About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Technology > Technophiliacs & Technophiles
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technophiliacs & Technophiles The Technophiliacs forum is for discussing any and all forms of tech and other types of social backwardness. Including discussions of strange home-brewed hardware technology. Where to get good tools. How to make fiberglass molds. Computer hardware and software technolgy, including operating systems, applications, networking, hardware, CPU's, disk drives, and other geeky things. Viruses and Artificial Life discussions. How to write HTML. End user tools discussions and support issues. Gating the Internet with other nets.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-10-05, 12:43
GV GV is offline
Regular
 
Default INIT: id "x" respawing too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

INIT: id "x" respawing too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

This is what I get when booting linux redhat 7.3. I just installed it. I am running it on an amd 1gig box. I goggled it with quite a few resultes. Non of them made sence with my limeted knowledge of linux. This messege was displayed just before the X login. I can login as text but this is all. Any suggestions?

Every five minutes it tries to "logon" to the "x windows" interface with the same output.

I type startx and get the following:

Fatal error:
no screens found

XIO: fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server "0.0" after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

Any Ideas?

Thankyou in advance,

~GV

 #2 
Old 2002-10-05, 15:46
Jadedfool Jadedfool is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: INIT: id "x" respawing too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

sounds like you haven't configured X yet...

you also might want to try running it via init and see how that works...
 #3 
Old 2002-10-05, 20:22
cense cense is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: INIT: id "x" respawing too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

Yep, Jadedfool is correct in his diagnostic of your situtation. You have not yet configured X or your configuration is completely broken. You must reconfigure X.

Here are some articles regarding X configuration. I believe RH 7.3 is bundled with XFree86 4.2.x but im not sure. Anyhoo, here are the links:

a good starting place <- http://www.xfree86.org/support.html
http://www.xfree86.org/~anderson/ConfiguringX/siframes.htm
http://www.khk.net/505/xfree86.html

Also, try the command "Xconfigurator" without the brackets, while respecting the case (capital X, lowercase configurator).
 #4 
Old 2002-10-05, 21:08
GV GV is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: INIT: id "x" respawing too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

Great site jadedfool!

I think its my moitor that is screwed up. I went through the setup of Xconfigurator, now my monitor just blinks incesintly.

Just a spare I had lying around. Im going to replace it and see what happens.

thanks again.

~GV
 #5 
Old 2002-10-06, 00:52
SomeEverydayNobody SomeEverydayNobody is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: INIT: id "x" respawing too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

I had the EXACT same problem with Mandrake 8.1. After doing tonnes of research I found out how to fix it. After it stops blinking like a fucker, try one of these three commands: [I only give three cuz its written down messy and i csant see where one starts and the other finishes!] oh, and log in as root...

depmod -a
modprobe -a
depmod

I dont know what they do [I think its depmod -a] but after restarting the problem was fixed!
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics