About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Technology > Technophiliacs & Technophiles
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technophiliacs & Technophiles The Technophiliacs forum is for discussing any and all forms of tech and other types of social backwardness. Including discussions of strange home-brewed hardware technology. Where to get good tools. How to make fiberglass molds. Computer hardware and software technolgy, including operating systems, applications, networking, hardware, CPU's, disk drives, and other geeky things. Viruses and Artificial Life discussions. How to write HTML. End user tools discussions and support issues. Gating the Internet with other nets.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-10-16, 08:20
Super Moderator
 
Sebastopol CA
Default Spastic HD

First let me say I'm sorry if this has been brought up here. I gave a brief [very brief] check of the forum, but I could have done better, I guess.

My computer at work has a hyperactive hard drive. I'll be sitting there just reading some file [not even always when I'm on the web], and the HD will just be going and going like it was injected with a half gram of well made crank.

I look around the task manager and see nothing to account for it [not that expected to].

I'm stumped; and just a bit concerned: It has been suggested that it is a virus [if so, I have no idea what it's doing as my computer otherwise seems ok].

Is it possible that information is being read remotely?

Am I concerned over nothing?

Help please


Call me paranoid.......
 #2 
Old 2002-10-16, 08:26
Moderator
 
Default Re: Spastic HD

maybe you don�t have that much RAM, and while you�re reading, your drive has to read the swap file all the time.
 #3 
Old 2002-10-16, 17:24
Super Moderator
 
Sebastopol CA
Default Re: Spastic HD

As taken from system information:


Total Physical Memory 129,260 KB
Available Physical Memory 8,400 KB
Total Virtual Memory 439,220 KB
Available Virtual Memory 211,888 KB
Page File Space 309,960 KB


So?

That wasn't the problem, was it?

Man. it's driving me to distraction, thinking what might be going on.
 #4 
Old 2002-10-16, 22:41
Moderator
 
Default Re: Spastic HD

if you have anything else than Unix, yes it was.
 #5 
Old 2002-10-16, 23:47
Moderator
 
Facedown in the shag rug.
Default Re: Spastic HD

Definitely looks like a RAM shortage.

A defrag might quiet things down a little bit, but it's still gonna keep accessing things.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics