About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Technology > Technophiliacs & Technophiles
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technophiliacs & Technophiles The Technophiliacs forum is for discussing any and all forms of tech and other types of social backwardness. Including discussions of strange home-brewed hardware technology. Where to get good tools. How to make fiberglass molds. Computer hardware and software technolgy, including operating systems, applications, networking, hardware, CPU's, disk drives, and other geeky things. Viruses and Artificial Life discussions. How to write HTML. End user tools discussions and support issues. Gating the Internet with other nets.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-12-10, 07:43
Iscariot Iscariot is offline
Regular
 
Default To have a naked desktop

I have win2k, and I really despise the fact that I can't hide the My Computer, Network, and Recycle Bin.
I do not want to activate Active Desktop, and I've tried a method I learned on the internet by fiddling with the registry, but it does not work.
Also another problem is, I fear if I do get it to work, it would take away ALL the icons on my desktop, including files that will only temporary be there.
I want it so that I only hide My Computer, My Network Places, and Recycle Bin, but still be able to see files on Desktop.

Any suggestions?

(I know this is stupid, but please make that an irrelevant factor)
 #2 
Old 2002-12-10, 17:28
cense cense is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: To have a naked desktop

tweakUI
 #3 
Old 2002-12-10, 18:02
XeNobiTe XeNobiTe is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: To have a naked desktop

Turn off your monitor.

-------------------------------------------

Nominated for the dumbest comment of the year.
 #4 
Old 2002-12-10, 20:30
Iscariot Iscariot is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: To have a naked desktop

I forgot to mention, TweakUI was the reason was the reason I reformatted just a week ago.
Any other suggestions?
Preferably something with the Registry?
 #5 
Old 2002-12-10, 21:01
syphon detonator syphon detonator is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: To have a naked desktop

those gay ass themes for xp will also work with 2k. the third party software runs on both
 #6 
Old 2002-12-10, 23:20
nihon_dude nihon_dude is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: To have a naked desktop

www.litestep.com
 #7 
Old 2002-12-11, 02:14
Regular
 
Monkey Island
Default Re: To have a naked desktop

geez if you cant properly install tweak UI you should consider whether you should have a computer. But if you dont want to do tweak UI, then X-teq should help, download the updates through the program, and then you can go to apperance and hide all the icons if you like.
 #8 
Old 2002-12-11, 05:05
Iscariot Iscariot is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: To have a naked desktop

I had no problem installing TweakUI, it was the uninstalling part that pissed me off.
I prefer not using a program this time.
 #9 
Old 2002-12-11, 15:30
cense cense is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: To have a naked desktop

You do realize that all these programs do is modify registry settings? If you really wanna dig through the reg by hand, check out winguides
 #10 
Old 2002-12-12, 02:20
Regular
 
Monkey Island
Default Re: To have a naked desktop

quote:
Originally posted by Iscariot:
I had no problem installing TweakUI, it was the uninstalling part that pissed me off.
I prefer not using a program this time.



all you do is delete the same file you moved in. What did you do wrong?
 #11 
Old 2002-12-12, 03:23
Iscariot Iscariot is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: To have a naked desktop

I installed TweakUI after Undoing all the changes I made, but it didn't uninstall correctly or something.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics