quote:
Originally posted by Zok:
X-Rays are illegal to use without a license because they cause cancer if over used. Plus they are pretty damn big. As far as the sony thing, that was a glitch with the nightvision/heat detection mechanism which was soon taken off the market err at least recalled. I don't know of any other good way to do it.
There was a book I remember reading in Jr. high. It was way old then [copyright 1924, I think]. I've been looking for it almost since then.
It's called 'The Boy Electrician' by Alfred P. Morgan. It had some great sh*t in there to build - and some whacked out stuff too!
I mean, with some of that stuff, it's no wonder the life expectance was way lower than today.
Besides the old standards like making a Van der Graff generator [which, by the way, are a total blast to fool with], there is one project that used an ordinary vacuum tube [a penny a dozen when the book was written, but still to be found today].
What it did with the tube was to [I can't remember specifics - it was 1975 that I read this, after all ;-) ] somehow boost the operating frequency of the tube so that it produced X-rays!
After building the unit it told you things you could do -
including taking an X-ray of your hand. Though, to be fair, it
did tell you to limit your exposure.
Remember the book was the
Boy electrician: it was meant for boys about 12 years old!
Another fun one involved a Van der Graff and I forget what all else. But it was labled as an 'Atom smasher'.
This one said to not even be in the room when it was operating! So you can imagine what it was actually spewing out.
Oh to find the book [for less than $40.00, which is the price of the last copy I saw]