About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Technology > Technophiliacs & Technophiles
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technophiliacs & Technophiles The Technophiliacs forum is for discussing any and all forms of tech and other types of social backwardness. Including discussions of strange home-brewed hardware technology. Where to get good tools. How to make fiberglass molds. Computer hardware and software technolgy, including operating systems, applications, networking, hardware, CPU's, disk drives, and other geeky things. Viruses and Artificial Life discussions. How to write HTML. End user tools discussions and support issues. Gating the Internet with other nets.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-05-25, 21:45
RipSlider RipSlider is offline
Regular
 
Default Help me! Can't post to TOTSE

What the hell is going on with my computer?

Everything seems to be working normally. I can use the internet, Read TOTSE, post NEW messages to TOTSE, but can't reply to any of the threads. J.C. has said theres nothing wrong at the TOTSE end, so I'm completely lost.

System:
Using various different computers over a large LAN, running windows 95. All was ok until one day I suddenly couldn't post replies. I have been able to post a reply to a Spurious question, using a computer on the network that was logged in as another person, so something has obvioulsly happened to my user area. Can anyone help. Theres lots of interesting threads at the moment, and this is pissing me off.

Thanks for any help,
RipSlider.
 #2 
Old 2002-05-25, 22:53
Wintermute Wintermute is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Help me! Can't post to TOTSE

Heres the thing.

There's no possible way for you to be unable to reply with the symptoms you describe.

all your "user area", ie member file contains is the following info.

Your username
your password
your email
number of posts
date registered

and then it contains things like your preferences for whether admins can email you, and anything you put in your profile.

That's IT.

Now, all that information is still there, so the member file isn't corrupted (happens, but only if the server starts running out of disk space).

So what does that leave? The only thing unique to you is obviously fine, as far as what resides on the server is concerned.

I suppose it's vaguely possible that enigma added a routine somewhere that would prevent you and specifically you from replying, but since that's most likely not the case, the simple answer is that it's something YOU'RE doing, either intentionally, unintentionally, whatever.

First of all, sounds stupid, but are you hitting refresh after you post and you say you can't see your reply?.. I've had people complain about that before, not realising that they're simply seeing the cached page and not the new one. This would also explain why you see your new topics, since that's a totally new url, and thus can't be cached.

Honestly, that's the only answer I can think of.. I've spent a lot of time playing around with UBB's, digging around in the code, running them, having them glitch on me, and I honestly cannot think of any other reason you would not be able to see your own replies.. the only other vague possibility I can think of is that you have some problem with your browser not processing the client server relationship in the right way, but that's extremely far fetched.


 #3 
Old 2002-05-26, 17:57
RipSlider RipSlider is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Help me! Can't post to TOTSE

Thanks for the advice.

The Refresh/Reload idea didn't work, I tried that as soon as it started happening.

I needed a new computer anyway, as I was using a seven year old mac, ( 50 Mhz, 4 mg RAM, 75 meg hard disk. Was used for essays) so I went out and got a swanky new laptop yesterday. All is lovely. I'm dialing in through the Uni, but not using my old user area. All seems to be fine now, and I can read my posts.

Once again Ta for the help. It's a pity I couldn't find a simple solution.

RipSlider
 #4 
Old 2002-05-26, 18:16
Wintermute Wintermute is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Help me! Can't post to TOTSE

All I can say is that the problem has to be on your end, because there's no possible way for it to be on the server itself, sorry I couldn't help more.
 #5 
Old 2002-05-26, 19:37
Moderator
 
Default Re: Help me! Can't post to TOTSE

quote:
Originally posted by RipSlider:
4 mg RAM


it�s MB I suppose, but anyway, I don�t think that it can open a browser frame, a "reply-page" consists of.

 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics