About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Technology > Technophiliacs & Technophiles
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technophiliacs & Technophiles The Technophiliacs forum is for discussing any and all forms of tech and other types of social backwardness. Including discussions of strange home-brewed hardware technology. Where to get good tools. How to make fiberglass molds. Computer hardware and software technolgy, including operating systems, applications, networking, hardware, CPU's, disk drives, and other geeky things. Viruses and Artificial Life discussions. How to write HTML. End user tools discussions and support issues. Gating the Internet with other nets.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-08-27, 23:24
Ironz Ironz is offline
Regular
 
Default Stereo System vs Computer

What is needed to connect the audio on my computer to my stereo system speakers, or just the stereo system?

Am I phrasing this right? Let me try again, just to make sure.

How do I make my computer audio play on my stereo system?

Ironz
 #2 
Old 2002-08-27, 23:49
Moderator
 
Facedown in the shag rug.
Default Re: Stereo System vs Computer

What kind of stereo system? If it's just plain stereo, a minijack-to-RCA cable from the sound card output to the stereo's input should work. If you've got a surround reciever, then an Audigy-class card with a digital output would be the best choice.

So, what kinda audio system/sound card are you working with?
 #3 
Old 2002-08-28, 01:43
Forum Administrator
 
Columbus Ohio
Default Re: Stereo System vs Computer

Yes, that will work IF you have an Aux setting on the stereo. Also you have to take into consideration that your stereo is meant for music not gaming and pc sounds, take the sub woofer for instance: On a pc set the subwoofers are made to be felt not always heard. On a stereo they are meant to be heard as the bass of the music. I would recomend using a pc system unless you are tight on cash or space. I use a stereo just cause i dont have much space. But a pc system is made for a pc and will suit you much better.

So think about what you are doing before you buy a new system (if thats what you planned on doing).

[This message has been edited by Zok (edited 08-28-2002).]
 #4 
Old 2002-08-28, 04:45
xengoreth xengoreth is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Stereo System vs Computer

This is assuming you just want to play mp3s on you home stereo...

With at least a network adapter and crossover cable (preferably a home network) you can use this to play mp3s on your stereo system (assuming you have RCA inputs on your stereo):

http://www.slimdevices.com/

I'm considering buying one... the advantage is that your stereo can be located in a different part of your house than the PC hosting the mp3 collection.

If you are just attempting to play audio from your sound card through your stereo, I would recommend a Sound Blaster Live or Audigy Platinum edition, which gives you a lot more control over the ways in which you can manipulate sound output from your system. Figure out what you want to do and do some research! Hopefully this gives you some ideas.
 #5 
Old 2002-08-28, 19:38
Ironz Ironz is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Stereo System vs Computer

Thank you very much for all your advice and help! Now that I know where to start, it is time to do some research!

Ironz
 #6 
Old 2002-08-28, 22:36
syphon detonator syphon detonator is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Stereo System vs Computer

what zok said is only partly correct. if you are using a less than 500 dollar mini system then its aplicable but if your stereo is a higher end home theater quality system then it will beat the hell out the very best computer speakers. i use a full sony component system with a bandpass sub, two towers, and two satalites. it works well because a system like that can handle virtually any kind of audio. if your using a 300 dollar aiwa piece of shit then its a whole different story.
 #7 
Old 2002-08-28, 22:55
Forum Administrator
 
Columbus Ohio
Default Re: Stereo System vs Computer

Of course nobody wants to spend that much on speakers unless they are going for a home theatre or are into sound mixing. I am just covering the most economic situation.
 #8 
Old 2002-08-29, 03:04
syphon detonator syphon detonator is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Stereo System vs Computer

i just like music but my system cost about a grand.
 #9 
Old 2002-08-29, 03:15
Forum Administrator
 
Columbus Ohio
Default Re: Stereo System vs Computer

Shit man, what'd you have?
 #10 
Old 2002-08-29, 04:22
Ironz Ironz is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Stereo System vs Computer

quote:
Originally posted by Zok:
Shit man, what'd you have?


Like (whats-his-name) posted above, a $300 aiwa system. No, I'm not happy with it, but can't afford a new one.

Ironz
 #11 
Old 2002-09-29, 00:57
noqaurter noqaurter is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Stereo System vs Computer

I have an enourmous collection of CDs and the only way I have found to organize them is to copy them to my laptop (which I also use to download the music to my Nomad Jukebox).
I have very expensive A/V equipment: Denon surround sound receiver, Bose speakers, along with CD Changer, VCR, DVD, Tivo, plasma TV, etc. components(the number of wires is freightening).

Is there a way I can connect my laptop to my stereo equipment to play the CDs I've copied to it? Or, even better, does anyone make another compenent that can be integrated with the existing compenents that digitally stores and plays CDs.

Any sites anyone could steer me towards would also be greatly appreciated. I'm completely lost...
 #12 
Old 2002-09-29, 02:23
syphon detonator syphon detonator is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Stereo System vs Computer

i bet you would be happy with a sound blaster extigy sound card for your laptop.
 #13 
Old 2002-09-30, 02:55
noqaurter noqaurter is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Stereo System vs Computer

Perfect...you know your shit and I've already found a good deal on an extermal one I can leave w/my AV equipment!

Greatly appreciate it, TS

[This message has been edited by noqaurter (edited 09-30-2002).]

[This message has been edited by noqaurter (edited 09-30-2002).]
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics