About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Technology > Technophiliacs & Technophiles
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technophiliacs & Technophiles The Technophiliacs forum is for discussing any and all forms of tech and other types of social backwardness. Including discussions of strange home-brewed hardware technology. Where to get good tools. How to make fiberglass molds. Computer hardware and software technolgy, including operating systems, applications, networking, hardware, CPU's, disk drives, and other geeky things. Viruses and Artificial Life discussions. How to write HTML. End user tools discussions and support issues. Gating the Internet with other nets.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-10-03, 21:32
Regular
 
Default Need help loading new O/S

I have a dual disk (each is also partitioned) machine that runs NT in the root drive. I've since loaded XP on another drive (not the root), and now have no need for NT.

The machine is a couple years old, and has lots of shit on it, so I wanted to reformat the root drive, then reload XP on the root, then get all the drivers and ap data files and stuff from the other drive. I vaguely remember that the root drive can't be disturbed by an O/S running on another drive, so I haven't touched it as of yet.

Any suggestions on how to pull this off, would be greatly appreciated.
 #2 
Old 2002-10-03, 22:30
runaway runaway is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Need help loading new O/S

backup the drivers and ap data files and all that stuff. Then format the NT disk, install XP, and then pop in the cd/tape and install the drivers and stuff.
Im sure there's and easier way...but I bet that'll work.
 #3 
Old 2002-10-12, 02:01
ChibiMiko ChibiMiko is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Need help loading new O/S

Your post was sorta confusing, but how id go about it is switch my BIOS to load from my 2nd drive and format the main one from that, then go ahead with your loading XP on the root drive...

If your OS has a prob with that for some reason GET A BOOT DISK! there are many wonderful flavors at www.bootdisk.com I like the 98SE.

-Chibi
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics