About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Technology > Technophiliacs & Technophiles
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technophiliacs & Technophiles The Technophiliacs forum is for discussing any and all forms of tech and other types of social backwardness. Including discussions of strange home-brewed hardware technology. Where to get good tools. How to make fiberglass molds. Computer hardware and software technolgy, including operating systems, applications, networking, hardware, CPU's, disk drives, and other geeky things. Viruses and Artificial Life discussions. How to write HTML. End user tools discussions and support issues. Gating the Internet with other nets.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-11-06, 07:27
Super Moderator
 
Sebastopol CA
Default A Question

d0m & Zok >> Please forgive me if this isn't the place to post this: I won't be offended should you move it [just tell me where, please ] I may have even asked this before, and when I get to work [faster net hook up, not this 56k at home] I will search: If I did I will remove this post]

I have an unused copy of Windows XP Professional [update version]. As far as I know, everything is there and ready to be installed for the first time.

I don't want it [it was given to me].

I do want a better sound card.

I've seen how much XP's like I have go for at eBay and how much sound cards run that will fit my needs [the card is actuall a bit less].

My question: Where can I go to post this and offer it for a trade?

I don't want to go throught the trouble of eBay. Especially since it is likely thatI would sell the program then spend the money on something else [like rent or food or someting equally stupid ] before I could get a sound card.

Any suggestions?
 #2 
Old 2002-11-06, 18:52
Forum Administrator
 
Columbus Ohio
Default Re: A Question

How much are you looking to sell XP for? I might consider buying it.
 #3 
Old 2002-11-06, 21:33
Super Moderator
 
Sebastopol CA
Default Re: A Question

Like with eBay, if I sold it, I would never get the sound card: I would spend the money first [at least I know my nature well enough, eh?].

So I don't want to sell it so much as I want to trade it for a good sound card [I will use it for making music, so when I say good I mean better than for just games and such, but it doesn't have to be top professional stuff either. It does have to have 6 to 8 outputs for surround sound and be able to work with Dolby AC3 and DTS]
 #4 
Old 2002-11-06, 23:23
Forum Administrator
 
Columbus Ohio
Default Re: A Question

Well, I have no soundcard to trade, but if you want to sell it (depending on price) I might consider.
 #5 
Old 2002-11-06, 23:48
Regular
 
Monkey Island
Default Re: A Question

Do yourself a favor and scrape up enough funds for a sound blaster audigy 2 platinum... which costs almost as much as the retail value of an XP pro update. I dont think zok wants to spend that much. Frankly i dont even know why he wants that disc, he already has a full install CD.
 #6 
Old 2002-11-07, 00:05
Forum Administrator
 
Columbus Ohio
Default Re: A Question

quote:
Originally posted by SpaceFalcon2001:
I dont think zok wants to spend that much. Frankly i dont even know why he wants that disc, he already has a full install CD.



Back off fatty, Don't make up my mind for me. There is infinite reasoning behind all of my logic! As well as infinite logic behind all of my reasoning! Now that that is settled...

[This message has been edited by Zok (edited 11-07-2002).]
 #7 
Old 2002-11-08, 00:36
Super Moderator
 
Sebastopol CA
Default Re: A Question

quote:
Originally posted by SpaceFalcon2001:
Do yourself a favor and scrape up enough funds for a sound blaster audigy 2 platinum... which costs almost as much as the retail value of an XP pro update. I dont think zok wants to spend that much. Frankly i dont even know why he wants that disc, he already has a full install CD.


That one does fit the requirements, but it do be pricey.

Ain't there anything less than the $150.00 or so I saw it going for at eBay.
I mean, I do know you get what you pay for, but I was hoping for a more middle ground that more towards to poor folk side

[Before coming to work I had started to write about why I don't have money to even put away to eventually buy; it then turned intoa whole nother long post that was wayy off the forum's subject.

This time, though I caught myself.

I saved it to disk with the idea of just posting it at SP, thus saving this forum's readers the ordeal; and instead replace it with this explanation, which could get out of hand, too if I only give it half a chance......] ;p

Not this time ...

I'll just say that I am not-so-good money wise: people who like paycheck to paycheck are better off and have more long term plans than I can make now.

[I would have said, here, that if you wanted to know the story, you could follow a link: But when I got to work and tried to open the file I saved it was unreadable: it's gone.

Oh well. Maybe I'll redo it jst for those who want to know.

Then again I can tell both of them by e-mail and spare the rest here
:O

BTW, I see that the XP like mine ges from $120.00 to $175.00 at eBay.

I guess I would want something in that range.

I'd really rather trade if it's all the same to you: I'm certain that I wouldn't use the money for a sound card.


Your turn
 #8 
Old 2002-11-08, 01:03
Regular
 
Monkey Island
Default Re: A Question

Well if you want a lower end card you could get a Sound Blaser audigy MP3 +. Got lots of editing software and sells around 100 $. Next best would be a Sound Blaster audigy Platinum. and then of course as already mentioned up top Sound blaster Audigy 2 or audigy 2 platinum. I would recommend just selling the XP disc on Ebay and put like 50 $ from each paycheck into your piggy bank till you got enough for one of the better cards.
 #9 
Old 2002-11-08, 01:27
syphon detonator syphon detonator is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: A Question

NO NO NO! audigys are rip off pieces of shit like everything from sound blaster. just buy a "game theater XP" it has everythign the audigy has minus the firewire but makes up for it in a four port usb hub. best of all it only sells for $130 with a full featured breakout box.

and dont give me that 24 bit depth shit on the audigy because we all know its useless since it cant record at that bit depth. and where the hell would you aquire prerecorded material at that level. all in all the audigy is garbage. btw the remote seldom works.
 #10 
Old 2002-11-08, 23:10
Regular
 
Monkey Island
Default Re: A Question

quote:
Originally posted by syphon detonator:
and dont give me that 24 bit depth shit on the audigy because we all know its useless since it cant record at that bit depth.


But...But...But... The 24 bit sound! Actually it is being included in some newer games like Jedi outcast (I dont care if you like the game, its just an example, does SOF 2 have the 24 bit sound option?)
Sound Blaster is still a good card!
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics