About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Technology > Technophiliacs & Technophiles
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technophiliacs & Technophiles The Technophiliacs forum is for discussing any and all forms of tech and other types of social backwardness. Including discussions of strange home-brewed hardware technology. Where to get good tools. How to make fiberglass molds. Computer hardware and software technolgy, including operating systems, applications, networking, hardware, CPU's, disk drives, and other geeky things. Viruses and Artificial Life discussions. How to write HTML. End user tools discussions and support issues. Gating the Internet with other nets.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-09-04, 19:11
ThunderChunky ThunderChunky is offline
Regular
 
Default OS Partition

Im about to put together a new pc and some people I know said that they have their operating system all on its own partition (So they can reinstall without losing anything).

Does anyone else do this and is there any performance or other disadvantages? Seems likes its a good idea...I have a 120gb Western Digital (8mb cache) so if someone has any other partition tips I would be glad to hear them.

[This message has been edited by ThunderChunky (edited 09-04-2002).]
 #2 
Old 2002-09-04, 19:24
Forum Administrator
 
Columbus Ohio
Default Re: OS Partition

I actualy have two drives, one for software and my OS the other for mp3s, music vids and other random files. I would recommend partitioning or using two drives, saves you alot of trouble when you run into a crash or when you format.
 #3 
Old 2002-09-06, 09:56
skalez skalez is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: OS Partition

i have three drives, labeled "winduz", "programs", and "my stuff".

winduz was 1gb, but some crappy installer used the temp dir for about 500mb of guff, so i made it 2gb. my stuff is 3gb (i think, might be 4) and progs is the rest... i have a 20gb hard drive.

the reason i have three, not two, is cuz if my progs are screwed too, yada yada yada, you know.
 #4 
Old 2002-09-06, 17:20
ThunderChunky ThunderChunky is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: OS Partition

Thanks to both of you.
 #5 
Old 2002-09-07, 04:15
SomeEverydayNobody SomeEverydayNobody is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: OS Partition

Though I dont dispute this idea, as its obviously a smart one, I do have a suggestion for anyoen who already has a lot of stuff on their PC, like me, and doesnt wanna do all that right now, like me. Its very simple. What I have is 3 or 4 CDRW's [well, I have more, but for this!] the bulk of them is for large programs I have on my PC> Happily everything is well organized between Program Files, and my folder, so starting this system was easy. SO I backed up any large programs I had downloaded, or recieved from a friend. [basically anything large that I dont have the CD for] and with one cd, I put on all the small stuff, I also had no cd's for. This way, anytime I download soemthing that I know Im gonna wanna keep, I add either the installer/zip file to the cdrw, or I add the folder its in if I didnt think, and deleted the installer.

I usually dont back up the shit till the end of the week, and Im yet to put any of these cd's into play, but I know I will be getting win2k soon, and will be doing a full format, so Im happy I have done this.

Wow, I just took all that time to say back up your shit with a CDRW! Oh well, Im bored, so I can drown on if I like!
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics