|
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
register |
bbs |
search |
rss |
faq |
about
|
 |
 |
meet up |
add to del.icio.us |
digg it
|
 |
 |
| Network (in)Security Interesting hacks and cracks. Info on firewalls, TCP/IP, encryption, networks, and security. The ins and outs of the phone system, caller services, how things work, what's illegal and what's not, cellular phones, beepers, telephony legislation, the PUC, ISDN, taps, who's listening, and switches. Talking about phones, hacking systems, technical advice, and such is completely LEGAL in the United States -- it's covered by the First Amendment. What's illegal is conspiracy to commit a crime. So if you say something like "Meet me at 2am so we can crack a can" or "I changed my cell phone's number myself" you are criminally liable. Stating "You can crack a can by doing thus-and-so" or "If you wanted to change a cell phone's number, you could do it like so" is perfectly OK. Posting passwords, calling card numbers, or credit card numbers is forbidden on this network. Posting such info will get you booted off the net. |
 |
|
|
#1
 2002-09-20, 17:16
|
www escapetwice com 
Regular
|
|
|
|
eMAILBOMBING TUTORIAL
Hey guys, I have a question...
First off, I am NOT a hacker...
I wrote this tutorial awhile back about email bombing... you know, getting tons of emails sent to a single account in order to mess up the mailserver or just fuck the person's account...
Anyway, it is straightforward and written in a manner where basically anyone over 12 who read it and actually do what it says. I feel it is worthwhile to publish on the web because it is original & I don't think anyone uses the method I describe, so I just want to get the idea out there.
I wanted to publish it on my website which I have just started working on recently and/or submit it to astalavista or something.
My question is a difficult one, but by publishing a tutorial such as this, would I be opening myself up to litigation should someone follow my method and inflict economic damage on a person or group?
I am afraid some kid will knock some server offline, get busted and tell the secret service that my tutorial gave him the idea, and through some strange perversion of justice I will be held liable.
Some people have told me that "so long as it isn't hacking" I don't have anything to worry about. The thing is, while it isn't hacking, it would be considered economic terrorism if someone did it, and I know the government would take it just as seriously as anything else.
I really don't think posting this is morally wrong... and I really want to post it.
So anyway, my question, any ideas if I could be held liable for just posting instructions on HOW to break the law in this manner? I would of course include exhaustive disclaimers, entertainment/information only and all that stuff, but I don't know if it is enough.
Any ideas you could give me would be appreciated. Thanks.
|
|
#2
 2002-09-20, 18:39
|
Jadedfool 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: eMAILBOMBING TUTORIAL
nah, but don't post it here, click on the submissions button so it gets into the text archives...
|
|
#3
 2002-09-21, 02:19
|
skytzo 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: eMAILBOMBING TUTORIAL
yeah i would definatly put in disclaimers sayin something like:
"This tutorial is used for puroses of education only. Learning through these methods listed will help the reader understand how e-mail bombings occur and will teach the reader how to better protect themselves from such an event.This tutorial is not used for illegal activity."
not word for word but u get the idea
i have seen disclaimers saying something of that nature before and i think it will help any legal troubles (if any occur which is not likely)
PS just word it so it sounds professional
KNOWLEDGE IS POWER
|
|
#4
 2002-09-21, 15:34
|
www escapetwice com 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: eMAILBOMBING TUTORIAL
quote: Originally posted by Jadedfool: nah, but don't post it here, click on the submissions button so it gets into the text archives...
Hey: Actually, I was going to first post it on my website, then try and submit it to astalavista or 2600 or both. I hadn't even thought about submitting it to totse. I oughta try that though... Okay thanks anyone else have any input I'd appreciate it. I know people write tutorials like this every day and are fine, but the current legal environment makes me nervous. Anyone remember, I think Paladin Press, got in deep shit for publishing a book called "Hitman" which told how to kill, after a hitman was found to have owned the book? I am just unsure what is and isn't protected speech nowadays. A few years ago I would have posted this without hesititation...
|
|
#5
 2002-09-22, 08:19
|
www escapetwice com 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: eMAILBOMBING TUTORIAL
Hey:
I talked to a few other people and they both agreed that this would be protected speech also, so I guess I am going to go ahead and do it. They actually though I was insane to think it could get me in trouble, but with all these frivolous internet-related civil cases nowadays, I think it was a valid concern.
Anyway, I actually wrote the tutorial at work in a notepad, so I guess I am just going to revise it a little, add links, then convert it to html and publish. I think I may submit it to totse as well, if after finishing it I think it will be accepted.
Alright, thanks for the help...
|
|
 |
 |
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.

totse.com certificate signatures
|
 |
 |
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
|
|