About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Technology > Network (in)Security
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Network (in)Security Interesting hacks and cracks. Info on firewalls, TCP/IP, encryption, networks, and security. The ins and outs of the phone system, caller services, how things work, what's illegal and what's not, cellular phones, beepers, telephony legislation, the PUC, ISDN, taps, who's listening, and switches. Talking about phones, hacking systems, technical advice, and such is completely LEGAL in the United States -- it's covered by the First Amendment. What's illegal is conspiracy to commit a crime. So if you say something like "Meet me at 2am so we can crack a can" or "I changed my cell phone's number myself" you are criminally liable. Stating "You can crack a can by doing thus-and-so" or "If you wanted to change a cell phone's number, you could do it like so" is perfectly OK. Posting passwords, calling card numbers, or credit card numbers is forbidden on this network. Posting such info will get you booted off the net.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-10-30, 22:33
Xen0cIdE Xen0cIdE is offline
Regular
 
Default School network (theoretically)

Say a school network blocked out everything pretty much. This hypothetical network blocks everything that dials into another computer, uses words like chat, bomb, etc. even if its an anti-bomb site. What are some ways to get around this, hypothetically? Say that you have telnet access to dial into the server computer. Any ideas?
 #2 
Old 2002-10-30, 22:59
cense cense is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: School network (theoretically)

Hypothetically there are 1000's of ways to answer this question.

One way would be to flame you. Another would be to help you. Another still would be to bullshit you. And yet another would be to say something totally irrelavent.

Here's the deal, I can answer questions in a calm, respectful way but you must also ask your questions with a little more thought put into them.

You say:
quote:
This hypothetical network blocks everything that dials into another computer


This makes no sense whatsoever. Are you saying that the machines are connected to a network via dial-up accounts? ISDN maybe? What is dailing into where? What is getting blocked? If *everything* was getting blocked that would COMPLETELY defeat the purpose of a network.

Your only problem seems to be a filter proxy that your computer(s) is being forced to go through so that you cannot get results about "bombs" back. If you can get that clear, I might help, but dont count on it, it seems like all you want is to look at porno and stupid "h0w2m4k3b00mz" sites, and i will not help with that.
 #3 
Old 2002-10-30, 23:21
Xen0cIdE Xen0cIdE is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: School network (theoretically)

Yeah I guess I was kinda vague, and I apologize about that. I'm not trying to find bomb making sites or anything like that. I can do that on my home computer just fine. Its just little things like when I'm working on papers how it blocks out anything even remotely connected to something that could be considered wrong. I'm not trying to waste anyone's time with stupid "how to look up porn sites" stuff. Anyway, thanks for your time with answering back.
 #4 
Old 2002-10-30, 23:28
Xen0cIdE Xen0cIdE is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: School network (theoretically)

By the blocking of dialing into another computer I meant directly, like telnet and things like that.
 #5 
Old 2002-10-31, 00:51
cense cense is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: School network (theoretically)

The term you are looking for has nothing to do with dialing up. More on your situation later. You redeemed yourself by acting in a smart fashion and by being more respectful that I ever expected. I will help you but... I don't have time right now, more on this later. Im a useless poster
 #6 
Old 2002-10-31, 00:57
Xen0cIdE Xen0cIdE is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: School network (theoretically)

Its cool. Its just something I've been wondering. I've just recently got into this sort of thing, as I've just been using computers at friends houses and stuff like that before. Thanks again for taking the time to reply.
 #7 
Old 2002-10-31, 08:47
Akhmed Akhmed is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: School network (theoretically)

Right, a few ways to do this:

1. Tell the school that you need access to these sites. If they are not righteous imbeciles(very, very unlikely), then they will allow you to access the sites. If not, try another way.

2. If you have to log onto the network, then just find out the Admin's or a teacher's password(shoulder-surfing, sniffer-capture etc.) and log on using that. surely they wont have anything blocked.

3. if u cant telnet, then maybe they just blocked connections to a certain port. try SSH.

theres probly more, but im tired. Ill answer any questions. hope i helped.
 #8 
Old 2002-10-31, 15:51
cense cense is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: School network (theoretically)

Quick note, dont have much time... again. Check out this idea:
http://www.totse.com/bbs/Forum11/HTML/000807.html
 #9 
Old 2002-11-01, 05:43
skalez skalez is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: School network (theoretically)

Notice after the first reply, it was no longer hypothetical...
 #10 
Old 2002-11-02, 06:48
Sienthal Sienthal is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: School network (theoretically)

Alright...I don't think I will piss anyone off by doing this . A quick fix, and one that works with our school's craptastic proxy, is to enter the site's ip address instead of the site address. I'm not positive on this, but I believe it skips past listed keywords that describe the site, hence not giving any information to a filter to block you. Mind you, this stuff might be fixed, and it can get to be annoying after awhile. But, if you just need it for information, you shouldn't need to worry about that too much .
 #11 
Old 2002-11-02, 17:22
Dion Dion is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: School network (theoretically)

quote:
I'm not positive on this, but I believe it skips past listed keywords that describe the site, hence not giving any information to a filter to block you


Doesn't it scan the site itself, and not it's description?
 #12 
Old 2002-11-02, 17:41
runaway runaway is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: School network (theoretically)

depends on the program.
 #13 
Old 2002-11-09, 18:45
NTG NTG is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: School network (theoretically)

okay - a bit vague & random this is -but my school has blocks on this kinda stuff to stop us playing at jippii & stuff.

This kid in my year wrote some PHP script that loaded any filtered URI up on his server. Ive been asking him to send me a copy but he wont, anyway, if u wanna ask him, its http://www.jatonline.co.uk

The only thing i remember him saying about it is it uses up twice the bandwidth that it should, cuz it has to "load everything twice" or summat. I dont kno if anyone else has seen something like this, but thats all i can remember about this one anyway. More info when i get it.....
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics