About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Technology > Technophiliacs & Technophiles
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technophiliacs & Technophiles The Technophiliacs forum is for discussing any and all forms of tech and other types of social backwardness. Including discussions of strange home-brewed hardware technology. Where to get good tools. How to make fiberglass molds. Computer hardware and software technolgy, including operating systems, applications, networking, hardware, CPU's, disk drives, and other geeky things. Viruses and Artificial Life discussions. How to write HTML. End user tools discussions and support issues. Gating the Internet with other nets.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-12-28, 06:49
winki winki is offline
Regular
 
Default Got A Straw?, I'm grasping....

So my hard drive had the misfortune of incurring a substantial impact with the wall in the room where it resided in my computer. Now when I try to hook it up, both as master, slave and cs, I get nada, it is not recognized at all. in the past i've had something happen to a hard drive and when hooked up again it has give a "no operating system found" message, but this time I don't even get that, just nothing. Is there anything I can do or try to get the data on this drive back? It represents over a year of digital photos, saved texts...and basically everything I cared about that had ever been involved with the computer. Any helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thank you~
 #2 
Old 2002-12-28, 07:49
Moderator
 
Default Re: Got A Straw?, I'm grasping....

use professional help, or you might screw things up more than they�re already done ...

[This message has been edited by BSK (edited 12-28-2002).]
 #3 
Old 2002-12-28, 16:36
Forum Administrator
 
Columbus Ohio
Default Re: Got A Straw?, I'm grasping....

Yes, some of the data removal companies who specialize in whiping clean harddrives of old businesses work in this field as well. Most manufacturers would not be willing to help with this problem, the most they would do is replace the drive. But it's always worth a shot.
 #4 
Old 2002-12-28, 18:22
Wintermute Wintermute is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Got A Straw?, I'm grasping....

Winki!!!!!!!! I miss you..

email me!..
love
Suzie
 #5 
Old 2002-12-29, 06:34
Regular
 
Default Re: Got A Straw?, I'm grasping....

Was only the hard drive involved in this little accident?

I'd suggest trying another hard drive to make sure the BIOS isn't at fault.
 #6 
Old 2002-12-29, 16:29
Marekus Marekus is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Got A Straw?, I'm grasping....

when you plug the hardrive in do you hear it spin?
 #7 
Old 2002-12-31, 14:52
gbowden gbowden is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Got A Straw?, I'm grasping....

If you dropped it then your Hard Drive is probally broken and beyond repair.
I think they can only stand a total force of 10 g's.
 #8 
Old 2002-12-31, 17:08
Regular
 
Monkey Island
Default Re: Got A Straw?, I'm grasping....

Again I think this is the best solution:
Find a friend
Hook up your drive as a slave
If it doesnt even work in a diffrent computer than you are basically screwed, I doubt you have access to the sort of technology that allows you to read an HD so deeply that you can see things that have been deleted. Looks like you'll need a new HD, sorry bout the lost stuff.
 #9 
Old 2002-12-31, 17:39
Forum Administrator
 
Columbus Ohio
Default Re: Got A Straw?, I'm grasping....

quote:
Originally posted by SpaceFalcon2001:
Again I think this is the best solution:
Find a friend
Hook up your drive as a slave
If it doesnt even work in a diffrent computer than you are basically screwed, I doubt you have access to the sort of technology that allows you to read an HD so deeply that you can see things that have been deleted. Looks like you'll need a new HD, sorry bout the lost stuff.



If the data has not been deleted and the disks are not dammaged there is still hope. Get the drive to a data recovery specialist.
 #10 
Old 2003-01-01, 15:03
winki winki is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Got A Straw?, I'm grasping....

Well, thank you all very much for your input.
I did find out that there is a data recovery specialist not too far from here and they do "no recovery no charge" work. I haven't called them yet, partly cause it's the holidays and alot of places are closed and also for fear of sticker shock. Just fyi i will post again when I find out how much they do charge.

Suzie ....I will, and you'll get the semi-annual usual, te he he...something to look forward to! Love you too~

I tried the friends system "as a slave" hook up thing first, no dice...he'd been able to save my mp3's after a similar incident(thank heavens x 1,000,000 fer that one!)when that happened the drive generated a "no operating system found" message with inadequate space to format or re-install windows w/o losing the mp3's. But this time the drives generate nada, zip, zilch, they are just not recognized at all.

Theres likely a deeper message in it all, but that would belong in another forumn, perhaps I'll just address it straight to Suze, nah..well maybe eh-whatever.....

can't answer as to the 10g's or humming ??????, I have them hidden away in the trunk of my car since although I did see them hit the wall, I scooped them up before any high powered magnets could be employed.

Happy 2003 everyone, may it be inclusive of the beginning of the best years of our lives~
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics