|
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
register |
bbs |
search |
rss |
faq |
about
|
 |
 |
meet up |
add to del.icio.us |
digg it
|
 |
 |
| Technophiliacs & Technophiles The Technophiliacs forum is for discussing any and all forms of tech and other types of social backwardness. Including discussions of strange home-brewed hardware technology. Where to get good tools. How to make fiberglass molds. Computer hardware and software technolgy, including operating systems, applications, networking, hardware, CPU's, disk drives, and other geeky things. Viruses and Artificial Life discussions. How to write HTML. End user tools discussions and support issues. Gating the Internet with other nets. |
 |
|
|
#1
 2002-10-28, 07:25
|
cntrdcton0fate 
Regular
|
|
|
|
imposed sharing...
The sharing for my computer, situated in a complex that shares our connection, seems to share everything on my computer by default,.. as in upon starting my computer the sharing properties is automatically placed on "Share this file", in reference to my two hard drivers.
Of course I can simply select the option "Do not share this file" and I presume that my hard disks are no longer shared, but then to restart of turn-off and my computer will just reset this. Back to "Share this file". If I attempt to enter the "Permission" options and change sharing a warning message informs me that my disks are shared with "Administrative Powers"... but yeah I own my computer, hence I'm the administrator. Etc.
My questions stem from this... what's up? Does this have something to do with the provider my building uses? Are they forcing sharing on their network? It's not only my computer that shares this problem. Other computers in my building have the same problem. Can I change this? On my computer? Is their some apparent danger I have overlooked? Something like that...
|
|
#2
 2002-10-28, 09:18
|
skalez 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: imposed sharing...
Find out who your administrator is, and ask him/her.
|
|
#3
 2002-10-28, 14:56
|
cntrdcton0fate 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: imposed sharing...
......
that's basically me.. as I understand it. And if it isn't, and you're referring to the building's network, there are some issues. Still the same questions apply...
...and because I think it would be useful to know, I run Win2000.
|
|
#4
 2002-10-28, 15:15
|
cense 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: imposed sharing...
Win2000 shares ALL FIXED DISKS by default as long as the "server" service is running. This means your shares will be open for connection to anyone by:
\\YOURCOMP\C$ \\YOURCOMP\D$
You must go into your services configuration and stop the "server" service from automatically starting up. This, however, fucks with MS Networking and your comp will no longer show up in "Network Places" or "Network Neighborhood" on other computers on the network... I have yet to figure out another way of turning off the auto-shares in Win2K.
|
|
#5
 2002-10-28, 17:23
|
cntrdcton0fate 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: imposed sharing...
....
thanks,.. relief and understanding...
|
|
#6
 2002-10-28, 19:07
|
syphon detonator 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: imposed sharing...
iv never had that issue. are you talking domaine only here? i dont use domaines which could explain it
|
|
#7
 2002-10-29, 00:26
|
cense 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: imposed sharing...
nope, on any Win2K Pro the issue above is present. Test it.
|
|
#8
 2002-10-29, 00:27
|
syphon detonator 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: imposed sharing...
no prob for me, wierd
|
|
#9
 2002-10-29, 00:57
|
|
Moderator
|
|
Facedown in the shag rug.
|
|
Re: imposed sharing...
I've left the sharing alone on my Win2k box, and just put a monster admin password for access.
|
|
 |
 |
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.

totse.com certificate signatures
|
 |
 |
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
|
|