linux version
Heh, you didn't even need to I'm sure.
Mandrake, Redhat...easiest things to install.
|
|
#9
 2003-02-02, 23:27
|
Falcon104 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Linux version
i'm still going to go for mandrake but what does anyoneknow about Caldera?
|
|
#10
 2003-02-03, 02:16
|
cense 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Linux version
Caldera is really a commerical company trying to make money from linux. I would not personally suggest it as just a general use distro.
Personally, I dislike mandrake and red hat. My suggestions (from your list) are slackware and debian. Gentoo is very nice as well as long as you don't mind compiling everything.
|
|
#11
 2003-02-03, 02:37
|
djsam 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Linux version
I think the question needs to be asked first.. Do you want to learn linux first before you start actually working in it, or start working, and learn as you go? If you want to learn it all from the start, go with slackware If not, then something like redhat or debian is best. quote: Caldera is really a commerical company trying to make money from linux. I would not personally suggest it as just a general use distro.
Not to mention caldera sucks.  As for Gentoo, I really like it myself, although I think it'll be much better in a year or so. Also, another distro that would do very well for a first time user is icepack. www.icepack-linux.com
|
|
 |
 |
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.

totse.com certificate signatures
|
 |
 |
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
|
|