About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Technology > Network (in)Security
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Network (in)Security Interesting hacks and cracks. Info on firewalls, TCP/IP, encryption, networks, and security. The ins and outs of the phone system, caller services, how things work, what's illegal and what's not, cellular phones, beepers, telephony legislation, the PUC, ISDN, taps, who's listening, and switches. Talking about phones, hacking systems, technical advice, and such is completely LEGAL in the United States -- it's covered by the First Amendment. What's illegal is conspiracy to commit a crime. So if you say something like "Meet me at 2am so we can crack a can" or "I changed my cell phone's number myself" you are criminally liable. Stating "You can crack a can by doing thus-and-so" or "If you wanted to change a cell phone's number, you could do it like so" is perfectly OK. Posting passwords, calling card numbers, or credit card numbers is forbidden on this network. Posting such info will get you booted off the net.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2001-06-05, 18:01
ticktockbaer47 ticktockbaer47 is offline
Regular
 
Default I've been doing bad things on my computer, How do i totally erase everything.I use ME

If the police check my shit, they might. I've got a lot of shit on it, I'm fucked. How do I erase everything except my software. I'm running Windows ME. Help me out.
 #2 
Old 2001-06-05, 18:10
Jadedfool Jadedfool is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I've been doing bad things on my computer, How do i totally erase everything.I use ME

take the hard drive out of the computer, fill it with black powder, ignite, then wrap it in a paper bag and throw it into a river..
 #3 
Old 2001-06-05, 20:09
GHETTO_SMURF GHETTO_SMURF is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I've been doing bad things on my computer, How do i totally erase everything.I use ME

that should do the trick!

------------------
------------------
ok...if you say so
------------------
for informational purposes only
http://spudszilla.cjb.net
 #4 
Old 2001-06-05, 21:37
WoodyWoodpecker WoodyWoodpecker is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I've been doing bad things on my computer, How do i totally erase everything.I use ME

Use Cyberscrub, it really works and iv checked my computer with forensic software after i used it and yo behold all that info and internet debris etc etc etc was gone. Well recommended m8.
 #5 
Old 2001-06-06, 00:07
Sober Sober is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I've been doing bad things on my computer, How do i totally erase everything.I use ME

I use historykill. It works good to erase (almost) all your surfing info. But what pissed me of is it doesn't erase c:\windows\tempor~1\content.ie5\index.dat or
c:\windows\tempor~1\history.ie5\index.dat.
I don't know what the software makers where thinking...
If you use IE and don't know about these files I suggest you check them out(use Edit or some other text editor).
it is designated a sytem file so you cant c:\>Del *.dat
The first line also gives you the directories that IE created there should be three random names, 8 digits long...
it keeps every website you visited for a LONG time...
I wrote a .BAT file which runs from my autoexec.bat every time I start my computer to get rid of these. I could post it if anyone is interested...but it just erases them from your directory, it doesn't overwrite it 20 times or anything. I guess I'm more worried about other users that the Feds.
Does Cyberscrub erase these?
 #6 
Old 2001-06-06, 01:16
Z3m Z3m is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I've been doing bad things on my computer, How do i totally erase everything.I use ME

Here's what you do. Buy a removable hd cart device like Jaz and put all your kiddy porn on there. Keep the cart on you at all times and stomp on it if the popo come a runnin.
 #7 
Old 2001-06-07, 00:51
Mandor Mandor is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I've been doing bad things on my computer, How do i totally erase everything.I use ME

Magnets work
 #8 
Old 2001-06-07, 03:41
Dewtard Dewtard is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I've been doing bad things on my computer, How do i totally erase everything.I use ME

Even with all the file and history removal programs out there, your never gonna get rid of everything. Your computer keeps logs of stuff you do that not many people know how to access. Just take out your HD and keep it in a safe place they would never look for the time being. Then just replace it with a different one without any shit on it. When the heat is gone just put your old one back in.
 #9 
Old 2001-06-09, 21:07
y2kool y2kool is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I've been doing bad things on my computer, How do i totally erase everything.I use ME

format C:
oh and when u reinstall win defrag your hard disk
 #10 
Old 2001-06-10, 09:21
Jadedfool Jadedfool is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I've been doing bad things on my computer, How do i totally erase everything.I use ME

wouldn't work y2, the forensics they have now can deal with repeated format/defrags. Blowing it up is one of the safest ways to deal with it.
 #11 
Old 2001-06-12, 00:58
Regular
 
-
Default Re: I've been doing bad things on my computer, How do i totally erase everything.I use ME

there's a prog called clear disk that u boot up from floppy that overwrites all the binarry to 0's i'm no computer expert but i think that would do the trick.

------------------
dub.
 #12 
Old 2001-06-12, 16:13
cycosystem cycosystem is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I've been doing bad things on my computer, How do i totally erase everything.I use ME

Use two hardrives.
 #13 
Old 2001-06-13, 04:50
Dewtard Dewtard is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I've been doing bad things on my computer, How do i totally erase everything.I use ME

Or do what I said...
 #14 
Old 2001-06-13, 07:20
Kameron Kameron is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I've been doing bad things on my computer, How do i totally erase everything.I use ME

quote:
Originally posted by dub:
there's a prog called clear disk that u boot up from floppy that overwrites all the binary to 0's i'm no computer expert but i think that would do the trick.




Your right in principle but in practice as the hard disk is used to position of the write head on the drive changes slightly this means that when data is over written there is a shadow left by the bytes that were previously on that position.
This effect can be counter acted by having many passes over the disk and writing random bits rather than 0's. Any good disk wiping prog will do this. The problem isn't to wipe stuff that no longer has FAT entries but to delete all the files so their disk space can be wiped. This is due to windows mania for keeping logs and redundant copies, more over these copies often don't represent redundancy within the system since missing any of them is critical. Bollocks to that.

------------------
~Kameron
Carpe Aptenodytes! (Seize the Penguins!)
 #15 
Old 2001-06-13, 22:42
Regular
 
-
Default Re: I've been doing bad things on my computer, How do i totally erase everything.I use ME

fair enough.
your fucked then, that'll teach you to look at kiddy porn

------------------
dub.
 #16 
Old 2001-06-20, 11:41
DefiKayt DefiKayt is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I've been doing bad things on my computer, How do i totally erase everything.I use ME

wouldn't it have been a good idea to research this BEFORE you went doing "bad things"?

[This message has been edited by DefiKayt (edited 06-20-2001).]
 #17 
Old 2001-06-21, 21:22
exsplosives exsplosives is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I've been doing bad things on my computer, How do i totally erase everything.I use ME

back up your hard drive onto a cdr and then format your harddrive! Thats What i do
 #18 
Old 2001-06-26, 21:55
GothicTrash GothicTrash is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I've been doing bad things on my computer, How do i totally erase everything.I use ME

just stop all the kiddie porn dumshit!get the real shit thats LEGAL!

------------------
����䣧����|�������H��VV죣����VꮥVVH����Р�H��VV죣���������駅��VV��렆����H������Ϡ���VV��
 #19 
Old 2001-06-27, 04:51
m1066ad m1066ad is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I've been doing bad things on my computer, How do i totally erase everything.I use ME

Keep a large drum of HCl handy.
 #20 
Old 2001-06-27, 16:28
magician magician is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I've been doing bad things on my computer, How do i totally erase everything.I use ME

I may be showing my version here... but has any one looked at there user.dat file recently ? And ummm... no you don't wanna go deleting that.

If you worried abotu police... then yeah... you should probably just destroy the disk. Or reformat a couple of times. If you install a whole lot of copies of windows that'll filler up ! (not quite random but... lol) anyway, is you really want the disk to be clean... format it, then clean it, wiping over all sectors at least 12 times (US Military stadard is 7... which means they can probably recover from 7)... then to be safe in stall a whole lot of stuff on it. Ie fill it up with working programs.

Running Defrag... what a great idea ! (won't help much with the security but you sure will have a fragmeneted disk by the end of it !

Also... consider changing operating systems. Turn it into a linux box at the end... reformat to linux standard... then even if they do get it... they'll be interpreting the 10010100101010 wrong.
 #21 
Old 2001-06-28, 18:29
preying mantis preying mantis is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I've been doing bad things on my computer, How do i totally erase everything.I use ME

If it were me, i'd go for
Jadedfools idea and blow the bastard thing up and start again.

 #22 
Old 2001-06-29, 07:16
-Jackal- -Jackal- is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I've been doing bad things on my computer, How do i totally erase everything.I use ME

Just go to www.download.com get a program called BCWipe.exe or BCCrypt.exe
BCWipe utility provides 3 ways to shred files' contents from the disk when you delete your sensitive files:

a. Delete with wiping. Using 'Delete with wiping' command you can delete and wipe your files and folders from Windows Shell (Explorer program);

b. Wipe free disk space. If you have deleted sensitive files using standard operating system command, you may wipe free space on the disk where these files were stored - all previously deleted files' contents become erased;

c. Swap file wiping. BCWipe utility automatically wipes Windows Swap file contents when you run 'Wipe free disk space' command.
d. Files slacks wiping. File slack is the disk space from the end of a file till the end of the last cluster used by that file. You can turn on/off file slack wiping before 'Wipe disk free space' process.
OR wipe the mother with this program, eat it whole. Then inturn destorying the evidence *cough* kiddE p0rn*cough*
 #23 
Old 2001-06-29, 11:17
Kameron Kameron is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I've been doing bad things on my computer, How do i totally erase everything.I use ME

BCwipe is Cryptographicly sound, good random numbers but optimized for the intel chipset.

------------------
~Kameron
Carpe Aptenodytes! (Seize the Penguins!)
 #24 
Old 2001-07-07, 07:51
TyrannyResponseTeam TyrannyResponseTeam is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I've been doing bad things on my computer, How do i totally erase everything.I use ME

ticktockbaer47,

I see that you have had some drastic advice that would do the trick and some advice that certainly wouldn't.
People who should know tell me:

Install and use Evidence Eliminator (www.evidence-eliminator.com) It is capable of rooting out and deleting caches of hidden information that are created by the Windows OS and browser(s) and will, like few other "shredders", scrub deleted information and magnetic remenance from underneath existing files/folders.

To keep any files you want secret and encypted and you are using Windows NT/2000/XT, then use SeNTry from http://www.softwinter.com/

That's it,
Cheers
 #25 
Old 2001-07-07, 08:49
Jadedfool Jadedfool is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I've been doing bad things on my computer, How do i totally erase everything.I use ME

we're confusing serious forensic work with people flushing their web caches here. Those programs won't do shit against a lab with the equipment to extract your data...
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics