About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Technology > Technophiliacs & Technophiles
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technophiliacs & Technophiles The Technophiliacs forum is for discussing any and all forms of tech and other types of social backwardness. Including discussions of strange home-brewed hardware technology. Where to get good tools. How to make fiberglass molds. Computer hardware and software technolgy, including operating systems, applications, networking, hardware, CPU's, disk drives, and other geeky things. Viruses and Artificial Life discussions. How to write HTML. End user tools discussions and support issues. Gating the Internet with other nets.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2001-06-27, 05:18
tek tek is offline
Regular
 
Default video camera distorter

hackershomepage.com sells a device for $100 that is ment to remotly distort a camera from up to 200 meters. it distorts it enough to allow the camera to be unable to clearly video you.

my question is this: is this device even possible? would it be hard to make?

thanks!
 #2 
Old 2001-06-27, 07:12
FeedTheGods FeedTheGods is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: video camera distorter

Just shine a laser pointer in the camara...as long as you are shining it at the lens the camara will be distorted. I used to do this at a local Burger King all the time (yes, a camara in BK)...they'd get pissed...

------------------
"Possessed, I feel the conquering will down inside me - Strength, the strength of many to crush who might stop me...." - Mouth for War, Pantera
 #3 
Old 2001-06-28, 01:59
tek tek is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: video camera distorter

thanks for the tip. does that distort the whole picture or just a small area? thanks again
 #4 
Old 2001-06-29, 13:59
Kameron Kameron is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: video camera distorter

Wait a sec, I remember something about this.

It goes something like this:
CCTV cameras have poor EMSEC so it is possible to pick up their traffic, since the stream is continuous and fairly systematic it is possible to detect the camera's even if they are well hidden. If the camera has poor EM shielding then I don't see why you can't fuck it up, of course your going to need a different box of tricks if it's digital and that kind of limitation doesn't apply to Feed's method.
the laser method would I suspect bloom the whole picture of a significant portion of it.
Video camera's I've worked with often have automatic light level correction (ALLC) and if you used a laser it would cause the rest of the screen to be corrected by reducing the brightness which means that camera is going to show bugger all. For camera's with out ALLC my instinct tells me they are going to be buggered but I'm not sure why.
I'll have a look around, I remember a similar discussion of Int. Cypherpunks but I'm off to the countryside on Monday and don't have access to a computer till I get back so it may be a little while - prod me in the electronic sense if (better make that when) I forget.


------------------
~Kameron
Carpe Aptenodytes! (Seize the Penguins!)
 #5 
Old 2001-06-30, 23:24
tek tek is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: video camera distorter

thanks for the info and ideas. keep 'em comming!
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics