About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Technology > Technophiliacs & Technophiles
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technophiliacs & Technophiles The Technophiliacs forum is for discussing any and all forms of tech and other types of social backwardness. Including discussions of strange home-brewed hardware technology. Where to get good tools. How to make fiberglass molds. Computer hardware and software technolgy, including operating systems, applications, networking, hardware, CPU's, disk drives, and other geeky things. Viruses and Artificial Life discussions. How to write HTML. End user tools discussions and support issues. Gating the Internet with other nets.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-08-14, 21:35
segue segue is offline
Regular
 
Default new mb!!

my old piece of shit 400mz celeron died, wouldent boot up with any video going to the moniter, i put the orginal video card in and it would boot with video but it would say the hd has an error, and would not enter the bios, i checked it with many different hd's none of them worked, it was looking for a 2.88mb disk drive which i dont have, big fucking mess, anyway its dead now and i have a duron 1.2gig with a 64mb video card, nice sound card, and lan card all built in, three more slots, and three memory slots, not that anyone cares but i'm excited
 #2 
Old 2002-08-14, 21:44
eth0 eth0 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: new mb!!

Welcome to the dark side that is AMD...
 #3 
Old 2002-08-20, 01:11
xengoreth xengoreth is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: new mb!!

quote:
Originally posted by eth0:
Welcome to the dark side that is AMD...


I wouldn't buy an AMD processor unless I couldn't afford anything else. You get what you pay for.
 #4 
Old 2002-08-20, 02:55
confuzious confuzious is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: new mb!!

Actually, I have no complaints about my athlon XP 1700. I've had it for quite a while now.
 #5 
Old 2002-08-20, 03:42
Forum Administrator
 
Columbus Ohio
Default Re: new mb!!

Anybody who says that AMD is lesser is full of shit. I would catigorize them differently, if you are going to be doing overclocking like mad use AMD, if you are not and are just using it as a workstation or if you are a fool (sorry, i am partial to AMD) then use intel. If you are going to run a server use AMD or find some RISC processor.
 #6 
Old 2002-08-20, 04:15
djsam djsam is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: new mb!!

quote:
I wouldn't buy an AMD processor unless I couldn't afford anything else. You get what you pay for.


...whats wrong with AMD?
 #7 
Old 2002-08-20, 07:13
Regular
 
Yami no tensai
Default Re: new mb!!

I'm sayin' the same thing.

I know Intel has M$'s cock in it's ass, wreckin' shop like colon cancer. They give M$ preferential treatment when it comes out with new chip specs and MS makes their OS's increasing large and resource demanding just to cause perpetual upgrades, meaning new procs. That's where Int'Hell cashes in.
 #8 
Old 2002-08-20, 12:13
XeNobiTe XeNobiTe is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: new mb!!

AMD kicks Intel pentiums ass. At least when it comes to gaming. An amd 1600+ XP gives the same gaming performace as a P4 2000.
 #9 
Old 2002-08-20, 13:21
Forum Administrator
 
Columbus Ohio
Default Re: new mb!!

AMD is nothing to complain about, If you aske me Intel is the AOL of processors. Always jumping around on their commercails saying how easy it is.
 #10 
Old 2002-08-21, 05:08
xengoreth xengoreth is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: new mb!!

Actually my latest system is an Athlon 1800+ XP-- however... as I said, I wouldn't buy and AMD processor unless I couldn't afford anything else. There's a number of reasons I say this:

1. Poor care in the engineering process:

http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/01q3/010917/index.html

2. Weird issues (of course this is is not the best example as it brings Microsoft into the picture):

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q270/7/15.ASP

3. Better processors exists. Of course Intel makes better processors-- they set the standards for the desktop industry... for now. But who cares about that when you can buy a RISC processor for that kind of expenditure.

I used to be sympathetic with AMD's situation as the underdog. But now, I just don't care-- I am going to buy the best thing money can offer.
 #11 
Old 2002-08-21, 06:03
Moderator
 
Facedown in the shag rug.
Default Re: new mb!!

AMD has fallen behind recently. When the XPs first came out, they competed quite competently with Intel chips. It seems like progress has nearly stopped, despite AMD's move to the new manufacturing process. Intel is pushing for 3GHz by year's end, while AMD just has the 2200+. Intel is certainly a good choice for those who can afford them, but AMD is typically a better value. Too bad the overclocking potential is so random...
 #12 
Old 2002-08-21, 06:34
Moderator
 
Default Re: new mb!!

it�s not the Mhz that makes a CPU. If so, the latest Mac at 500 Mhz wouldn�t be at a 6 to 7 Ghz Intel level.
 #13 
Old 2002-08-21, 14:42
cense cense is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: new mb!!

I fully agree with BSK. Clock rate is just some relative measurement to other processors of identical design. Take RISC chips for instance, super low clock rates can crunch numbers in a timeframe that a 2.4GHz P4 can't even dream of doing.

and as for AMD vs Intel. Fuck 'em both. Everyone says one or the other is better and it's all bullshit opinions that have been formed long ago. The only way that I can weight out which I would rather have is not by politics but by cost effectiveness, and cost effectiveness is all relative to the situation in which you are going to be using the chip.

I bought an AMD because i did not want to spend the extra cash on Intel. MY 1.4Ghz works just fine but as I said above, fuck 'em both. AMD isnt my champion because they are fighting evil Intel, and Intel is not the demon lord because they are overpricing their products. They are both massive corporations that just want to rape us anyways.
 #14 
Old 2002-08-21, 15:28
Moderator
 
Facedown in the shag rug.
Default Re: new mb!!

Dammit. Just as I go and say something, AMD has to go and make a press release. They've now announced 2400 and 2600 processors, with the 2700 finally going to a 166MHz FSB. That puts 'em pretty much even with Intel for most performance issues, and way ahead in pricing. I can just see it now-- every hacker in the world is gonna want a "2600" cpu...
 #15 
Old 2002-08-21, 20:14
segue segue is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: new mb!!

lol, i bought a duron because my last computer was a celeron, i thought id see what the other side had to offer, and the price helped alot, the mb, prossesser, case, power supply, fan , and floppy all came to 140 with shipping...
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics