About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Technology > Technophiliacs & Technophiles
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technophiliacs & Technophiles The Technophiliacs forum is for discussing any and all forms of tech and other types of social backwardness. Including discussions of strange home-brewed hardware technology. Where to get good tools. How to make fiberglass molds. Computer hardware and software technolgy, including operating systems, applications, networking, hardware, CPU's, disk drives, and other geeky things. Viruses and Artificial Life discussions. How to write HTML. End user tools discussions and support issues. Gating the Internet with other nets.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-12-15, 02:02
Forum Administrator
 
Columbus Ohio
Default priceworth laptops

I have been looking at laptops for a long time now and never actualy got around to purchasing one. Just today I saw this: http://www.accessmicro.com/hotdeal/notebooks.php3

I know that I am overlooking something, any reason why these are so cheap? Any idea of where I could get something nice (not extravagant) for cheap if not here?

Really all I need is something that can run win98, has a cd drive, and can support ethernet. Anything else is just a bonus.
 #2 
Old 2002-12-15, 02:13
Forum Administrator
 
Columbus Ohio
Default Re: priceworth laptops

Ok, I just notice that they have no internal battery, would this be the reason that they are cheaper?

[This message has been edited by Zok (edited 12-15-2002).]
 #3 
Old 2002-12-15, 03:55
cense cense is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: priceworth laptops

yeah, just like the ECS "desktop replacements". Most cheap laptops will also have regular PC CPU chips, so they use lots of power and run nice and hot..

I think the battery deal and the Mobility/Desktop CPU are major things to look out for when shopping for a cheaper laptop.
 #4 
Old 2002-12-15, 04:19
Regular
 
Monkey Island
Default Re: priceworth laptops

I never see any cheap laptops in computer sucess, the occasional advertisment for one in microcenter, and every now and then one in compusa. How much you saved so far Z?
 #5 
Old 2002-12-15, 19:24
SomeEverydayNobody SomeEverydayNobody is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: priceworth laptops

Just a question:

Ive never owned a laptop, so wouldnt know, but can you get adapters for them that plug right into the wall? Ide imagine.
 #6 
Old 2002-12-16, 13:45
d0m d0m is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: priceworth laptops

yea u can, but its nice to have a battery.
 #7 
Old 2002-12-16, 22:02
syphon detonator syphon detonator is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: priceworth laptops

just go to the computer show
 #8 
Old 2002-12-16, 22:47
Regular
 
Monkey Island
Default Re: priceworth laptops

quote:
Originally posted by syphon detonator:
just go to the computer show


haha those commercials are so retarded.
 #9 
Old 2002-12-16, 22:57
Forum Administrator
 
Columbus Ohio
Default Re: priceworth laptops

Oh, don't let the commercials detur you, if you do you may be weak minded. I have found some fucking awesome products there, but I am looking for something a bit newer with a warrenty.
 #10 
Old 2002-12-19, 01:27
syphon detonator syphon detonator is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: priceworth laptops

its your call but i bought all of my three laptops there and they were all fine. one was even factory refurbished but sold at a plain old used price. just dont buy from that asshole towlhead that sells laptop parts in the plastic bins. you know he sells dank goods and wont warrent them.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics