About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Technology > Technophiliacs & Technophiles
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technophiliacs & Technophiles The Technophiliacs forum is for discussing any and all forms of tech and other types of social backwardness. Including discussions of strange home-brewed hardware technology. Where to get good tools. How to make fiberglass molds. Computer hardware and software technolgy, including operating systems, applications, networking, hardware, CPU's, disk drives, and other geeky things. Viruses and Artificial Life discussions. How to write HTML. End user tools discussions and support issues. Gating the Internet with other nets.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-09-28, 16:11
Ironz Ironz is offline
Regular
 
Default Stereo System Question

I am planning on buying a reciever, cd player, and equalizer. I want to be able to hook them up to my computer to play music off of my computer as well.

What are some good quality brands to look into? Please include price ranges.

Also, what other equipment would be needed to attach these devices to my computer?
 #2 
Old 2002-09-28, 17:10
syphon detonator syphon detonator is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Stereo System Question

game theater xp $130
 #3 
Old 2002-09-28, 17:43
Moderator
 
Facedown in the shag rug.
Default Re: Stereo System Question

For about a grand you can get a superbly decent Onkyo HTIB system with 5.1 speakers and a good reciever. DVD/CD player is extra.
 #4 
Old 2002-09-28, 17:53
Ironz Ironz is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Stereo System Question

Ok, hmm...lemme try this again. The most I'm willing to spend is $500. And I want something that doesn't have XP labeled on it...it makes me shudder. My primary need is something that plays music, it doesn't necessarily have to be hooked up to my computer, allthough it would be preferred.

I currently have a compact stereo system, an Aiwa, and I hate it.
 #5 
Old 2002-09-28, 19:09
Moderator
 
Facedown in the shag rug.
Default Re: Stereo System Question

For cheap but good 5.1 speakers, you have two choices:

Klipsch Promedias. Nice, clean sound.

Logitech Z-680s. Tons of power, earth-shattering bass. (Not out yet, but scheduled for October, I think.)
 #6 
Old 2002-09-28, 19:31
syphon detonator syphon detonator is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Stereo System Question

your in dream land. you need to spend at least a grand to get a decent system.

sony reciever 150
200 cd changer 200
mini disc deck 150
game theater xp 150
sony tower speakers 150
sony bookself / satalites 50
sony subwoofer (open box) 40

there are a lot of other miscelaneous things that add at least 100-200 on my sytem but just to give you an idea of what things cost thats what i have right now. some components may be more or less now since i set this up a few years ago. and the game theater xp came out years before windows xp so dont put it down, EVER! keep in mind that this isnt even a surround sound system, its purely stereo. also allot money for AV cables and speaker wire.
 #7 
Old 2002-09-28, 20:52
Ironz Ironz is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Stereo System Question

Thank you very much Syphon, that is probably the most useful! Thank you everyone else as well!
 #8 
Old 2002-09-29, 01:06
noqaurter noqaurter is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Stereo System Question

I have an enourmous collection of CDs and the only way I have found to organize them is to copy them to my laptop (which I also use to download the music to my Nomad Jukebox).

I have very expensive A/V equipment: Denon surround sound receiver, Bose speakers, along with CD Changer, VCR, DVD, Tivo, plasma TV, etc. components(the number of wires is freightening). I also have Windows XP and was wondering what Game XP is.

Is there a way I can connect my laptop to my stereo equipment to play the CDs I've copied to it? Or, even better, does anyone make another compenent that can be integrated with the existing compenents that digitally stores and plays CDs.

Any sites anyone could steer me towards would also be greatly appreciated. I'm completely lost...
 #9 
Old 2002-09-29, 02:27
syphon detonator syphon detonator is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Stereo System Question

http://www.soundblaster.com/products/extigy/
http://www.techspot.com/reviews/hardware/gametheaterxp/

these were the first links that came up when i typed extigy and game theater xp into google, they are not obscure products, dont be lazy. i somehow doubt you have all that bullshit if you dont how to integrate a pc with your home theater. plasma tv my ass...
 #10 
Old 2002-09-30, 02:49
noqaurter noqaurter is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Stereo System Question

All of the equipment was purchased by my computer illiterate husband and installed by an equally computer illiterate media contractor. As for the plasma, it is a 42" flat screen NEC - which I frequently connect to my computer to use with CAD software.

Now, if anyone less vituperative can actually help me with the endeavor of connecting a computer to high-end audio equipment it would be greatly appreciated.

With kindest regards, TS
 #11 
Old 2002-09-30, 04:18
Moderator
 
Facedown in the shag rug.
Default Re: Stereo System Question

I'd like to help, but I'm too overcome with envy over your screen that costs as much as a mid-size sedan. I despise ignorant people with technology that makes my digerati heart beat fast. Especially when they use "vituperative" in a sentence. This is Totse, we call it "flaming."

Oppressive capitalist bastard...

Let us know whacha get, Ironz.
 #12 
Old 2002-09-30, 15:06
Ironz Ironz is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Stereo System Question

I talked to my parents, and my grandparents, and my aunts and uncles. I convinced them all to chip in and get me a BOSE set for Xmas...I don't know what specifics they are getting me, but you can bet a I'll be flaunting the specs when Xmas rolls around.
 #13 
Old 2002-09-30, 19:38
syphon detonator syphon detonator is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Stereo System Question

quote:
Originally posted by noqaurter:
All of the equipment was purchased by my computer illiterate husband and installed by an equally computer illiterate media contractor. As for the plasma, it is a 42" flat screen NEC - which I frequently connect to my computer to use with CAD software.

Now, if anyone less vituperative can actually help me with the endeavor of connecting a computer to high-end audio equipment it would be greatly appreciated.

With kindest regards, TS



hey fuck you, its just lazyness. did you ev en read my above post in which i namded several time the game theater xp. and i sure you didnt read the post i made to you in another section as well, which is also know as double posting. i should have them both erased just for being a cunt and double posting then flaming the people who help you.

 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics