About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Technology > Technophiliacs & Technophiles
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technophiliacs & Technophiles The Technophiliacs forum is for discussing any and all forms of tech and other types of social backwardness. Including discussions of strange home-brewed hardware technology. Where to get good tools. How to make fiberglass molds. Computer hardware and software technolgy, including operating systems, applications, networking, hardware, CPU's, disk drives, and other geeky things. Viruses and Artificial Life discussions. How to write HTML. End user tools discussions and support issues. Gating the Internet with other nets.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-08-03, 02:20
MagKnightX MagKnightX is offline
Regular
 
Default A couple of questions

Hey. I just had a few questions that I suppose some people here could answer for me:

1. We (my family) have a 4-port router (high-bandwidth cable modem ), currently full. We need to hook up another computer to it. We also have a hub (not currently attached). What I'm thinking, is remove one of the computers and patch the hub in in its place, then reconnect the computer and connect the new one as well. Will this work?

2. If somebody could point me to a good tutorial on how to set up a dual-boot Linux-Windows machine using 2 hard drives, I'd be grateful.

3. If somebody could point me to a tutorial on how to set up a server, I'd be grateful as well.
 #2 
Old 2002-08-03, 04:08
cense cense is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: A couple of questions

quote:
1. We (my family) have a 4-port router (high-bandwidth cable modem ), currently full. We need to hook up another computer to it. We also have a hub (not currently attached). What I'm thinking, is remove one of the computers and patch the hub in in its place, then reconnect the computer and connect the new one as well. Will this work?


Do both your router and your hub have an uplink port? If not, you will need a crossover cable. It looks like a normal cable but the send and recieve pins are crossed.

quote:
2. If somebody could point me to a good tutorial on how to set up a dual-boot Linux-Windows machine using 2 hard drives, I'd be grateful.


The deal is essentially the same for 1 or two harddrives. The only major difference is the partitioning, and its easy to figure that out with 2 drives. Essentially, you can think of a dual boot setup on 2 drives like 2 system. Each as if they only contained the one drive. (This of course is not a perfect analogy because of the bootloader aspect).

Here are some links:
http://www.mozillaquest.com/stories_01/DualBoot_PqMagic-01/MQ-Mag_01_DualBoot_Story-01_01.html
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-dboot.html

I really don't know if these are any good but it should be a start. Also check out the Linux+Windows HOWTO at:
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Linux+Windows-HOWTO/index.html

quote:
3. If somebody could point me to a tutorial on how to set up a server, I'd be grateful as well.


As in setting up HTTP (apache), FTP, telnet, etc? Each of these kinds of servers are setup differently. For HTTP, check out http://www.apache.org/ for telnet and other inet daemons check out: http://www.tldp.org/LDP/nag2/ and that should take care of FTP as well.

Have fun.
 #3 
Old 2002-08-03, 04:19
MagKnightX MagKnightX is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: A couple of questions

Well, I guess HTTP and FTP, because I want to run a site, but I also want to be able to have downloads.
 #4 
Old 2002-08-03, 19:18
cense cense is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: A couple of questions

I would stick with having HTTP downloads. Otherwise you have to run an anonymous FTP server which can be a bad thing if you dont know what you are doing...

The Linux Network Administrator's Guide should help you out with setting up some stuff and if not, http://www.apache.org/ will have everything you ever wanted to know about serving web pages through apache.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics