|
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
register |
bbs |
search |
rss |
faq |
about
|
 |
 |
meet up |
add to del.icio.us |
digg it
|
 |
 |
| Technophiliacs & Technophiles The Technophiliacs forum is for discussing any and all forms of tech and other types of social backwardness. Including discussions of strange home-brewed hardware technology. Where to get good tools. How to make fiberglass molds. Computer hardware and software technolgy, including operating systems, applications, networking, hardware, CPU's, disk drives, and other geeky things. Viruses and Artificial Life discussions. How to write HTML. End user tools discussions and support issues. Gating the Internet with other nets. |
 |
|
|
#1
 2002-10-10, 04:56
|
|
Regular
|
|
somewhere up there
|
|
How do I remove drivers in Win 98 if I can't boot?
Damn I can't fully startup my old comp with win98, it says something about a registry/configuration error then tells me to select command prompt out of safe mode, normal mode etc and run scanreg. I select command prompt and then the thing says there is not enough memory and to get rid of some drivers in config.sys or something like that before trying again. That is what I have no idea about. Can anyone help me??
[This message has been edited by just.landed (edited 10-10-2002).]
|
|
#2
 2002-10-10, 17:29
|
j0662 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: How do I remove drivers in Win 98 if I can't boot?
Boot up a win/dos boot disk, comment out some stuff in c:\config.sys
|
|
#3
 2002-10-10, 19:43
|
Z3m 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: How do I remove drivers in Win 98 if I can't boot?
Use fdisk...
Then get something not shitty.
|
|
#4
 2002-10-10, 21:08
|
|
Moderator
|
|
Facedown in the shag rug.
|
|
Re: How do I remove drivers in Win 98 if I can't boot?
You should have an option for a safe mode command prompt, which bypasses your startup files. Use that.
|
|
#5
 2002-10-11, 03:38
|
|
Regular
|
|
somewhere up there
|
|
Re: How do I remove drivers in Win 98 if I can't boot?
To solve my problem i need to run regscan, but under safe mode command prompt the bloody thing has not enough memory to do regscan. I've deleted all the entries in the config.sys file but the fucking thing still says to "get rid of some drivers and try again" Thanks for your efforts anyways.
|
|
#6
 2002-10-11, 10:26
|
Gnool 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: How do I remove drivers in Win 98 if I can't boot?
boot up into safe mode (windows safe mode) (sorry if you know all this but I'd rather explain it in one message than find out later that you don't know how to do it and have to post another message  ) by holding down Ctrl before windows boots and then choosing "Safe mode". It will boot up into windows without loading any drivers or any programs that run in the background. From here go to the control panel, then double click on 'system' and you can remove devices here (which will stop the drivers from loading as well) Also something I like doing when computers stop working  is clicking on Start, then run, then run "msconfig" and go to tab on the far right (i think it's labeled "startup") and you can get rid of some programs that would normally run when you boot windows. I hope this helps
|
|
#7
 2002-10-11, 19:23
|
|
Regular
|
|
somewhere up there
|
|
Re: How do I remove drivers in Win 98 if I can't boot?
I cant even get into safe mode. I choose safe mode and the thing just gets to the splash loading screen and does nothing from there on.
|
|
#8
 2002-10-11, 20:04
|
|
Forum Administrator
|
|
Columbus Ohio
|
|
Re: How do I remove drivers in Win 98 if I can't boot?
quote: Originally posted by ThetaReactor: You should have an option for a safe mode command prompt, which bypasses your startup files. Use that.
Wasnt that only in 2k? Or was it just not included in the first release of 98? Never the less, do what jo said, I have tried it, it works. Either that or you could fdisk, save your files, and reinstall... but thats too much work.
|
|
#9
 2002-10-13, 01:38
|
|
Regular
|
|
somewhere up there
|
|
Re: How do I remove drivers in Win 98 if I can't boot?
Good news, I managed to fix the comp. Apparently all i had to do was use a Win ME emergency disk instead of the win98 emergency disk and run scanreg from its command prompt. I guess this worked because win ME and Win9x are very similar. Thanks to you guys for your ideas anyways.
|
|
#10
 2002-10-13, 21:37
|
SomeEverydayNobody 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: How do I remove drivers in Win 98 if I can't boot?
Unless theres soemthing perticularly important on that old comp why even go through all this shit? FORMAT!
|
|
 |
 |
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.

totse.com certificate signatures
|
 |
 |
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
|
|