About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Technology > Technophiliacs & Technophiles
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technophiliacs & Technophiles The Technophiliacs forum is for discussing any and all forms of tech and other types of social backwardness. Including discussions of strange home-brewed hardware technology. Where to get good tools. How to make fiberglass molds. Computer hardware and software technolgy, including operating systems, applications, networking, hardware, CPU's, disk drives, and other geeky things. Viruses and Artificial Life discussions. How to write HTML. End user tools discussions and support issues. Gating the Internet with other nets.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-10-15, 01:36
d0m d0m is offline
Regular
 
Default Apple to use new chips manufactured by IBM

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/techinnovations/2002-10-14-apple-ibm_x.htm
 #2 
Old 2002-10-15, 12:13
macdonalder macdonalder is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Apple to use new chips manufactured by IBM

yeah... there's been talk about this for a while... doesn't really surprise me...

both AMD and Intel have been developing 64's for a while now and it makes sense that Apple would want the same for their computers... without having to switch to Intel or AMD (there was a rumour of that for a little while too )

The key point though, and the article does mention this, although very it is very subtle about it, is that these chips won't be around until middle of next year... i.e. almost a year from now, and know how companies have a tendancy to push release dates back as much as a month or two, I wouldn't be surprised if it's an entire year before any of these things are available retail.

nevertheless... having any kind of 64 in my box would make me a happy boy

[This message has been edited by macdonalder (edited 10-15-2002).]
 #3 
Old 2002-10-16, 07:59
Super Moderator
 
Sebastopol CA
Default Re: Apple to use new chips manufactured by IBM

Would that then mean Apple might, perhaps, loosen their stranglehold they have on locking up almost all available G4's?

It would be nice to see the A-1's get them sooner than later [I wish to hell I could afford one of the G3 versions even, when they come out - soon I think/I hope].


More important: I am looking very much forward to AmigaOS 4.0: And there really ain't much these days that I can say that I look forward to So naturally the one thing I do, I won't be able to afford. Goes without saying, really...]


[This message has been edited by Metaphysicist (edited 10-16-2002).]
 #4 
Old 2002-10-16, 08:17
Moderator
 
Default Re: Apple to use new chips manufactured by IBM

send me an email when it�s time o�d man, your wishes ...
 #5 
Old 2002-10-16, 17:29
Super Moderator
 
Sebastopol CA
Default Re: Apple to use new chips manufactured by IBM

Ok, I really tried and I know I'm gonna look like a right twit, but I gotta say:


???? [Huh?]
 #6 
Old 2002-10-16, 22:37
Moderator
 
Default Re: Apple to use new chips manufactured by IBM

is it out yet?
 #7 
Old 2002-10-17, 10:26
Super Moderator
 
Sebastopol CA
Default Re: Apple to use new chips manufactured by IBM

I think around November.

I did refer you to a site or two for information, didn't I?

If not, I can if you'd like [Amiga users have always been avid [or is it rabid?] promoters of it.
 #8 
Old 2002-10-17, 16:37
Moderator
 
Default Re: Apple to use new chips manufactured by IBM

yes, I remember. It�s just that I still know some people from the scene here. So if you want to have it ...
 #9 
Old 2002-10-17, 21:32
Super Moderator
 
Sebastopol CA
Default Re: Apple to use new chips manufactured by IBM

Yes, the light dawns on me; I get it. And thanx for the offer.

They are going to have anti-piracy device in the form of a BIOS [I think, I can check on that] that will be required in any computer that is to run the OS [There's a whole bit of melodrama involving an 'alternate' OS that has kinda split the community. There's going to be a PPC board for that OS too and I guess Amiga doesn't want anyone to just get the OS and put it on another computer. I think there was also talk of trying to get it to run on G3 & G4 Macs].

So I don't know how much luck those you know will have [though I know it's not luck, well, mostly not luck, but skill. and seeing that I know next to nothing in this area, I could be oh so wrong.]

Check your mailbox, please.

BTW, when, where, etc., do you want me to send those pictures? I've since picked up a few new Milano's and a bunch of good Ricci.

 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics