About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Technology > Technophiliacs & Technophiles
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technophiliacs & Technophiles The Technophiliacs forum is for discussing any and all forms of tech and other types of social backwardness. Including discussions of strange home-brewed hardware technology. Where to get good tools. How to make fiberglass molds. Computer hardware and software technolgy, including operating systems, applications, networking, hardware, CPU's, disk drives, and other geeky things. Viruses and Artificial Life discussions. How to write HTML. End user tools discussions and support issues. Gating the Internet with other nets.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-10-04, 22:25
SomeEverydayNobody SomeEverydayNobody is offline
Regular
 
Default Download Picks....

I was just wondering, what suggestions people had towards what to download. Pretty much looking at any type of program, excluding games.

I myself would have to suggest these:

Sygate Personal Firewall: Great firewall. I've always used this one, and am happy with it.

mIRC: Obviously, everyone needs an IRC client, and this one is a very stable, very good one.

MultiProxy: A good proxy app.

Serials 2K: I'm sure everyone already knows what this is!

WinRAR: Never really used winzip as much as winRAR. Now I dont even have winzip on my computer!

Those are a few of my suggestions. With me I like programs that do soemthing useful, and are small in size, as I'm running on 56k!

List yours, as I'de like to get some more apps on my newly updated pc! [running win2K now!]
 #2 
Old 2002-10-04, 22:38
macdonalder macdonalder is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Download Picks....

winamp3 and trillian are both staples on my computer... I don't know what I'd do without them....

winamp obviously plays mp3's and other forms of digital music... http://www.winamp.com

trillian, for those who don't know is a personal messaging program that handles MSN, AIM, Y!, ICQ and IRC all in one program with nice skins and such... really sweet program... http://www.trillian.cc

edit: typo...

[This message has been edited by macdonalder (edited 10-04-2002).]
 #3 
Old 2002-10-04, 23:50
confuzious confuzious is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Download Picks....

Winrar, Kazaa lite, Opera, Adobe Photoshop (pirated of course), DriveCrypt. I don't know what i'd do without these. Adobe photoshop is really the only reason I use windows, I can't live without it.
 #4 
Old 2002-10-05, 00:07
Forum Administrator
 
Columbus Ohio
Default Re: Download Picks....

Looking at the list above I suggest Adaware
 #5 
Old 2002-10-05, 00:17
Regular
 
somewhere up there
Default Re: Download Picks....

As a fellow 56k user I would suggest some variant of download accelerator like flash get or whatever. Comes in handy when i get disconnected or what-not.
 #6 
Old 2002-10-05, 08:52
Moderator
 
Facedown in the shag rug.
Default Re: Download Picks....

WinRar? I think not. I have yet to find an archive which WinAce won't open, and do it with style.

I cannot live without Winamp.

Or Opera.

Or DivX.

After every format, those are the first four programs I download.
 #7 
Old 2002-10-05, 10:18
Regular
 
the happy land of australia
Default Re: Download Picks....

my staples are winamp, opera, trillian, winmx, bulletproof FTP and photoshop. 90% of the time at least one of them is running on my computer.
 #8 
Old 2002-10-05, 14:01
SomeEverydayNobody SomeEverydayNobody is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Download Picks....

Damn, Im a real waste of skin! I've got photoshop, but never use it. I hear you about winamp, gotta have it. Any suggestions on what version of opera to get? I hear its fast, but dont you have to pay to get rid of ads in a few of the versions?
 #9 
Old 2002-10-05, 15:48
Jadedfool Jadedfool is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Download Picks....

S.A.R.A.
 #10 
Old 2002-10-05, 22:05
segue segue is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Download Picks....

gotta have ghost software, so you can dl everything you want make a ghost and fuck it, if you comp starts acting up in 15min you can have your os back to what it was when you first installed it
 #11 
Old 2002-10-06, 06:10
skalez skalez is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Download Picks....

one REALLY gnarly prog that i have is virtualdrive... www.farstone.com (cdkey is really easy to find ). It rocks yadads socks. You create images of cds (which are copiously large, unfortunately, but who cares, it can handle ALL skytzo game protection schemes) and stick em in fake cd-rom drives. Pretty much everythnig else is on the list.
 #12 
Old 2002-10-06, 10:19
Regular
 
the happy land of australia
Default Re: Download Picks....

opera hasn't been free for as long as ivebeen using it, (cracks for it everywhere) but ive found its just got better as its updated. it can get very fast, and cause im sitting on some demonic dial-up ive got pictures turned off and it brang right back to basics. also find it good with 10 windows open, IE tends to stress the comp heaps when im constantly switching.

is winamp3 still a piece of shit or have they fixed it yet? i have not heard anything good about it at all from anyone.
 #13 
Old 2002-10-06, 13:56
macdonalder macdonalder is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Download Picks....

winamp 3 has all the bells and whistles from the previous version and more... but cool ass looking skins... I've enver had it crash on my computer yet... I personally prefer it to sonique and the previous version of winamp... if the new version of sonique ever makes it to completeion, I"m sure that'll be pretty sweet too... cause currently the beta it's kind of spotty...
 #14 
Old 2002-10-06, 16:27
junglist junglist is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Download Picks....

since nullsoft is owned by AOL now... winamp3 has some AOL bullshit in it. fuck that. but i will always use earlier versions since they are the only player with a codec for .shn files.

most of the good shit has been said, as far as recommendations. definitely need adaware with some of that shit mentioned. since youre on a 56k a download manager is always a good thing to have.

i use smartFTP quite often. and furthurnet, but many people may not have a use for it. i suppose that Trillian could be useful if you use those messenger programs, i dont, so i think its crap. everytime i tried to click a link in the IRC window it would start to load in IE and then crash both programs. that doesnt happen with mIRC. mIRC is definitely needed. i use Lucent Vital Agent to monitor my connection in real time. but for some reason, i cant find it for download. its quite handy though, if you do all of the downloading that i do. PC Mark from www.madonion.com is a great benchmarking tool as well.
 #15 
Old 2002-10-06, 21:21
SomeEverydayNobody SomeEverydayNobody is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Download Picks....

nullsoft is owned by AOL now? Damn.... Ive onyl ever seen winamp 3 as I didnt donwload it, so I didnt notice any aol crap, but no wonder it was fucked. The stupid little progress bar thing kept jumping around, anyojne else ever see that happen on v.3?
 #16 
Old 2002-10-06, 22:34
macdonalder macdonalder is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Download Picks....

nope... I've never had a single problem with winamp3... I've never seen any AOL stuff or ads of any kind, and like I said, I've never had a problem with it...
 #17 
Old 2002-10-07, 00:14
Null Null is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Download Picks....

mozilla is my fav. web browser, it has good script blocking features and the tabbed browsing is a plus. oh yeh, and its free.... mozilla.org
 #18 
Old 2002-10-07, 11:03
skalez skalez is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Download Picks....

what? AOL owns nullsoft? how poobah. i'm never attempting winamp 3 now
 #19 
Old 2002-10-07, 13:33
cense cense is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Download Picks....

nmap
kismet
galeon

 #20 
Old 2002-10-12, 03:57
junglist junglist is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Download Picks....

www.lucent.sk/vitalagent.php


thats a great tool to monitor your connection and download rate in real time.
 #21 
Old 2002-10-14, 22:49
Dr Spock Dr Spock is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Download Picks....

-Opera
-Trillian
-DivX
-The Gimp (just as good as Photoshop, but free
under the gnu GPL)
-BNR2 (Binary News Reaper, perfect for snagging those big yEnc encoded Usenet files)
-Wget (FTP)
-Avast32 (free personal virus scan)
 #22 
Old 2002-10-16, 08:33
Super Moderator
 
Sebastopol CA
Default Re: Download Picks....

So am I the only one, then, who prefers Sonique?

I wasn't impressed with Winamp. Though I admit: I last tried it almost 2 years ago.

You know us old folks are about change though
 #23 
Old 2002-10-16, 22:46
Moderator
 
Default Re: Download Picks....

no, I like Sonique too, but it has nothing like SidAmp.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics