About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Technology > Technophiliacs & Technophiles
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technophiliacs & Technophiles The Technophiliacs forum is for discussing any and all forms of tech and other types of social backwardness. Including discussions of strange home-brewed hardware technology. Where to get good tools. How to make fiberglass molds. Computer hardware and software technolgy, including operating systems, applications, networking, hardware, CPU's, disk drives, and other geeky things. Viruses and Artificial Life discussions. How to write HTML. End user tools discussions and support issues. Gating the Internet with other nets.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-08-30, 02:10
runaway runaway is offline
Regular
 
Default Cheaplinux.net

Has anyone ever bought from, or heard about cheaplinux.net? Im thinking about ordering a couple of distros from them, and was wondering if anyone had any opinions on it.
 #2 
Old 2002-08-30, 02:37
syphon detonator syphon detonator is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Cheaplinux.net

it looks as if they are illegally selling these disks. how could mandrake possible sell disks to them at less than 8 dollars and still provide the support you are supposed to when buying a linux disk. selling a distro is illegal. it seems that they are charging 8 dollars for the media. i wouldnt buy from them since they are the only ones making anythign from the deal. i bet mandrake or redhat doesnt see a cent from anything you buy form that site. your better off ordering straight from the manufacturer so then can make more profit and in turn stay in business making more software.
 #3 
Old 2002-08-30, 03:00
eth0 eth0 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Cheaplinux.net

thats shit, just use something like http://www.edmunds-enterprises.com/linux/index.php

They are linked to on gnome.org or kde.org i cant remember...
 #4 
Old 2002-09-01, 06:19
CDG CDG is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Cheaplinux.net

Note: These CDs are not a product of Red Hat, Inc. and are not endorsed by Red Hat, Inc. These are quality, replicated CDs that are a product of Cheaplinux and we have no relationship with Red Hat, Inc. "Red Hat" is a registered trademark of Red Hat, Inc.


Read it...
 #5 
Old 2002-09-01, 18:12
SomeEverydayNobody SomeEverydayNobody is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Cheaplinux.net

No doubt a burnt CD.....
 #6 
Old 2002-09-01, 22:38
Regular
 
Default Re: Cheaplinux.net

I don't think it's illegal. You can download most distros freely anyhow. I expect all this site is doing is saving you from having to download several ISOs and burn them to CD.
 #7 
Old 2002-09-03, 21:58
runaway runaway is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Cheaplinux.net

quote:
Originally posted by CDG:
Note: These CDs are not a product of Red Hat, Inc. and are not endorsed by Red Hat, Inc. These are quality, replicated CDs that are a product of Cheaplinux and we have no relationship with Red Hat, Inc. "Red Hat" is a registered trademark of Red Hat, Inc.


Read it...


Read it already...Thats why I was unsure and posted it here.
 #8 
Old 2002-09-04, 17:54
j0662 j0662 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Cheaplinux.net

It is perfectly legal for absolutly anyone to copy and redistrobute any version of linux (provided it is all under a free software licence), it is also legal for them to charge for copying and distrobution costs.

I think what syphon was trying to say is that this is bad because no money goes to the authors and/or creators of these original programs.

Once again though, it is totaly legal, and is a service for people who are unable to download entire ISOs.
 #9 
Old 2002-10-11, 02:09
mecusar mecusar is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Cheaplinux.net

I have bought a distro from cheaplinux.net. It was before I had a high-speed connection and couldnt download it myself. I paid, they sent. Seemed professional enough for me.
 #10 
Old 2002-10-11, 02:12
Cheaplinux Cheaplinux is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Cheaplinux.net

I feel it was quite ignorant to brand my service as illegal. Under GPL, there is nothing illegal at all about selling or distributing replicated copies of linux for a nominal fee.

When you purchase linux from RedHat or Mandrake, you are purchasing docmentation and support. I provide linux to those who do not feel they require either. The money you spend is used to provide you with these services.

If you wish to donate money based on support for oustanding work, I would suggest the Gnome Project, KDE, apache or even Linus Torvalds.

I find it outrageous that someone would post that cheaplinux.net is illegal in any way. Perhaps before making claims like this you should get all the facts.

I apologize for the intrusion into your community, but I wanted to clarify a few things.

Jacob
jacob@cheaplinux.net
 #11 
Old 2002-10-11, 03:39
Jadedfool Jadedfool is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Cheaplinux.net

Your service hasn't been branded as being illegal, someone voiced doubt as to the legality of your business, several other people rebuked his doubt. Calm down and read everything before you jump to the conclusion that you're being slandered.

I appreciate your position, and I understand why you need to keep the truth about the legality of your operation in the forefront, but you would benefit from calming down a bit.
 #12 
Old 2002-10-11, 10:40
Gnool Gnool is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Cheaplinux.net

quote:
Originally posted by syphon detonator:
it looks as if they are illegally selling these disks


That looks to me like like he was branding cheaplinux illegal. I wouldn't be too happy if (I had a business) and the legitimacy of my business was being questioned by someone who hadn't looked into it much.

EDIT: Perhaps I spoke too soon I can't seem to access cheaplinux.net :|

[This message has been edited by Gnool (edited 10-11-2002).]
 #13 
Old 2002-10-13, 15:11
Cheaplinux Cheaplinux is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Cheaplinux.net

quote:
Originally posted by Gnool:
[B]
EDIT: Perhaps I spoke too soon I can't seem to access cheaplinux.net :|[B]


I've been having major problems with our host. We're moving to a Colo at the end of the month to resolve these issues. 85% uptime is not exactly super .

Please try again if you were looking to visit us.

Jake
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics