|
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
register |
bbs |
search |
rss |
faq |
about
|
 |
 |
meet up |
add to del.icio.us |
digg it
|
 |
 |
| Network (in)Security Interesting hacks and cracks. Info on firewalls, TCP/IP, encryption, networks, and security. The ins and outs of the phone system, caller services, how things work, what's illegal and what's not, cellular phones, beepers, telephony legislation, the PUC, ISDN, taps, who's listening, and switches. Talking about phones, hacking systems, technical advice, and such is completely LEGAL in the United States -- it's covered by the First Amendment. What's illegal is conspiracy to commit a crime. So if you say something like "Meet me at 2am so we can crack a can" or "I changed my cell phone's number myself" you are criminally liable. Stating "You can crack a can by doing thus-and-so" or "If you wanted to change a cell phone's number, you could do it like so" is perfectly OK. Posting passwords, calling card numbers, or credit card numbers is forbidden on this network. Posting such info will get you booted off the net. |
 |
|
|
#1
 2002-10-28, 22:49
|
Nohman 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Telnet need help...
Allright, so I'm a n00b and I'm probably going to get flamed for this. The problem I'm facing is with Telnet. I can't connect to ANYTHING. I have cable modem, win 98 (yes I know I should get linux, but i'm just doing this for fun and I am an amatruer), and a solid pc. Telnet just crashes when I try to connect to anything at all. I've tried opening it on its own a through dos, but this is making no difference. Can anyone here help me out with this or tell me where I can find a good, up-to-date Telnet manual. Thanks.
|
|
#2
 2002-10-28, 23:45
|
Dion 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Telnet need help...
Crashes? You mean it shuts itself down when connecting?
|
|
#3
 2002-10-29, 00:09
|
Nohman 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Telnet need help...
No, it just freezes, its just a white, empty window. I go press Ctrl-Alt-Delete, and it says its not responding....so I end it. What to do? < 
|
|
#4
 2002-10-29, 00:30
|
cense 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Telnet need help...
Telnet for Win9x has the tendency to do this when you try and connect to ports on a system that are not open, or not accepting your connection attempt...
Go download TeraTermPro (its free), it is a far more versatile terminal emulation program and its solid.
See this thread if you are having problems: http://www.totse.com/bbs/Forum12/HTML/001298.html
edit: stupid smileys messing things up unintentionally
[This message has been edited by cense (edited 10-29-2002).]
|
|
#5
 2002-10-29, 00:44
|
Nohman 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Telnet need help...
thanksm i'll try it out.
|
|
#6
 2002-10-29, 18:55
|
TBPlayer 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Telnet need help...
find methodus toolz 2.0 it's got a connecter like telnet, cept it's not telnet. It's called a "raw connector"
|
|
#7
 2002-10-30, 21:23
|
Chunkmiester 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Telnet need help...
Its could be possible that your isp restricts connection attempts from its clients to ports that arn't necessary in normal internet use. This would be my theory although i have no hard evidence of it taking place but i had three friends all on "freeserve anytime", i was on "bt somethingorothercrapblahblah service", i could connect to a certain port on a certain system yet none of my friends could on there isp- maybe its due to speed of connection but i'm not too sure.
Chunkmiester Mods- any input?
|
|
#8
 2002-10-30, 23:03
|
cense 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Telnet need help...
A sure way of telling if a port is open is a port scan.
Chunky: yes, an ISPs/Organizations firewall can definately block traffic going to the outside world. This could be the case however I did get the impression that Nohman had reason to believe that the port was infact open, and I assumed this would be due to a port scan attempt or something, maybe I assumed too much.
-- /me thinks he's a mod now
|
|
#9
 2002-10-31, 19:15
|
timbotimbo 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Telnet need help...
NMAP is the greatest tool for this kind of thing http://www.insecure.org/nmap/
|
|
#10
 2002-10-31, 21:30
|
Nohman 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Telnet need help...
I don't know how to portscan. I suck. I'm going to download the suggested programs, but I don't think I'll get anything out of it unless someone explains me how to use them. However, I would help if someone told me my ISP blocks outgoing signals. I use road runner. Thanks for the help.
|
|
#11
 2002-10-31, 22:15
|
runaway 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Telnet need help...
quote: Originally posted by Nohman: [B] However, I would help if someone told me my ISP blocks outgoing signals. I use road runner. B]
Best way to find out is to call up and ask 'em...
|
|
#12
 2002-11-06, 04:19
|
laerif 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Telnet need help...
from the link cense posted ---- Try this: telnet drill.hackerslab.org login level0 password guest --- i run telnet, it asks for login i type hit enter up come 'pass:' but it freezes and i cant type the password, any ideas wtf is up anyone else get it?
|
|
#13
 2002-11-06, 05:12
|
cense 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Telnet need help...
How does it freeze? those server can be *really* slow in response. Also, when you are typing your password, you wont see little "*"'s show up, nothing will print, but its still being entered.
|
|
#14
 2002-11-06, 05:28
|
laerif 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Telnet need help...
ahh i was waiting to see something appear n00b error but at least i know now, thanks. --edit:whats the aim? im at level10 now was easy enough.
[This message has been edited by laerif (edited 11-06-2002).]
|
|
 |
 |
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.

totse.com certificate signatures
|
 |
 |
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
|
|