About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Technology > Technophiliacs & Technophiles
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technophiliacs & Technophiles The Technophiliacs forum is for discussing any and all forms of tech and other types of social backwardness. Including discussions of strange home-brewed hardware technology. Where to get good tools. How to make fiberglass molds. Computer hardware and software technolgy, including operating systems, applications, networking, hardware, CPU's, disk drives, and other geeky things. Viruses and Artificial Life discussions. How to write HTML. End user tools discussions and support issues. Gating the Internet with other nets.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-11-25, 21:50
Super Moderator
 
Sebastopol CA
Default Sound Card Trouble

I just picked up a sound card, a Sound Blaster PCI 128. I know it ain't the hottest thing around, but I want to work with surround sound and the card that came with my computer - built into the MOBO in fact - has only two outputs.

And while the 128 does have four, it still won't do 5.1. But that's ok with me, for now. It'll allow me to start learning what I need until I can get a better one.
The thing is, it didn't come with any software [well, it came with 2 CD'S, but not that went to that card].

I downloaded drivers for my OS [Win98] and installed it at home - or thought I did. When I went to add the hardware it said it needed a driver and it didn't locate it on my HD.

Any idea how I messed this one up?
 #2 
Old 2002-11-25, 22:32
Regular
 
Monkey Island
Default Re: Sound Card Trouble

Wrong drivers. I reccomend getting a Sound blaster audigy! it should cost about $50 but it does 5.1
 #3 
Old 2002-11-26, 01:06
Forum Administrator
 
Columbus Ohio
Default Re: Sound Card Trouble

Download your drivers from creative.com and extract them to a folder somewhere on your comp, as long as you know where they are. Add the hardware, when it searches for drivers, tell it to look in that folder. OR you could just install all of the .inf files yourself. (right click, install)

And the starting price on a barebones audigy is 87$, fully loaded starts at 117$
 #4 
Old 2002-11-26, 02:17
syphon detonator syphon detonator is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Sound Card Trouble

i can tell you the issue right now. your using sound craper cards. why didnt you just get the game theater xp? trust me on this one from someone who also records bass, its the best shit out there for under 150.
 #5 
Old 2002-11-27, 07:39
Super Moderator
 
Sebastopol CA
Default Re: Sound Card Trouble

Ok, no offense intended, and I want to thank everyones who's tried to help, but:

1.) I did get the drivers from creative, for the sound blaster pci 128, which is what it says on the card.

2.) I did install the drivers before the hardware, when it came time and the OS asked where to find them it didn't reccognize them. It kept saying it couldn't find a driver for the card.

3.) That card was given to me. I don't have even $50 I can spend [shit haven't even paid November's rent yet.
 #6 
Old 2002-11-28, 14:12
Forum Administrator
 
Columbus Ohio
Default Re: Sound Card Trouble

Soundblaster and other creative cards (like the audigy) seem to have great deals of trouble with most abit boards (especialy the kr7a), what board are you using?
 #7 
Old 2002-11-28, 19:09
Regular
 
Monkey Island
Default Re: Sound Card Trouble

quote:
Originally posted by Zok:
Soundblaster and other creative cards (like the audigy) seem to have great deals of trouble with most abit boards (especialy the kr7a), what board are you using?


Never had a problem with compatabiliy between my abit board and my Sound blaster live.
 #8 
Old 2002-11-29, 01:31
Forum Administrator
 
Columbus Ohio
Default Re: Sound Card Trouble

Well aren't you special. I never said that ALL soundblaster cards had problems with ALL Abit boards. But meta: you might want to look into compatibility issues, my brother had to return his card and get a new brand because of this, not to mention that it stated this problem nowhere; after calling creative and asking, they told him the compatibility issues.
 #9 
Old 2002-12-02, 21:22
Super Moderator
 
Sebastopol CA
Default Re: Sound Card Trouble

abit board? Did I miss something here?

What's an abit board [does it even apply to me?]

Dang, I feel lost, irregardless; I've got a SB PCI 128 card. The one I'm using is... I'm not sure, it's built into the mobo. I've got the makers name at home. I'll look it up if you think it'll help.
 #10 
Old 2002-12-02, 22:16
Forum Administrator
 
Columbus Ohio
Default Re: Sound Card Trouble

Abit is one of the better brands of motherboards, if the card was built into the motherboard then you will not have any hardware conflicts at all. If you have any conflicts it will be between hardware and software, not hardware and hardware.
 #11 
Old 2002-12-02, 23:11
Super Moderator
 
Sebastopol CA
Default Re: Sound Card Trouble

I'm not having conflicts.

After having downloaded the drivers from Creative, then trying to add the hardware the computer still says that the driver can't be found.
 #12 
Old 2002-12-03, 03:54
Regular
 
Monkey Island
Default Re: Sound Card Trouble

quote:
Originally posted by Metaphysicist:
After having downloaded the drivers from Creative, then trying to add the hardware the computer still says that the driver can't be found.


Dump it, sell it, return it, etc., buy a newer sound card. PCI 128 is really old tech. Just stop bothering with it and switch up to at least a Live! sound blaster card.
 #13 
Old 2002-12-03, 06:15
cense cense is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Sound Card Trouble

quote:
I don't have even $50 I can spend

quote:
buy a newer sound card.


Read up Falcon, you're just being stupid with advice that has already been deemed impossible.

Metaphysicist: Try download multiple DIFFERENT drives from creative, ones for other similar cards. Try using many drivers, even those fun fun generic ones... since the card itself really isnt all that great, having sub-standard drivers cant really hurt it that badly.
 #14 
Old 2002-12-04, 04:17
Regular
 
Monkey Island
Default Re: Sound Card Trouble

quote:
Originally posted by cense:
Read up Falcon, you're just being stupid with advice that has already been deemed impossible...


actually you can get a basic live! board for about $20. a basic Audigy is about $50. True he can also fiddle with drivers, but thats effort he really shouldn't have to spend.
 #15 
Old 2002-12-04, 05:23
cense cense is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Sound Card Trouble

quote:
True he can also fiddle with drivers, but thats effort he really shouldn't have to spend.


I agree with this, he "shouldn't" have to do this but due to his described financial situation, what you offered was obviously unhelpful advice.

True, "what good was my advice?". Not much. I just tried to not poke at improbable ideas.

Ok, ive completely over-explained myslef. That will do for now.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics