About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Technology > Technophiliacs & Technophiles
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technophiliacs & Technophiles The Technophiliacs forum is for discussing any and all forms of tech and other types of social backwardness. Including discussions of strange home-brewed hardware technology. Where to get good tools. How to make fiberglass molds. Computer hardware and software technolgy, including operating systems, applications, networking, hardware, CPU's, disk drives, and other geeky things. Viruses and Artificial Life discussions. How to write HTML. End user tools discussions and support issues. Gating the Internet with other nets.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-05-07, 21:58
E.S.T: E.S.T: is offline
Regular
 
Default nanobots

http://www.spacedaily.com/news/nanotech-02a.html
http://www.hybridmedicalanimation.com/pages/nanobots.html


what are your thoughts ?
 #2 
Old 2002-05-08, 03:46
Dr Spock Dr Spock is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: nanobots

Medical applications are all well and good, but I really want a spacecraft that can be repaired by nanobots.
 #3 
Old 2002-05-08, 18:20
soullace soullace is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: nanobots

Ahhh I love that kind of stuff, nice page.

I think that once we master nanobots it will revolutionize construction. In fact it will revolutionize many fields of science and many industries. Many good things can come from this, and many bad things too.
 #4 
Old 2002-05-09, 03:02
Dr Spock Dr Spock is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: nanobots

To hell with the bad things, at this pont we're already on the brink of nuclear(H-bomb), medical(super strains), environmental(poisoned air/water), atmostpheric(ozone depletion), and interplanetary(asteroidal) anihallation, and no one cares.

Whats the problem with adding something else to the mix?

/me smiles sadly....
 #5 
Old 2002-05-09, 03:59
soullace soullace is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: nanobots

In theory the same nanobot used to inject medication, attack hostile bacteria, and build new cells can be used to inject viruses, attack body cells, and build super cells that our body can not combat.

Also a huge threat of nanobots assimulating the atoms around us could also be a problem depending on how we make replicators.

I personally welcome the technology, but ignorance to the problems will never help. I hope that some day i will be involved in the research because IMO the bonuses outway the minuses.
 #6 
Old 2002-05-09, 20:21
Jadedfool Jadedfool is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: nanobots

read This then have a discussion about nanotech...
 #7 
Old 2002-05-14, 22:53
E.S.T: E.S.T: is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: nanobots

that link covered a lot more than just nanotech, but i manage to see it through.

"Moravec's view is that the robots will eventually succeed us - that humans clearly face extinction."

"But I guess I wasn't totally surprised. I had seen a quote from Danny in Kurzweil's book in which he said, "I'm as fond of my body as anyone, but if I can be 200 with a body of silicon, I'll take it." It seemed that he was at peace with this process and its attendant risks, while I was not."

"
The dream of robotics is, first, that intelligent machines can do our work for us, allowing us lives of leisure, restoring us to Eden. Yet in his history of such ideas,Darwin Among the Machines, George Dyson warns: "In the game of life and evolution there are three players at the table: human beings, nature, and machines. I am firmly on the side of nature. But nature, I suspect, is on the side of the machines." As we have seen, Moravec agrees, believing we may well not survive the encounter with the superior robot species."

"A second dream of robotics is that we will gradually replace ourselves with our robotic technology, achieving near immortality by downloading our consciousnesses; it is this process that Danny Hillis thinks we will gradually get used to and that Ray Kurzweil elegantly details inThe Age of Spiritual Machines. (We are beginning to see intimations of this in the implantation of computer devices into the human body, as illustrated on thecover ofWired 8.02.)"

the only thing i could think of while reading the link was 'Ghost In The Shell'

I'll shut up now, since i have more to learn than anyone else.


 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics