About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Technology > Technophiliacs & Technophiles
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technophiliacs & Technophiles The Technophiliacs forum is for discussing any and all forms of tech and other types of social backwardness. Including discussions of strange home-brewed hardware technology. Where to get good tools. How to make fiberglass molds. Computer hardware and software technolgy, including operating systems, applications, networking, hardware, CPU's, disk drives, and other geeky things. Viruses and Artificial Life discussions. How to write HTML. End user tools discussions and support issues. Gating the Internet with other nets.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-10-23, 15:04
SomeEverydayNobody SomeEverydayNobody is offline
Regular
 
Default BIOS Issue.....

Just a minute ago I was in my bios to check what my CPU ratio was, because I was curious about whether my system bus speed was 100 or 133..... In any case I found out it was infact 133 [as I figured] but theres something I noticed. All of this was in the CPU PnP Setup section. It contained CPU brand, type, speed, and ratio. However, I couldnt select any of them, to change them. They're like not changable. In the manual it says that this section lets me maually alter CPU settings, but mentions nothing about how it may be off limits. Also, on the America Megatrends websit, I couldnt find any help about this really.

Anyone else using AMIBIOS have this problem? Or anyt other bios for that matter. Just wondering how I could iunfact edit the settings?
 #2 
Old 2002-10-23, 18:33
Moderator
 
Through the looking glass
Default Re: BIOS Issue.....

How would you be able to change the speed and type and brand of your CPU?
 #3 
Old 2002-10-23, 19:09
UbiloZ UbiloZ is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: BIOS Issue.....

Edit:I didn't know people here got pist off so easily. Sorry, and I'll pay more attention in the future.

[This message has been edited by UbiloZ (edited 10-23-2002).]
 #4 
Old 2002-10-23, 20:52
Forum Administrator
 
Columbus Ohio
Default Re: BIOS Issue.....

quote:
Originally posted by UbiloZ:
Update your computer.


What the hell is that supposed to mean? Do you have any idea what you are talking about or are you just posting flippant responces to make yourself look more intelligent. I am sorry for going off topic, but UbiloZ has offered no real support what so ever. He just says things like "read the manual", "use google", and "update your computer"... NO KIDDING! I can understand how most people would neglect google, but is "update your computer" any kind of responce? How the fuck is he supposed to do that if his BIOS wont even load proporly? Do you even understand the man's question? You are not helping, only pissing people off. Don't disrespect people who know more than you, much less anybody who isn't a newb.

As for the question at hand: if it is a BIOS problem you should contact the manufacturer of your motherboard or the makers of the BIOS chip. Also try flashing the BIOS to reset the defaults.

[This message has been edited by Zok (edited 10-23-2002).]
 #5 
Old 2002-10-24, 00:31
Moderator
 
Facedown in the shag rug.
Default Re: BIOS Issue.....

I don't think it's really a problem. If your manual says you can change CPU settings, it just means you can change bus and multiplier and possibly voltage settings. If there's no option in the BIOS, then it probably uses jumpers on the board itself.
 #6 
Old 2002-10-24, 03:39
KrayzieVanh KrayzieVanh is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: BIOS Issue.....

Check your jumper to see of there is a lock to the BIOS. Some MOBO has jumpers you can set in order for you to change settings in the BIOS.
 #7 
Old 2002-10-24, 12:46
SomeEverydayNobody SomeEverydayNobody is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: BIOS Issue.....

No, the MB doesn't use jumpers for the CPU ratio. That was the first thing I checked for. It is covered through the BIOS.

I contacted AMI and am awaiting to hear back from them, and as so0on as I do Ill go forth with either their suggestion, or zoks. I only question their suggestion because often when getting tech support from companies they dick you around for a few days, and usually their first suggetions are pretty useless ones.....
 #8 
Old 2002-11-01, 02:38
Regular
 
Monkey Island
Default Re: BIOS Issue.....

I dont mess with my bios too much, nothing that will allow secret hidden powers there! LOL
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics