About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Technology > Network (in)Security
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Network (in)Security Interesting hacks and cracks. Info on firewalls, TCP/IP, encryption, networks, and security. The ins and outs of the phone system, caller services, how things work, what's illegal and what's not, cellular phones, beepers, telephony legislation, the PUC, ISDN, taps, who's listening, and switches. Talking about phones, hacking systems, technical advice, and such is completely LEGAL in the United States -- it's covered by the First Amendment. What's illegal is conspiracy to commit a crime. So if you say something like "Meet me at 2am so we can crack a can" or "I changed my cell phone's number myself" you are criminally liable. Stating "You can crack a can by doing thus-and-so" or "If you wanted to change a cell phone's number, you could do it like so" is perfectly OK. Posting passwords, calling card numbers, or credit card numbers is forbidden on this network. Posting such info will get you booted off the net.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-10-03, 05:35
Highlight Highlight is offline
Regular
 
Default What should I read?

Hi everyone,
I'm a complete newbie, but I won't ask how do hack.
Instead I hoped someone could recommend me a book/books that explain the basics of computer systems, OSs, networking and might even touch on hacking (I'm not sure if I would understand it yet though).
Basically any resource that covers the basics I need to know, to even attempt to learn something about hacking.

Thanks in advance to everyone who found some time to help me out.
Highlight

[This message has been edited by Highlight (edited 10-03-2002).]
 #2 
Old 2002-10-06, 03:31
pRiMo_PyRo pRiMo_PyRo is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What should I read?

why no replys?

A post called how do i hack is about halfway down on the front page its by jadedfool there is a whole lot of links under it start there as for os material learn a programming language and read up on windows and linux them install linux and play with it
 #3 
Old 2002-10-06, 04:07
SomeEverydayNobody SomeEverydayNobody is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What should I read?

download kazaa lite, or regular kazaa if you dont mind the spy ware.

now, search for documents, and in the search field put 'tcp/ip' without the quotes. You should get about 20 .pdf format ebooks. Download the basic and moderate ones.

then, download a linux distro or get a friend with fast internet to do so. Mandrake or redhat is your best bet. Then download off of kazaa, a few of those 'learn linux in 24 hours' type book, and also download acrobat reader for linux.

Set the linux up to be dual boot with windows, then access linux, and unzip the acrobat reader into linux. [you can access your windows files through linux] then, you can read the linux ebooks while in linux, so you can do thigns as you read.

Keep reading on tcp/ip and linux, and just learn on and on. When you're of proper age ide say take a few programming/other computer courses at a community college. Things like c++, pearl, and asm would probably be good. and a few other good courses would be ones that you would take to become a network tech.

KEEP in mind this isnt a plan for someone who wants to fuck with their friends. this is a plan for someone whos serious about security, and actually enjoys workign withc omputers. chances are if you did this you would make it your career as well.

i myself plan to do this [not to learn how to hack however] seeing as how i enjoy working with computers, and its just about the only thing I can think of as a career choice for myself.

so yeah....
 #4 
Old 2002-10-06, 10:34
runaway runaway is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What should I read?

read 'Hacking Exposed, Second Edition'. Im not sure who the author is, but I think it's Joel Seigel.
 #5 
Old 2002-10-06, 14:52
Highlight Highlight is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What should I read?

Thanks for the advice. I have already downloaded e-books about TCP/IP and C++.
C++ seems to be a great language, but should I also learn C (to understand the Linux source code) or any other programming language like perl or python.
Talking about Linux. I checked for several different distributions, but it seems only SuSE supports all my hardware (Red Hat probably does as well but I'm not sure).
Is SuSE suitable for a beginner or should I risk hardware problems and get Red Hat instead?
Highlight
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics