About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Technology > Technophiliacs & Technophiles
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technophiliacs & Technophiles The Technophiliacs forum is for discussing any and all forms of tech and other types of social backwardness. Including discussions of strange home-brewed hardware technology. Where to get good tools. How to make fiberglass molds. Computer hardware and software technolgy, including operating systems, applications, networking, hardware, CPU's, disk drives, and other geeky things. Viruses and Artificial Life discussions. How to write HTML. End user tools discussions and support issues. Gating the Internet with other nets.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-11-21, 19:59
Disappear Disappear is offline
Regular
 
Default Leaving Computer on

Is it better to leave your computer on for a long time as opposed to turning it off and on more than once say during the day? What's your opinion? Do you leave your box running for extended amounts of time? Will leaving the comp on for ages kill it faster?
 #2 
Old 2002-11-21, 20:21
Forum Administrator
 
Columbus Ohio
Default Re: Leaving Computer on

The parts will wear out sooner but not soon enough to matter. Just make sure you have a good fan and a nice cooling system to keep it cool. Also if it is running windows you may want to reboot to clear ram and keep it from getting buggy.
 #3 
Old 2002-11-21, 22:26
cense cense is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Leaving Computer on

There is the other side of the argument:

When your PC is on, the chip (among other components) is hot. When your PC is off, the chip is cold. When you power on your PC, the heat causes the chip to expand. When you turn off your PC the chip cools and contracts.

Having your chip expand and contract several times a day *could* cause it to be damaged/crack... but in reality, this does not often happen.

I personally turn my computer off when I am not home as I generally do not use it for 8-10 hours of the day until I get home, then it stays on until I go to bed.
 #4 
Old 2002-11-22, 00:04
syphon detonator syphon detonator is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Leaving Computer on

yes it will lessen the life of your computer if you turn it on and off but it will have been long obsolete by the time it fails from turning it on and off. dont worry about it, just do whats convenient. i turn it off at night and while im at school because i hate fan buzz and wasting power.
 #5 
Old 2002-11-22, 00:27
Regular
 
Monkey Island
Default Re: Leaving Computer on

if im away from a few hours, i put it in stand by mode. if im going to sleep i turn it all the way off.
However in windows 98 there was a bug where if you left on the computer for 43 and 1/3 days the computer would crash
! funny right?
 #6 
Old 2002-11-22, 03:04
Disappear Disappear is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Leaving Computer on

Yeah thanks for all your opinions. I've always turned off my comp after a 3 or 4 hour spiel and about 3 or 4 times a day simply because my mother is always bitching about the power bills. So much for me wanting to leave my comp on overnight for extended downloading. *Sigh*
 #7 
Old 2002-11-23, 02:10
midas_the_happy_canadian midas_the_happy_canadian is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Leaving Computer on

JESUS CHRIST! MY COMPUTER'S BEEN ON FOR THE LAST TWO MONTHS!

i bet you kazaa users love people like me.

------------------ ---------------------
 #8 
Old 2002-11-23, 07:49
Moderator
 
Default Re: Leaving Computer on

isn�t it like with old light bulbs? The energy they need when turned on is like leaving them on for an hour.
 #9 
Old 2002-11-23, 19:24
syphon detonator syphon detonator is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Leaving Computer on

i dont think its that extreem but when you first boot up your comuter does use alot more power than normal operation.

keep in mind that what you use it for makes a difference as well. reading email versus processign a 50 gig database while applying gauzian blur to 6000 pictures is going to consume significantly different amounts of power.
 #10 
Old 2002-11-24, 02:26
Vinnie9229 Vinnie9229 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Leaving Computer on

I never turn mine off unless I really need to
 #11 
Old 2002-11-24, 05:33
laerif laerif is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Leaving Computer on

mine is rarely if ever off, on 56k you need every second of downloading time, i usually reboot once every few days to sort out ram problems or after installing new programs etc
-
lae
 #12 
Old 2002-11-24, 05:44
Z3m Z3m is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Leaving Computer on

The starting and stoping of a harddisk can cause physical damage. It's happened to me and several people I know (In real life, even!!).

It isn't likely to happen, however I don't turn my computer off.
 #13 
Old 2002-11-24, 17:56
Chunkmiester Chunkmiester is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Leaving Computer on

I turn my computer off whilst i am at work but i leave it on all night- normally because i download stuff all night. Turning your pc on and off quickly about 500 times will probably fuck it over- turning your pc on and off three or four times a day won't. Also leaving your pc on all the time wastes power- if there is no reason to leave your computer on then turn it off, it will save you money. Computers were designed on the whole to be strong enough to stand the general wear and tear of both long periods of on time and also short periods of time between ons and offs.

Chunk
 #14 
Old 2002-11-25, 20:02
bunghole bunghole is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Leaving Computer on

I leave my computer on 24/7 for the sake of convenience (windows 2k starts up slowly!), plus its a part time server. To save power I turn off my monitors when I'm away from my computer becasue they are big, old, and guzzle power (2 x 19"). I usually only restart after I install new software or hardware that requires it. My uptime record is a tad over six weeks; I had to shut my computer down to take out an old burner I was selling.
 #15 
Old 2002-12-02, 06:42
stormybaka stormybaka is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Leaving Computer on

Well I keep my comps going for a few days at a time, then reboot because windows seems to start stuffing up...
Anyone know of a better OS than XP btw?
 #16 
Old 2002-12-02, 08:44
Irrylath Irrylath is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Leaving Computer on

Linux, any distro.
 #17 
Old 2002-12-02, 16:21
Chunkmiester Chunkmiester is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Leaving Computer on

quote:
Linux


Amen to that.

Alternitivly Stormybaka- try BSD or Mac OS

I'd go with Mac OS over BSD though

Chunk
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics