|
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
register |
bbs |
search |
rss |
faq |
about
|
 |
 |
meet up |
add to del.icio.us |
digg it
|
 |
 |
| Technophiliacs & Technophiles The Technophiliacs forum is for discussing any and all forms of tech and other types of social backwardness. Including discussions of strange home-brewed hardware technology. Where to get good tools. How to make fiberglass molds. Computer hardware and software technolgy, including operating systems, applications, networking, hardware, CPU's, disk drives, and other geeky things. Viruses and Artificial Life discussions. How to write HTML. End user tools discussions and support issues. Gating the Internet with other nets. |
 |
|
|
#1
 2002-06-29, 00:09
|
cense 
Regular
|
|
|
|
I love bash
This post is all about how I love bash  I just re-discovered the power of the command line today while just playing around. code:
cat /var/log/apache/access_log | grep ping.php | wc -l
That was an amazingly easy command to tell how many people accessed ping.php on my webserver. The possibilities are awesome. I also like customized prompts. Oh! the love of bash  I once setup bash scripts run from cron to record a friends radio show to mp3 automatically. His show was thursday from 2:00am to 6:00am so I would miss it very often. You guys just love all these totally pointless posts dont you? What do you guys think about bash and just command lines in general? I personally think they are very good for so many task that always frustrate me in a GUI. blah, blah, blah *shutup* -- cEnsE [This message has been edited by cense (edited 06-29-2002).]
|
|
#2
 2002-06-29, 00:58
|
confuzious 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: I love bash
I agree, bash kicks ass. The command line is indispensible in linux.
|
|
#3
 2002-06-29, 01:38
|
syphon detonator 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: I love bash
i like the command line in linux under gnome. i dont like to use straight up command with no window manager. dos is crap because its too limited to use today but bash is incredibly powerfull. it all depends on the shell. i dont like to deal with korn or the c shell. im just too acustomed to bash and lazy to learn something new
|
|
#4
 2002-07-07, 23:18
|
soullace 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: I love bash
Sorry to spoil your mood about bash, but its really the programs you are running that are doing most of the work. Let me break it down for you.
------------------------------- First you have
cat /var/log/apache/access_log
Which simply reads the contents of a file and writes the contents to the STDOUT.
BASH <<Then with the pipe bash dumps the STDOUT into the STDIN.>>
Which the next command grep uses
grep ping.php
grep in this form takes STDIN and reads from it, matching the lines that have ping.php on it, and writing those lines to STDOUT.
BASH <<Then with the pipe bash dumps the STDOUT into the STDIN.>>
Which the next command wc uses
wc -l
When invoked like this wc will read from STDIN, and count the newlines (enters). -----------------
So as you can see bash did very little. Also if DOS had cat, grep, and wc that could have been done on a DOS Shell (as ghastly as that sounds).
The power of bash comes from its built-in enviroment variables, language syntax, and of course tab completion (my favorite thing in the world). Im sure you can come up with other reasons, but i won't go over it. I might actually be a fan of C shell or korn shell if i actually used them, but oh well.
|
|
#5
 2002-07-08, 02:53
|
cense 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: I love bash
I see your point soullace. I was basically just talking about how i love that bash can tie everything in together, and yes i know the DOS prompt supports pipes.
I just love command lines in general, except for the dos one. Command completion is the BEST thing ive ever used in a command line. Anyways, i love bash for more than just pipes.
I like the if then for for in, etc loop syntax and structure, everything just seems to make cense about bash (again the cheesy pun).
soullace, you are too technical for you own good, cant you just let me love bash!?!
|
|
#6
 2002-07-08, 11:21
|
eth0 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: I love bash
And a transparent console is a must for any linux hackx0r, if you are usin x of course...
|
|
#7
 2002-07-08, 23:31
|
soullace 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: I love bash
Sorry to bash on bash. (yes, bad pun intended.)
Command line utilities and the shell are vital to the life of a *nux system. They also make programing and scripting much easier.
|
|
#8
 2002-07-09, 20:41
|
syphon detonator 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: I love bash
quote: Originally posted by eth0: And a transparent console is a must for any linux hackx0r, if you are usin x of course...
werd to gnome
|
|
 |
 |
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.

totse.com certificate signatures
|
 |
 |
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
|
|