|
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
register |
bbs |
search |
rss |
faq |
about
|
 |
 |
meet up |
add to del.icio.us |
digg it
|
 |
 |
| Technophiliacs & Technophiles The Technophiliacs forum is for discussing any and all forms of tech and other types of social backwardness. Including discussions of strange home-brewed hardware technology. Where to get good tools. How to make fiberglass molds. Computer hardware and software technolgy, including operating systems, applications, networking, hardware, CPU's, disk drives, and other geeky things. Viruses and Artificial Life discussions. How to write HTML. End user tools discussions and support issues. Gating the Internet with other nets. |
 |
|
|
#1
 2002-01-17, 10:37
|
God81 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Satellite internet connection..........
Yeah, I'm interested in getting the DirecWay 2 way satellite system for my internet service but, the local best buy only has the one way system..... I was told you can buy an adapter to make it a two way system but, I have no clue where to get it.......
My question is do any of you know any sites where I can get this adapter or whatever it is??
If I can find this adapter then it will be cheaper for me because best buy will install for free but, if I have to buy a two way system there gonna want like 200 just to install so, any help would be appreciated.......
|
|
#2
 2002-01-17, 22:51
|
|
|
Re: Satellite internet connection..........
I hear that they suck for gaming.
|
|
#3
 2002-01-19, 07:27
|
soullace 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Satellite internet connection..........
I would watch out if you need low latency. The signals they send must travel a long distance through the air, this takes time hence raising the latency. On the plus side the throughput for it is great. So if your just downloading, or browsing its great. If your playing counter-strike it will blow goats.
|
|
#4
 2002-01-19, 17:12
|
|
|
Re: Satellite internet connection..........
as far as I know the ground servers got most common sites presaved and if you want to see a different page it has to be loaded first to be transmitted afterwards. Would you please explain how this could work with games or downloads?
|
|
#5
 2002-01-23, 04:01
|
soullace 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Satellite internet connection..........
Well the primise behind what they are doing is called caching. Caching is taking info that takes a long time to load or calculate, and storing it. This speeds up things if the caching can be done at times where speed is not critical.
As far as net browsing is concerned this is easy. You fetch pages apon customer request, and store them in a slot. They should be sorted so that pages that are loaded the most are in closer slots. Pages that are loaded less often will be shoved out of the cache(the slots) as more popular pages are pushed closer. So when a customer needs a page the ISP just sends them a page stored in the cache.
I still do not see how this speeds up the connection from the satillite to the ISP. Anyways, i'll now talk about how its almost impossible to cache a real time game like counter=strike and starcraft.
I these types of games updates to players postions, unit statitics, score, etc. Are little pieces of info that need to be sent quickly to allow the game to run smoothly. Now considering that changes in position, etc, are small pieces of information, and require minimal calculation, caching doesn't do much for ya. In fact it may slow things down.
I hope that helps you out.
|
|
#6
 2002-01-23, 11:26
|
|
|
Re: Satellite internet connection..........
duh, now read my reply to your post again and think of me being sarcastic. First you say it will blow goats, this means to me that it is shitty, not that it is impossible what you�re saying now ...
|
|
#7
 2002-01-25, 01:05
|
soullace 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Satellite internet connection..........
I was explaining caching systems. Rather or not caching will help is another thing all together.
|
|
 |
 |
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.

totse.com certificate signatures
|
 |
 |
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
|
|