About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Entertainment > ... and Rock and Roll
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

... and Rock and Roll All things music and music related. Listening, Buying, Selling, Making, or Breaking. Recording, mixing, sequencing, and amplifying. What tech to use and how to use it to make music.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-12-21, 18:31
Green_Giant Green_Giant is offline
Regular
 
Default Learning bass

A freind of mine owed me a favor, in return he gave me a bass guitar with amp. He knew that I played no instruments and that I wanted to learn bass.

To sum it all up, I have a bass and a desire to learn. Does anyone have any suggestions, links or recommended reading?
 #2 
Old 2002-12-21, 22:20
Ignotum Per Igotius Ignotum Per Igotius is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Learning bass

Hi. I am new at the Bass myself. I stopped singing for a bit and wanted to start playing an instrument . I suggest you get your friend to teach you some simple stuff . Then move on to playing really simple songs like Ramones and Misfits stuff. heres a link to help a bit.
http://www.punkhardcore.com/

Their is a lesson page and a tabs page . Have fun because I know I am .
 #3 
Old 2002-12-22, 00:34
asaq asaq is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Learning bass

i would suggest to start with some simple
blues stuff
mabye this sounds boring...
but with a little practice you will be able to play the blues with some other people!!
find a blues cafe were the have jam sessions
and just join in .!!!
there is nothing better then playing (making)music with other people!!!!!
or does someone disagree...

when i was 10years old i played the blues on stage 4 the 1st time (it must have been very bad) but it was great!!!
see you in stage!!!!!
 #4 
Old 2002-12-22, 07:25
Green_Giant Green_Giant is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Learning bass

Right now I'm learning 'little green bag' by George Baker.


Ho Ho Ho!
 #5 
Old 2002-12-22, 23:41
Dougy Dougy is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Learning bass

mxtabs.net yo, learn how to read tablature, you will learn it quickly
 #6 
Old 2002-12-23, 00:14
Green_Giant Green_Giant is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Learning bass

I already know how to read tabs.
I've been practicing for less than a week and I think I'm getting the hang of it.
The only problems I'm having is knowing what fingers to put on which frets. I am also trying to figure out hammer ons.

I have yet to play a bloody bass......

Ho Ho Ho!



[This message has been edited by Green_Giant (edited 12-23-2002).]
 #7 
Old 2002-12-26, 01:16
syphon detonator syphon detonator is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Learning bass

did you get some basic bass books? they really do help but i recomend a teacher.
 #8 
Old 2002-12-26, 18:32
Green_Giant Green_Giant is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Learning bass

I have yet to get any books on the subject, I need to scrape some cash together.
Christmas = >$
But I have been scanning the net for what [URL= http://www.basstabarchive.com/lessons/]little[/URL] I can find.
As fo a teacher, I have a few friends that could help, but its hard to find time in my schedule for that.


Ho Ho Ho!
 #9 
Old 2002-12-27, 04:31
syphon detonator syphon detonator is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Learning bass

no your friends are your friends, not your bass instructor. you need to get a rela teacher because they will never be unbiased enough to do any good.
 #10 
Old 2002-12-27, 07:38
Green_Giant Green_Giant is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Learning bass

Yeah, that would be best.
But ,once again, I am lacking in the time and money department.
Oh well...............


Ho Ho Ho!
 #11 
Old 2002-12-28, 21:26
red bud red bud is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Learning bass

**THE KEY to playing good bass guitar is to have perfect rythm. Once you have that all you need is to learn all the scales! With the scales down you can play any kind of music with anyone.
 #12 
Old 2003-01-04, 09:05
Phengophobia Phengophobia is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Learning bass

The best way to learn bass would be to start with your scales and have a basic understanding of music if you're going to take it seriously. Developing a good sense of time starting off with basic rhythms and chord progressions (punk) is a good way to start. If you want to be a killer bassist you have to understand music, not just be able to play individual songs. A good teacher will help, but if you've got the determination to try to understand scales, chord structure, basic modes, etc. you'll be better than 90% of the self-proclaimed bass players out there.
 #13 
Old 2003-01-05, 05:43
Green_Giant Green_Giant is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Learning bass

Mmmmm.....bass scales

Ho Ho Ho!

[This message has been edited by Green_Giant (edited 01-05-2003).]
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics