About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Entertainment > Moving Pictures
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Moving Pictures This area is for discussing any technology that creates moving pictures. Topics in the past have covered favorite avant garde films, old TV sitcoms, animation, current trash TV, TV news, making movies, home brew video, video equipment, and multimedia.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-12-11, 17:08
Zero the Inestimable Zero the Inestimable is offline
Regular
 
Default Nick and Norm

����Have any of you been subjected to any of the "Nick and Norm" commercials airing on US cable this week? This is a rather backhanded bid of an ad campaign by the US government (The DEA and Ad Council) to scare people.
����It features two men, a young guy and an old guy. The young guy apparently represnets the skeptics - In the first commecrcial of the set he proclaims that the previous "drugs support terrorists" ad capaign is a ploy. A fearmongering trick to scare the public into complicity. The older man, who is supposed to represtent the moral right and reason (though really, in my opinion, represents only bullheaded and steadfast denial of the truth) insists with no basis that drug money does indeed support terroists, the very same ones that flew planes into the World Trade Center, full stop. I find it interesting that the younger man - who is the representation of "wrong" if we follow the ad's logic - has reasons for his views. He's a skeptic because he can think. The older man, the representation of "right" and "truth" has no reasoning and no proof behind his assertion. It just is because he said so, and we're supposed to believe it.
����Has anyone else found themselves drawing a few real-life parallels from this ad? Where have we noticed this pattern before?

~Zero
 #2 
Old 2002-12-11, 22:23
bunghole bunghole is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Nick and Norm

I havn't seen that ad yet(I havn't watched tv in a while), but have you seen the orwellian "what if america wasn't america?" ad where the guy goes to the library to take out a dangerous book and the librarian tries too get his name? At first I thought that ad was advocating such things, and it was part of the department of homeland security or something. I'll post again when I see the ad.
 #3 
Old 2002-12-12, 00:08
Zero the Inestimable Zero the Inestimable is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Nick and Norm

����The irony in that ad is the fact that america is steadily moving towards just that already. They just want to wave away the skeptic's 'paranoid delusions'. With an ad that so obviously proves that such a thing could never, ever happen in our america(notice the sarcasm) what else do the sheeple have to suspect?
����I already get funny looks for some of the regular things I do throughout the day. I got carded and had my ID info written down buying gardening supplies the other day. The supplies weren't explosive in nature and I was actually going to be using them legitimately, but some state cops came by and told the pimpleface behind the counter that 'terrorists' make bombs from fertilizer and to get the info from anyone 'suspicious'. I don't care. I'm not going to make bombs from driveway salt and liquid plant food. It's the principle of the thing that bugs me, though.

~Zero
 #4 
Old 2002-12-13, 13:44
ubermutant ubermutant is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Nick and Norm

You know that most people will probably take in these ads hook line and sinker.

also those pot commercials that go this is dan and dans dealer. this is the baby dan slaughtered because he was high.

don't get me wrong i hate drugs especially pot. but these commercials are a waste of film at best.

also those damn truth commercials which feature
a randomly funded 'underground' tobacco resistance movement. They go around doing goofy petty crap and it's supposed to educate you.
and those damn commercials that look like collages. with that fruitcake named lumpy.
damn i hate that..
sorry for the rant


 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics