About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Technology > Technophiliacs & Technophiles
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technophiliacs & Technophiles The Technophiliacs forum is for discussing any and all forms of tech and other types of social backwardness. Including discussions of strange home-brewed hardware technology. Where to get good tools. How to make fiberglass molds. Computer hardware and software technolgy, including operating systems, applications, networking, hardware, CPU's, disk drives, and other geeky things. Viruses and Artificial Life discussions. How to write HTML. End user tools discussions and support issues. Gating the Internet with other nets.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-12-12, 22:55
b4d0m3n b4d0m3n is offline
Regular
 
Default Super 7 vs Socket 7 vs Socket A

Hey. What the Hell is the difference. Say I purchase a sweet, sweet AMD CPU which is say, Socket A. This means I am presuming that only certain motherboards can take it. Am I correct in this assumption? If so, what are the differences in the sockets and why is it not possible to mix'n'match. I know this is a dumb question, but I know next to nothing about my box's hardware. I'm more of a programmer-type-person-guy-apple-eating-thingie-dude-guy-thing. Thanks in advance for any info.

'Flameth not, for I shall irritate thy nostrils.' so it speaks in the Book of B4D0M3N
 #2 
Old 2002-12-13, 00:29
bunghole bunghole is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Super 7 vs Socket 7 vs Socket A

Socket 7 = old style pentium, cyrix, and amd cpus.

Super 7 = Socket 7, but newer? same as socket 7 (I think). socket/super 7 maxed out at 550mhz, nothing faster than that was made. The cache was stored on the motherbooard, not the cpu, it was slower.

Socket A = new AMD CPUs. Cache is on the cpu itself.
 #3 
Old 2002-12-19, 13:55
maxpower02903 maxpower02903 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Super 7 vs Socket 7 vs Socket A

I think the motherboards are basically divided in half. Between all mobo manufacturers and designs probably about half are made for intel cpus and half made for amd (these arents facts, just assumptions. actual ratios most likely depends on which cpus are doing better. but its gotta be pretty close.) You will have no problem finding a Socket A motherboard.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics