About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Technology > Technophiliacs & Technophiles
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technophiliacs & Technophiles The Technophiliacs forum is for discussing any and all forms of tech and other types of social backwardness. Including discussions of strange home-brewed hardware technology. Where to get good tools. How to make fiberglass molds. Computer hardware and software technolgy, including operating systems, applications, networking, hardware, CPU's, disk drives, and other geeky things. Viruses and Artificial Life discussions. How to write HTML. End user tools discussions and support issues. Gating the Internet with other nets.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-06-02, 19:22
Regular
 
Downey California
Default spy software via suspicious emails

On the 29th I received an email from a certain 'pbamoderator@pba.com' and the subject was titled 'Look,my beautiful girl friend'

When I clicked on the message I was prompted to save or open the file. I opened it and when my browser opened it showed a Windows 98 icon. That was all. I even saved the message to my site. It doesn't tell you much but the fact that it's an .eml file.

pba.com is a golf site and I received this message from an email address I only make known to THIS site. Am I being spied on, and what should I do?
 #2 
Old 2002-06-02, 19:50
Forum Administrator
 
Columbus Ohio
Default Re: spy software via suspicious emails

when i went to the site that you listed i clicked the letter and norton antivirus 2002 pops up and tells me this... appearently you have a copy of the klez virus.

[This message has been edited by Zok (edited 06-02-2002).]
 #3 
Old 2002-06-02, 20:15
Wintermute Wintermute is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: spy software via suspicious emails

Yeah, Klez is my guess too, without even looking.. I get about 20 of those a week at the moment.. and the thing is the email it appears to be from almost always isn't the one it was sent from..
 #4 
Old 2002-06-02, 20:17
cense cense is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: spy software via suspicious emails

well, technically, you dont need an email address to send email. You just need access to an smtp server.

Wintermute is right. That email is probably forged.
 #5 
Old 2002-06-02, 21:56
MaTrIXSpiirit MaTrIXSpiirit is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: spy software via suspicious emails

Yeah I got the exact same thing. It defenetly is klez.
 #6 
Old 2002-06-02, 23:44
Wintermute Wintermute is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: spy software via suspicious emails

Klez's designers were taking advantage of the servers that are set up to autocatch and detect viruses, which usually helpfully email the person they received the virus from to tell them they have one.. with klez though, the address it appears from usually *isn't* the infected one, more likely just one pulled from an address book or webpage somewhere.. so the helpful servers end up exacerbating the problem..

I even got a klez the other day supposedly from the other email account on this machine.. but when I scanned just to check, I didn't have the virus.. (neither of us are dumb enough to click on an unknown attatchment...)
 #7 
Old 2002-06-03, 06:11
Moderator
 
Default Re: spy software via suspicious emails

quote:
Originally posted by Lokil:
it showed a Windows 98 icon. That was all.
...
what should I do?



never save a file you don't know. If it's a pic, it should be a pic in your menu, right?!
And you should disable MIME!

 #8 
Old 2002-06-04, 01:31
Dr Spock Dr Spock is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: spy software via suspicious emails

Where exactly is the panel to diable mime? I used to know...its around here somewhere....
 #9 
Old 2002-06-04, 04:29
Moderator
 
Default Re: spy software via suspicious emails

copy this:
code:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\Content Type\audio/mpeg]
"CLSID.BAK"="{22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95}"
"CLSID"="Deactivated"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\Content Type\audio/basic]
"CLSID.BAK"="{22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95}"
"CLSID"="Deactivated"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\Content Type\audio/mid]
"CLSID.BAK"="{22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95}"
"CLSID"="Deactivated"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\Content Type\audio/midi]
"CLSID.BAK"="{22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95}"
"CLSID"="Deactivated"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\Content Type\audio/x-midi]
"CLSID.BAK"="{22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95}"
"CLSID"="Deactivated"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\Content Type\audio/x-aiff]
"CLSID.BAK"="{22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95}"
"CLSID"="Deactivated"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\Content Type\audio/aiff]
"CLSID.BAK"="{22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95}"
"CLSID"="Deactivated"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\Content Type\audio/wav]
"CLSID.BAK"="{22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95}"
"CLSID"="Deactivated"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\Content Type\video/avi]
"CLSID.BAK"="{05589fa1-c356-11ce-bf01-00aa0055595a}"
"CLSID"="Deactivated"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\Content Type\video/x-ivf]
"CLSID.BAK"="{05589FA1-C356-11CE-BF01-00AA0055595A}"
"CLSID"="Deactivated"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\Content Type\video/mpeg]
"CLSID.BAK"="{22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95}"
"CLSID"="Deactivated"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\Content Type\video/quicktime]
"CLSID.BAK"="{22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95}"
"CLSID"="Deactivated"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\Content Type\video/msvideo]
"CLSID.BAK"="{22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95}"
"CLSID"="Deactivated"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\Content Type\video/x-la-asf]
"CLSID.BAK"="{22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95}"
"CLSID"="Deactivated"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\Content Type\video/x-ms-asf]
"CLSID.BAK"="{22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95}"
"CLSID"="Deactivated"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\Content Type\video/x-ms-asf-plugin]
"CLSID.BAK"="{22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95}"
"CLSID"="Deactivated"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\Content Type\video/x-mpeg]
"CLSID.BAK"="{22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95}"
"CLSID"="Deactivated"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\Content Type\video/x-mpeg2a]
"CLSID.BAK"="{22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95}"
"CLSID"="Deactivated"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\Content Type\video/x-msvideo]
"CLSID.BAK"="{22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95}"
"CLSID"="Deactivated"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\Content Type\audio/x-pn-realaudio-plugin]
"CLSID.BAK"="{CFCDAA03-8BE4-11CF-B84B-0020AFBBCCFA}"
"CLSID"="Deactivated"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\Content Type\audio/x-background]
"CLSID.BAK"="{3DA2AA3E-3D96-11D2-9BD2-204C4F4F5020}"
"CLSID"="Deactivated"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\Content Type\audio/x-wav]
"CLSID.BAK"="{05589fa1-c356-11ce-bf01-00aa0055595a}"
"CLSID"="Deactivated"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\Content Type\application/x-mplayer2]
"CLSID.BAK"="{22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95}"
"CLSID"="Deactivated"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\Content Type\application/x-mix-transfer]
"CLSID.BAK"="{10000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000001}"
"CLSID"="Deactivated"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\Content Type\application/pdf]
"CLSID.BAK"="{CA8A9780-280D-11CF-A24D-444553540000}"
"CLSID"="Deactivated"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\Content Type\message/rfc822]
"CLSID.BAK"="{3050F3D9-98B5-11CF-BB82-00AA00BDCE0B}"
"CLSID"="Deactivated"


into your editor, save it in a file called mime.reg and execute.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics