About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Entertainment > Moving Pictures
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Moving Pictures This area is for discussing any technology that creates moving pictures. Topics in the past have covered favorite avant garde films, old TV sitcoms, animation, current trash TV, TV news, making movies, home brew video, video equipment, and multimedia.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-04-20, 02:08
Impulses Impulses is offline
Regular
 
Default What's with anime?

I don't understand why anime is so loved and popular. The animation is horrid with lame as hell story lines and it all seems the same. What is with the huge hair!?! Is there something I'm missing? Is there some reason no one else can see this the way I do?
 #2 
Old 2002-04-21, 02:39
Originator Originator is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What's with anime?

Well um first of all, a great many animes are kid's shows...meant for kids. You clearly have been watching those. There are many more adult and much more interesting, both philosophically and artistically. I recommend Neo-Genesis:Evangelion, try catching some of the first episodes, rent them or something. It should change your mind, if it doesn't, let me know why.
 #3 
Old 2002-04-21, 04:35
Regular
 
Yami no tensai
Default Re: What's with anime?

There are two types of Anime, you got your hardcore anime (the good shit) like Ninja Scroll, and then you got your softcore, kiddy, big teardrop on the head, growing 50 feet when anrgy, radically exagurated anime like Pokemon.

Sometimes the two of them are mixed together though to make a hardcore anime that goes softcore during certain parts like comedy scenes, or a softcore that goes hardcore during serious moments.

[This message has been edited by Dark_Magneto (edited 04-21-2002).]
 #4 
Old 2002-04-21, 06:25
Null Null is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What's with anime?

anime is the most pointless shit in the world..im sorry..i dont find serious cartoons entertaining. cartoons must be funny to keep my attention.
 #5 
Old 2002-04-21, 18:37
chase161 chase161 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What's with anime?

The reason why I like anime is because the death scenes are much more graphic. Like the death scene in ninja scroll where jubei kills this guy made of rock. actually all of ninja scroll kicks ass. Watch that movie then say whether or not you like anime. The anime you're talking about is fucking Dragonball Z? no fuckin wonder, that shit is made for kids. stupid kid.
 #6 
Old 2002-04-21, 23:30
Regular
 
Yami no tensai
Default Re: What's with anime?

Ninja Scroll is THE fucking anime, still the best one I have seen to date. Your talking about Tessai, the one that had the ability to turn his skin to stone, that scene was the shit.

The Golgo 13 series is pretty cool too.
 #7 
Old 2002-04-24, 01:45
Regular
 
Behind the boat house
Default Re: What's with anime?

Eh, some of it I've seen has been good, but for the most part I have to agree with you. I think a lot of the time the animation is cheap and an excuse for half assed artists to have careers and the plots are almost always too campy and predictable for me to stand.

Cheers,
Lost
 #8 
Old 2002-04-24, 17:25
Impulses Impulses is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What's with anime?

Hmmm... I have only heard of that ridiculous kiidy crap. I will give anime another try, but on a more mature level.

 #9 
Old 2002-04-24, 20:52
Regular
 
Default Re: What's with anime?

Dark,

i bought some of the Golgo 13 manga, and i can't stand it. it's horribly drawn. i suppose the movie is better. are they by the same guy?

and why the hell does duke togo have big ass creases in his face? im not dissing your favourite, but i just wanna know.
 #10 
Old 2002-04-28, 16:08
t0ne t0ne is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What's with anime?

I've seen ninja scrool, cool shit. I, personaly, am a big fan of the Gundam Wing series(95ish) it's still on some of the latenight cartoon channels...

Another anime movie I liked was something like, "Space train 66" I dunno if that's the title but it was cool movie..
 #11 
Old 2002-05-01, 15:12
cense cense is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What's with anime?

three movies all made by the same guys:

Akira
Ghost In The Shell
Jin-Roh

Thos fucking kick some serious ass and are right up there with ninja scroll.
 #12 
Old 2002-05-01, 16:31
Regular
 
Yami no tensai
Default Re: What's with anime?

Golgo 13: The Professional is an animated film made back in the 80's, all films back in the 80's were drawn with pretty much the same style It's not drawn excellent like most modern day anime but it's not bad. The Golgo 13 comics I have not read yet so I cannot vouch for them.

I never really knew what the 2 lines on his face were for, I think they are scars but it doesn't explain them in the movie. I have played the 2 Golgo 13 games for the NES (Golgo 13: Top Secret Episode and Golgo 13: Mafat Conspiracy, very old games) and watched Golgo 13: The Professional (the old 80's film) and the more recent Golgo 13: Queen Bee, which was made in 98.

The films were pretty cool, I found the character interesting and the story/action to be cool. There is also another series I watched called "Crying Freeman" which I found to be a good series. The 4'th tape in the series is drawn pretty bad though because they switched artists, but other than that it was a good series with a cool portrayal of an assassin.
 #13 
Old 2002-05-25, 08:09
Samuli Samuli is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What's with anime?

I think the "softcore" anime is great! I mean it's so ridiculous. The animation sucks, the hair is too, well, green, and the fighting scenes are totally rubbish. All you can do is laugh.

I was thinking why it's called anime. Then I came to this conclusion: it wasn't well enough animated to be called an animation, so they just decided to name it a "half animation" or anime.

Sorry about that lame conclusion, I just felt like telling it.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics