It's supply and demand my good friend... last poster was right, CD's cost less to make but cause they're in demand, they're more expensive to buy relative to their cost. Tapes are just cheap cause companies have the infrastructure to make thousands of taps and hour and stuff and no one wants to buy any any more, so they cost less cause the demand isn't as high and that's not where companies make their money anymore...
At least that's how I see it...
But about the whole making CD's more expensive thing I think that's ludacris(not your question but the idea of making them more expensive

). I've posted about this subject before on another forum somewhere and my idea still stands. Artists themselves make jack off their albums. That's the publisher's and the label's money. Artists see such an insignificant amount that it's not even funny. So where do they make their mun? Concerts... live shows... and this is as it should be. No matter how hard you try, you can't rip, burn, decode or encode the feeling you get when you see your favourite band live. If anything, album sales might drop as a result of music "piracy" but in reality, that only means more people in more places are getting a hold of the music they like and more artists are getting more exposure. I bet you any money that the RIAA would whine all the way to the american supreme court about there being a drop in album sales, but would neglect to mention attendance at concerts rising, even at concerts featuring lesser known artists simply cause the internet is giving these bands more exposure...
I realize I'm starting to ramble, so I'll cut this one off, but this whole RIAA thing really pisses me off... talk about trying to make a buck of the back of someone else(namely the artist, then comes the fans)...
[This message has been edited by macdonalder (edited 09-30-2002).]