About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Entertainment > Moving Pictures
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Moving Pictures This area is for discussing any technology that creates moving pictures. Topics in the past have covered favorite avant garde films, old TV sitcoms, animation, current trash TV, TV news, making movies, home brew video, video equipment, and multimedia.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-06-12, 20:12
bunghole bunghole is offline
Regular
 
Default Pink Floyd - The Wall

anyone see this movie? I thought it was pretty cool, although i didn't understand it that well. Is the main guy symbolizing Roger Walters?
 #2 
Old 2002-06-22, 15:41
grungymagician grungymagician is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Pink Floyd - The Wall

i've seen it, quite a few times, its so cool. messed up, a good messed up that is. watch it when your high, too cool.
 #3 
Old 2002-07-05, 22:27
SUPERKILLER1911 SUPERKILLER1911 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Pink Floyd - The Wall

Its waters not walters.......
 #4 
Old 2002-07-16, 19:59
tr0g tr0g is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Pink Floyd - The Wall

All of those movies done in the 70s and early 80s made no sense. Hollywood was high on drugs. It only made sense to them. but they try and make you believe its symbolic.




tommy, Sgt pepper lonely hearts club Band, Yellow Submarine, Give My Regards to Broadstreet are all other good Rock Movies that made little sense but fun to watch.
 #5 
Old 2002-07-19, 21:12
hp hp is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Pink Floyd - The Wall


The main guy is symbolising the post-WW2 British society in general, as seen through Roger Waters' eyes.

Except that, unlike many full movies, it doesn't neccesserly go in a choronological order, not does it pass the information with the most precise accurcy. It just shows images and scenes of various events which are relevent to Roger Waters' generation.

I think it's an awesome movie all right. Great sound and a beautiful picture.

 #6 
Old 2002-07-27, 20:11
Renegadeboy Renegadeboy is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Pink Floyd - The Wall

pinkfloyd rocks
 #7 
Old 2002-08-02, 20:28
Regular
 
Default Re: Pink Floyd - The Wall

quote:
Originally posted by hp:
...relevent to Roger Waters' generation.


I agree, but don't you think that it's more personal to Waters himself? I always got the impression that he was personally tormented by insanity and war, among others.

I think The Wall was an attempt to excise his personal demons.
 #8 
Old 2002-08-09, 16:13
hp hp is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Pink Floyd - The Wall


Hello User. It's nice to see you in the media forum. It's even nicer to see you in a Pink Floyd related topic.

quote:
don't you think that it's more personal to Waters himself?


Nope. I found that the movie had too many generalisations which applied to a particular group of people rather to one person only. Granted, some scenes in the movie are based on subjects relevant to Water himself, but i'm sure that many people of his era can relate to it. The memories of a child growing without a father, the aversion to indoctrination err... education system, the rock n' roll stuff etc... None of it seems too personal. The only part in the movie which makes me think of Roger Waters is when the topic of insanity was brought up. Although this part was rather confusing, so I have no fucking clue what the hell did I just see. Plus I was too busy listening to the sweet, sweet music.

But then again, Roger was never known as crazy. So I don't know why I associated crazyness with him in the first place...

quote:
I always got the impression that he was personally tormented by insanity and war, among others.


He was tormented by the war all right. The entire 'The Final Cut' album, as well as many other songs found on other records, will tell you that. But insanity? Hmmm... what makes you think so? I hope you're not confusing him with Syd 'Crazy Diamond' Barrett.

 #9 
Old 2002-08-13, 03:09
Regular
 
Default Re: Pink Floyd - The Wall

quote:
Hello User. It's nice to see you in the media forum.


lol, I'm just here to start some shit with you hp. Seriously though, I'm a huge Floyd fan.

Barrett's insanity had a profound effect on Waters. It permeates a lot of his writing. I'm not saying Waters is insane, just that the subject of insanity, is one of his idiosyncracies.

Nor am I saying that The Wall is biographical in nature, just that the subject matter relates to his life experiences, and not just his "generation's". Waters' obsession was one of the problems between him and Gilmore in the later years. Look at the content of the individual projects; The Final Cut is full-on Waters' views on politics and war, while Gilmore's projects went in a different direction.
 #10 
Old 2002-08-19, 22:56
hp hp is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Pink Floyd - The Wall


quote:
Seriously though, I'm a huge Floyd fan.


That's nice. So am I. Wanna fuck?

quote:
Barrett's insanity had a profound effect on Waters. It permeates a lot of his writing. I'm not saying Waters is insane, just that the subject of insanity, is one of his idiosyncracies.


Hmmm... yeah, I got that feeling too. Though i'm not sure if I think the same think as you think. Care to elaborate perhaps?

quote:
Nor am I saying that The Wall is biographical in nature, just that the subject matter relates to his life experiences, and not just his "generation's".


Yes, and those experiences were very commun among his generation. That's what I said from the start.

[quote] Look at the content of the individual projects; The Final Cut is full-on Waters' views on politics and war, while Gilmore's projects went in a different direction. [/quote[

I see your point... I think.

p.s. sorry for not replying so long. I almost forgot we had a conversation here.
 #11 
Old 2002-09-07, 18:58
Regular
 
Default Re: Pink Floyd - The Wall

quote:
Originally posted by hp:
Wanna fuck?


Unless you've become an attractive young female, no.

quote:
Care to elaborate perhaps?


I can personally relate to the Waters/Barrett relationship, because my ex-wife is a paranoid schizophrenic. When someone close to you goes insane, it affects you on many levels. It's sad, because it resembles that person dying; it causes self-doubt (there were many times I wondered if the crazy bitch might be sane, and that I was the one having delusions); your past and future with that person is erased;

I just think that he lost a spiritual source in his life when Barrett went insane.
 #12 
Old 2002-09-21, 22:29
nw freak nw freak is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Pink Floyd - The Wall

Did you suspect your wife was like this when you met her?
 #13 
Old 2002-09-26, 16:12
cense cense is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Pink Floyd - The Wall

Music+Film always affects me more personally than the thought of how it affected the creator. Its something for me, regardless of who made it or who masterminded it. Pressumably, im a selfish whore.
 #14 
Old 2002-10-03, 02:00
Regular
 
Default Re: Pink Floyd - The Wall

quote:
Originally posted by nw freak:
Did you suspect your wife was like this when you met her?


Yes, but I was young and stupid, and we fucked so well together. It seemed important at the time.

 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics