About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Technology > Network (in)Security
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Network (in)Security Interesting hacks and cracks. Info on firewalls, TCP/IP, encryption, networks, and security. The ins and outs of the phone system, caller services, how things work, what's illegal and what's not, cellular phones, beepers, telephony legislation, the PUC, ISDN, taps, who's listening, and switches. Talking about phones, hacking systems, technical advice, and such is completely LEGAL in the United States -- it's covered by the First Amendment. What's illegal is conspiracy to commit a crime. So if you say something like "Meet me at 2am so we can crack a can" or "I changed my cell phone's number myself" you are criminally liable. Stating "You can crack a can by doing thus-and-so" or "If you wanted to change a cell phone's number, you could do it like so" is perfectly OK. Posting passwords, calling card numbers, or credit card numbers is forbidden on this network. Posting such info will get you booted off the net.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-10-19, 02:15
Dante Graves Dante Graves is offline
Regular
 
Default Bar Code Hacking

I was reading through the files on totse, under hack. I came across the bar code files and they seem interesting. But the files refer to a upc.pic file. I'm guessing this is a break down of a upc picture. Any clue on where I can find this pic?

Thanks
 #2 
Old 2002-10-19, 04:51
skalez skalez is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Bar Code Hacking

http://www.studio-nibble.com/countlegger/01/cracking_the_upc.gif

Took me one minute on google to find the article somewhere else that also had the picture.

I hereby coin a new phrase, and therefore an abbreviation:
Google Before Typing, GBT.
(as opposed to Think Before Yyping, TBT)
 #3 
Old 2002-10-19, 11:07
preying mantis preying mantis is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Bar Code Hacking

I like that. Many times have posts been wasted here by people who haven't looked on google. And if you still can't find something go to google groups.
 #4 
Old 2002-10-19, 15:47
Dante Graves Dante Graves is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Bar Code Hacking

Thank you

I'm a dumbass, I'll do more research from now on.
 #5 
Old 2002-10-21, 10:19
skalez skalez is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Bar Code Hacking

lol
 #6 
Old 2002-10-22, 01:03
Dante Graves Dante Graves is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Bar Code Hacking

Ok, I found some good sites and tutorials. I even got my own bar code generator. But I've got a problem. I'm making one for a DVD. I need to have the ISBN number, but when I put it in, it doesn't match the bar code, or the numbers at the bottom. But I can enter the bottom numbers, and make a UPC-A type code, but without the ISBN. Is the ISBN important? The code looks the same, but the ISBN, does not appear over it.

Anyone with a little bar code hacking experience care to help? Has anyone attempted to use one?

I was thinking I'd go to walmart, put a cheapo sticker(10 bucks) over a more expensive DVD, and go the garden section. They don't screen for R rated stuff there(I'm 16), so they don't pay close attention. I think the name of the DVD comes up on the screen, but withouth them paying attention, it won't matter.

I was alos thinking of Werehouse Music. They rip me off on DVDs so I don't care, no cameras. Plus assholes work there. Plus, I was ripping stickers(the outer security tag) off for about 15 minutes and they didn't notice.

So any help or comments please?
 #7 
Old 2002-10-22, 08:35
Jadedfool Jadedfool is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Bar Code Hacking

anybody ever considered the possibility of using excessive or designed barcodes to introduce some sort of buffer overflow or command into whatever softwares interpreting it?
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics