About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Technology > Technophiliacs & Technophiles
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technophiliacs & Technophiles The Technophiliacs forum is for discussing any and all forms of tech and other types of social backwardness. Including discussions of strange home-brewed hardware technology. Where to get good tools. How to make fiberglass molds. Computer hardware and software technolgy, including operating systems, applications, networking, hardware, CPU's, disk drives, and other geeky things. Viruses and Artificial Life discussions. How to write HTML. End user tools discussions and support issues. Gating the Internet with other nets.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-04-22, 01:16
Viper2002 Viper2002 is offline
Regular
 
Default Kazaa - Spyware - Traceing

I have been tigtening all of the security up on my system recently. however I am a kazaa user and I am going to remove it. I am aware that Kazaa lite is now out but before I switch
I would like to clear up a small problem I have been having.

Ever since I installed Kazaa when using it I receave constant messages from my firewall that remote computers are trying to connect to me via every trogan port under the sun when rejected from one it goes to the next it seem to be an attack to gain access but the attacks are so predictable now I can only beleive that there is a system somewhere doing it automatically.

My firewall is norton 2002 which is very unlikely to be creating false alerts.

Im prety sure someones fuckin with my computer but im not sure who. I have tried all the useual tricks to find out what this machine is but I keep hitting dead ends. I have probed the remote computer for its vunrabilities but im quite new to hacking and there are no obvious exploits there.

My question is does anyone know the name of the system that that is used to access the spyware placed on your computer by kazaa and the ports it uses ?

Also does My firewall offer any protection from spyware, which would be better just called a legal trojan horse?
 #2 
Old 2002-04-22, 01:19
Viper2002 Viper2002 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Kazaa - Spyware - Traceing

By the way it isnt the kazaa client trying to connect to its server.
 #3 
Old 2002-04-22, 04:01
Forum Administrator
 
Columbus Ohio
Default Re: Kazaa - Spyware - Traceing

well kazaa is called a peer to peer application. that means that you share files that others have already shared with you. so i am guessing that kazaa is just trying to open up a sharing port, i do believe that the program requires multiple ports so it is probably just trying to share your files.

if you insist on being paranoid you may want to look into a program called Netmon, it tells you all the active ports and what they are connected to, it also gives you the capiblity to close any open ports. i suggest you look into the situation a little more.
 #4 
Old 2002-04-22, 04:32
junglist junglist is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Kazaa - Spyware - Traceing

http://news.com.com/2100-1023-873181.html

http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=30425&cid=3269104
 #5 
Old 2002-04-23, 20:39
Dr Spock Dr Spock is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Kazaa - Spyware - Traceing

Somewhat under the same idea, (I hate making new topics just for a single question)

Can someone find your location out by checking your IP and the server you're from? I'm on a cable modem, so could people at least find my ISP server location ? I'm well aware that IP's change often, but lets assume that that isnt so, for the sake of arguement.

BTW, I heard there was a program in win 98 and 95 (i think) called winipconfig (or close to that, which allowed you to set your own IP address. How is this run and is ther an equivalent on win NT/2000/XP?

many thanks.
 #6 
Old 2002-04-23, 22:44
syphon detonator syphon detonator is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Kazaa - Spyware - Traceing

winipcfg is just to configure your ip, subnet, etc. you must first be asigned the ip before you can start to use it.

as far as tracing you its called a traceroute program which will trace the packets graphicly. you can do it in the command line in dos by the command "tracert". there is a good article on neworder about this that was released in the new article section a few days ago.
 #7 
Old 2002-04-24, 01:28
cense cense is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Kazaa - Spyware - Traceing

The NT/2000/XP software which is like winipcfg on 9x is ipconfig

--
cEnsE
evil, corruption and bad taste
 #8 
Old 2002-04-24, 12:52
Viper2002 Viper2002 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Kazaa - Spyware - Traceing

Typing 'WINIPCFG' at a dos prompt will allow you to configure your ip address, I think this is what you mean.

--Viper--
 #9 
Old 2002-04-24, 19:30
syphon detonator syphon detonator is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Kazaa - Spyware - Traceing

what OS are you running because thats how you do it in win 9x systems
 #10 
Old 2002-04-25, 09:27
Viper2002 Viper2002 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Kazaa - Spyware - Traceing

I run 98 it gives me all I need and more, I have han 2000 and xp installed and I didnt like eighter of them.

Im stayin with 98 for the moment.

--Viper--
 #11 
Old 2002-04-25, 19:23
syphon detonator syphon detonator is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Kazaa - Spyware - Traceing

likewise except i use 98 SE. millenium is far infeior to 98. windows 2000 is a good M$ OS. i think im going to 2000 pro shortly.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics