About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Technology > Technophiliacs & Technophiles
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technophiliacs & Technophiles The Technophiliacs forum is for discussing any and all forms of tech and other types of social backwardness. Including discussions of strange home-brewed hardware technology. Where to get good tools. How to make fiberglass molds. Computer hardware and software technolgy, including operating systems, applications, networking, hardware, CPU's, disk drives, and other geeky things. Viruses and Artificial Life discussions. How to write HTML. End user tools discussions and support issues. Gating the Internet with other nets.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-10-29, 02:19
junglist junglist is offline
Regular
 
Default software firewalls

so im curious... which is really the best? ok, its obvious that a real firewall (i.e. hardware, router, etc) is much better and secure, but alot of people still dont use them. i dont anymore, because im just on a dial up connection now, and well.. who runs a router with a dial up? so the three software firewalls that i could come up with were sygate personal firewall, zonealarm, and kerio personal firewall. then of course theres my winxp built in firewall. ive used them all, so which is best? has anyone seen any comparisons done? any data to support any claims? tests? ive played around with all of them, and have used zonealarm and keiro most. i use them both, on different computers, obviously. just curious...
 #2 
Old 2002-10-29, 04:06
ScorchedWeasel ScorchedWeasel is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: software firewalls

For about a month I was running four computers off of one 56k connection, and yeah it sucked
 #3 
Old 2002-10-29, 04:31
Moderator
 
Default Re: software firewalls

portblocker as a part of a collection of little tools. Sometimes Word fucks up ...
 #4 
Old 2002-10-29, 09:09
skalez skalez is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: software firewalls

Don't really know, but there's probably some article in some magazine SOMEWHERE on the net that does a comparison, I think I saw one and that's why I hate Black Ice.
 #5 
Old 2002-10-29, 13:33
cense cense is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: software firewalls

IPTables It's clearly the most versatile.
However, I know you were asking about a windows based firewall with a GUI and all so I will say kerio personal firewall. It seems to work well and its lightweight.
 #6 
Old 2002-10-29, 16:07
Jadedfool Jadedfool is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: software firewalls

all firewalls are software. Sometimes they run off of specialized hardware, but they're all software...
 #7 
Old 2002-10-30, 16:30
SomeEverydayNobody SomeEverydayNobody is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: software firewalls

I have a big brick wall in my room, that my phone line goes through. Every morning I set it on fire, and i havent been ha.,0red up yet by the 1337 kewls!
 #8 
Old 2002-10-30, 17:53
Regular
 
somewhere up there
Default Re: software firewalls

Lol. I'm using 56k dial-up and I use Zone Alarm Pro but Zone Alarm does the job just as well. I haven't tried the others so I have to say Zone Alarm.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics