About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Entertainment > ... and Rock and Roll
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

... and Rock and Roll All things music and music related. Listening, Buying, Selling, Making, or Breaking. Recording, mixing, sequencing, and amplifying. What tech to use and how to use it to make music.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2003-02-01, 17:38
deptstoremook deptstoremook is offline
Regular
 
Default Best way to clean LP's (33 1/3)

OK, so my mom and dad have pretty much said I can use their 300+ INSANE record collection at my bidding, on the one condition that I clean all of them. I've been using a hand towel, and going around the record on both sides in a circular manner. should I be using a solvent, or something? Thanks!
 #2 
Old 2003-02-01, 17:46
devoiced devoiced is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Best way to clean LP's (33 1/3)

when my CDs have small scratches on them, like the ones that are just big enough to skip or stop, i spray windex on it.
 #3 
Old 2003-02-01, 18:43
deptstoremook deptstoremook is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Best way to clean LP's (33 1/3)

Thanks, but I'm talking about LP's/Vinyl/Records. I do that too for cd's
 #4 
Old 2003-02-01, 19:46
andrewcasa andrewcasa is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Best way to clean LP's (33 1/3)

i've seen special kits to clean records that have this special velvet type brush that are usually pretty cheap, that might be the safest way to go if you wanna make sure they don't get scratched.
 #5 
Old 2003-02-01, 20:02
d0m d0m is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Best way to clean LP's (33 1/3)

great post. i need to clean mine as well, but never learned. also, u selling those records ur mom gave you??


http://www.valvesunlimited.demon.co.uk/Noframes/Cleaning.htm
http://members.tripod.com/~Vinylville/clean-2.html (3 popups)
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Venue/6784/guide.html (1 popup)
 #6 
Old 2003-02-01, 21:07
deptstoremook deptstoremook is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Best way to clean LP's (33 1/3)

Wow, what great links! thanks d0m.

I counted, and it's only ~200 records, which makes my job a lot easier. Still a ton of great ones, though. And we have a huge cd collection, too

As for selling them, I may be, but not any time soon. I want to enjoy them, and since LP's aren't selling for all that much these days (except This One), so I may as well enjoy them, and when I'm older I can sell them for a lot if they're in good condition

[This message has been edited by deptstoremook (edited 02-01-2003).]
 #7 
Old 2003-02-02, 01:07
djsam djsam is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Best way to clean LP's (33 1/3)

Welcome to the wonderful world of vinyl my friend!

I advise you to..
1) Just whipe them off with something soft but not too rough (like a soft hand towel)

2) Listen to them all over and over again for hours.
 #8 
Old 2003-02-02, 01:32
SomeEverydayNobody SomeEverydayNobody is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Best way to clean LP's (33 1/3)

Gotta love Pink Floyd.....

What are some of the bands you've got in that collection?
 #9 
Old 2003-02-02, 04:40
d0m d0m is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Best way to clean LP's (33 1/3)

deptstoremook- cool, well depending on what u got, if u do decide to sell, i may be interested. so hit me up if the time comes.
 #10 
Old 2003-02-02, 14:41
Ikba333 Ikba333 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Best way to clean LP's (33 1/3)

quote:
Originally posted by djsam:
Welcome to the wonderful world of vinyl my friend!

I advise you to..
1) Just whipe them off with something soft but not too rough (like a soft hand towel)

2) Listen to them all over and over again for hours.




Right on!
This is a cool thread! Yeah, the best way is to dust em off. If you can get a 'velvet type wipe brush' for them, do. And never put a solvent on them. Otherwise just listen to em! I love to listen to my records! I don't do it enough!
Hey how are you storing yours? Flat on top of one another or standing up behind one another? Just curious to how most people store them....Thanks!
 #11 
Old 2003-02-02, 23:15
deptstoremook deptstoremook is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Best way to clean LP's (33 1/3)

Well, on my mom's advice I'm storing them straight up, which makes sense I suppose (why put 50+ lbs of weight on a record).

I have a ton of great records:

-every- pink floyd album (yes, even a collection of great dance songs)

~10 stones albums (I don't really like them *gasp!*, so I'm not sure)

every led zeppelin lp

I believe we have every US beatles album, with the exception of meet the beatles, I believe

The doors + the best of the doors

3 Cream albums (disraeli gears and 2 others)

a few eagles lps

oh and 2 copies of surrealistic pillow (which is my favorite album )

those are what I've listened to so far, there's a lot more. Again, I don't think I could bring myself to sell them, but if I ever decide to, I know who to call. I think records actually sound better than cds, in a way. Ours are in good condition, too, so there's not too much popping and scratching.

[This message has been edited by deptstoremook (edited 02-02-2003).]
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics